Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle Inspection Warning  (Read 15324 times)

freedomroad

Re: Vehicle Inspection Warning
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 01:04:44 am »

Soo... are there emission standards in NH or just the major cites of NH (Manchester, Portsmouth, Nausau)?

Statewide.

I swear my car will fail period, coming from Ohio where everyones poor, just having a car that works is all that matters.

Maybe sell it and buy a car for $1000 or so in NH.  If you don't have 3 months savings, you may not to consider waiting.  Maybe find 2 jobs where you live right now and work them for a couple months while you save up.  Of course, I'm not telling you what to do and you should do as you want.  It is just a suggestion.

What must a car have "functional" to pass an inspection, is it similar to WV or PA inspections?

In theory, everything.  It depends where you go.  Most of the time the inspector will not test every single switch.

NH is just about the worst place to go for an inspection.  FSPers have been working for 6 years to get a bill passed to fixed the massive problem.  The fix, making inspections and emissions testing happen every other year instead of the current system of every year, passed the NH House this year and is currently being considered in the NH Senate.  However, it sounds like your car is in such bad shape that even the fix won't help you :(

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 02:32:16 am »

Soo... are there emission standards in NH or just the major cites of NH (Manchester, Portsmouth, Nausau)? I swear my car will fail period, coming from Ohio where everyones poor, just having a car that works is all that matters.

I have a damaged exhaust system, bad wheel bearings, tie rods, both CV axles, bad turbo oil cooling system etc, also my car is 21yrs old.

What must a car have "functional" to pass an inspection, is it similar to WV or PA inspections?
There are no tailpipe emission tests in NH.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 06:01:30 am »

Soo... are there emission standards in NH or just the major cites of NH (Manchester, Portsmouth, Nausau)? I swear my car will fail period, coming from Ohio where everyones poor, just having a car that works is all that matters.

I have a damaged exhaust system, bad wheel bearings, tie rods, both CV axles, bad turbo oil cooling system etc, also my car is 21yrs old.

To reiterate what previous posters said - there are no tailpipe emissions, and being 21 years old your car is pre-OBDII so basically the emissions requirement is that the check engine light is not lit and nothing fails visual inspection.

Most shops would likely require that you fix most, if not all of the items you listed. The rules are written such that, under a strict interpretation, a proper inspection would take hours and almost any used car could be failed on a technicality. So, nobody follows the book 100%, some shops are relatively strict (they don't want their state licence taken away, or to be liable if you wreck), some outright try to take advantage of you, some are less thorough or don't even look at the car (this is less common, but I've heard of it happening "if you know the right people").
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 12:34:32 pm »

Soo... are there emission standards in NH or just the major cites of NH (Manchester, Portsmouth, Nausau)?

The only "emissions tests" are that you have the originally-installed emissions equipment installed, and no check engine light.  No sniffer.

Yes, that will most likely fail.

I don't think they'll care about your turbo, or that it's 21 years old, but the other items you list are all things that will fail the inspection.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Alex Libman

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 04:27:48 pm »

I'm glad I don't have to deal with this sort of BS anymore now that I've quit driving.  Having to walk places 2-4 hours a day has been beneficial for my health as well.  Unfortunately not everybody can do that...

Most people are still enslaved by their cars, and all the government interventionism that this brings, even if they only really need a car an average of a few hours per week.  For now this is just wishful thinking completely detached from reality, but it would be logical if a movement like the Free State Project eventually looked into ways of minimizing direct entanglements with highly regulated activities like driving, perhaps through grass-roots taxi / carpooling micro-businesses of some sort...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 04:32:11 pm by Alex Libman »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up