Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Event Organizer for PorcFest 2012  (Read 23512 times)

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: New Event Organizer for PorcFest 2012
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 07:38:50 am »

I will say that it was a little like a movie that's really good all the way through and then kind of ends on a whimper since apparently nothing happened Sunday when I'm so used to a nice cap off.  

You mean 'Happy Ending'?

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »

If an individual wants to volunteer to assist at Porcfest 2012, wherever they are needed, who should they contact?

Where should individuals submit ideas and feedback about Porcfest?  

Should interested persons do the above on this thread or should we start a new one?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:59:55 pm by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 03:06:30 pm »

My suggestion would be to write it all down... and then in about a month ask.....

(the organizers of PF11  will need to take moments to breathe... and if they get emails now... they might get lost in the shuffle)

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 08:52:18 am »

Afaik very few people lit up, and those that did were going to anyway. The 4:20pm photo time was chosen not to coincide with pot smoking, but to give those who were working (JJ, the bands, etc) a concrete time to show up and get in the photo, while still giving us (the other people who were actually working) time to get everyone else down there. The NBC shirts (Normal By Comparison) elicited the 420 comment(s). Maybe the joke was in poor taste, old, or could have been better, but I dare everyone of YOU to try organizing a festival for 52 weeks, 20-80 hours a week, then run said festival with MINIMAL assistance, and still be funny the last day.

PS whoever the lady is that came up to me during the family carnival to berate me about the group photo POSSIBLY 'competing' (I designed the schedule so NOTHING would compete with the group photo. That is the ONLY 'event' I scheduled that way) who I've NEVER MET BEFORE, and who has NEVER SPOKEN TO ME... Oh geez I got nothing nice to say about her...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:19:37 pm by Sovereign Curtis »
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:44 am »

Actually, I think the Osbornes should organize Porcfest.  He seemed to think he could do it better, and I'd like to see him try it.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

sandm000

• Brian
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 10:20:09 am »

Btw afaik very few people lit up, and those that did were going to anyway. The 4:20pm photo time was chosen not to coincide with pot smoking, but to give those who were working (JJ, the bands, etc) a concrete time to show up and get in the photo, while still giving us (the other people who were actually working) time to get everyone else down there. The NBC shirts (Normal By Comparison) elicited the 420 comment(s). Maybe the joke was in poor taste, old, or could have been better, but I dare everyone of YOU to try organizing a festival for 52 weeks, 20-80 hours a week, then run said festival with MINIMAL assistance, and still be funny the last day.

PS whoever the lady is that came up to me during the family carnival to berate me about the group photo POSSIBLY 'competing' (I designed the schedule so NOTHING would compete with the group photo. That is the ONLY 'event' I scheduled that way) who I've NEVER MET BEFORE, and who has NEVER SPOKEN TO ME... Oh geez I got nothing nice to say about her...

I had no problem with people lighting up, or being singled out as NBC to have smoke blown in my direction. It was a joke, and I saw it as such. The reason it wasn't funny is this: The group photo was scheduled for 4:00, and we were "held" until 4:20. I get that you were trying to organize so that everyone could be in the picture. I didn't want to wait 20 minutes for it (and from the chanting, neither did the other people on the hill), if you had put down 4:10 as the photo time, I think it would have gone over better. But at this point, we're picking nits. None of the problems ruined my PF experience. I moved 4 years ago, I don't need to be convinced to move, so I'm probably not looking at it from the same perspective as the out of staters.
A government is not legitimate merely because it exists. 
-Jeane J. Kirkpatrick

The government's War on Poverty has transformed poverty from a short-term misfortune into a career choice.-Harry Browne

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work.-Milton Friedman

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 10:30:23 am »

Actually, I think the Osbornes should organize Porcfest.  He seemed to think he could do it better, and I'd like to see him try it.

No disrespect intended to Curtis, and the folks who did a wonderful job organizing this years PorcFest, but I believe a new organizer for next year would be a good idea.  Given the time and effort involved it is really to much to ask one person to do it over and over.  Actually until the past 2 years, we always had a new person take the mantel each year.  New ideas, new perspective, and sharing the burden seems to  be a good idea.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 11:09:28 am »

Curtis should probably be hired by Osborne to promote Porcfest 2012. 

I also agree with Dave - Carla had a great time this year due to not having the responsibility of organizing the event.  Now Curtis can have the burden lifted as well.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 11:12:47 am »

The group photo was scheduled for 4:00, and we were "held" until 4:20. I get that you were trying to organize so that everyone could be in the picture. I didn't want to wait 20 minutes for it (and from the chanting, neither did the other people on the hill), if you had put down 4:10 as the photo time, I think it would have gone over better.

I got the impression that was a joke too and not really a 420 thing.  Seems like the photo always takes longer than people would like so we can fill it up with as many people as possible including some folks who find out about it last minute.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 01:40:01 pm »

52 weeks 20-80 hours per week!!!!!  Is this in addition to a job?  Is Porcfest 100% volunteer or does anyone get paid?  Good grief, with those kinds of hours and dedication I vote that at a minimum anyone that does all that work gets at least a porcupine trophy as an award for being a top volunteer.

Speaking of Porcfest, where can people donate to Porcfest 2012 (financially)?  Where can people sign up to volunteer for a certain amount of hours in 2012 or something ( it seems like a tall order for 1 or a few people to cover it all).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:41:56 pm by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 02:17:19 pm »

The group photo was scheduled for 4:00, and we were "held" until 4:20. I get that you were trying to organize so that everyone could be in the picture. I didn't want to wait 20 minutes for it (and from the chanting, neither did the other people on the hill), if you had put down 4:10 as the photo time, I think it would have gone over better.

I got the impression that was a joke too and not really a 420 thing.  Seems like the photo always takes longer than people would like so we can fill it up with as many people as possible including some folks who find out about it last minute.

I am 99.999% sure that dale has hit it here.

NBC.. proud as a peacock.

ny2nh

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 09:20:30 pm »

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 09:37:26 pm »

For those that didn't witness it over the last year ..... yes I would say that Curtis worked on it many hours each week.
I am sure he made plenty of mistakes, but one photo shoot gone bad shouldn't ruin the whole week.
Every year people will complain about how porcfest is run. There are lots of ways to deal with it that are more pleasant than calling for Curtis' head.
But then Curtis is funny looking and wears those creepy fed sunglasses .... so let the tomatoes fly. >:D
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 07:23:20 am »

52 weeks 20-80 hours per week!!!!!  Is this in addition to a job?  Is Porcfest 100% volunteer or does anyone get paid?  Good grief, with those kinds of hours and dedication I vote that at a minimum anyone that does all that work gets at least a porcupine trophy as an award for being a top volunteer.

Speaking of Porcfest, where can people donate to Porcfest 2012 (financially)?  Where can people sign up to volunteer for a certain amount of hours in 2012 or something ( it seems like a tall order for 1 or a few people to cover it all).

Some folks got paid, but not me. Its mostly a volunteer event, and those who got paid were actually compensated below or at their cost of operating.

You can donate to PorcFest 2012 by paypaling your donation to info@freestateproject.org with the note "PF12$"
A new donation widget will be put up on PorcFest.com, soon.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:20:33 pm by Sovereign Curtis »
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 01:44:37 pm »

not only does he help make porcfest 2011 happen
he is already talking next year
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up