Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking about going but...  (Read 12243 times)

AgoristTeen2

Thinking about going but...
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:23:01 pm »

Hi everyone I am a 17 year old Agorist in SW Michigan, and I really want to go but...my grandma who is my legal guardian is reluctant to let me go and as far as I know, according to Michigan State law, if she says no, then I can't go without being considered a "runaway" Now is there anything anyone can think of that might help me convince her? Note she is a statist, but...she doesn't mind my libertarian anarchism...she thinks I'm wrong, yeah but she respects my right to it. Her reasons to not let me go are safety concerns as in people stealing from me, being the least of her worries. Now I've tried to convince her that there won't be a hell of alot of drug usage and sex, even though I know there might be since I know she definitely wouldn't let me go otherwise. Her other main concern is that I would end up having to go alone. While I am willing to just go off with or without her permission, I am incredibly reluctant to do so, since when I get back there'll be hell to pay, and I would rather not have to deal with that. I've tried the "I'm 17 grandma in a year I'll be moving out on my own and a couple months after that I'll be even farther away at Dartmouth" approach, along with the "I'll bring my two guns so that if some tries to commit armed robbery I can protect myself" approach. So are there any recommendation on what I can do/say to convince her to let me go? Also just exactly how safe is it actually? By "safe" I mean in terms of respect for private property and personal space? E.g. I won't leave my tent and return to find people in it smoking pot and having sex in my tent. Of course that was an extreme example and I don't think something that extreme would happen but...my point remains.

*EDIT: Oh one thing I forgot to add...I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to come along, but I'm not sure if he can or will come...and I always plan for the worst, which would be him not coming along. That's why I said I'd be going alone...if something happens and he ends up being able and being willing to come I'll change this post accordingly.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:32:56 pm by AgoristTeen2 »

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Thinking about going but...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:34:58 pm »

Now I've tried to convince her that there won't be a hell of alot of drug usage and sex, even though I know there might be since I know she definitely wouldn't let me go otherwise.

Trying to defraud your grandmother? >:D

By "safe" I mean in terms of respect for private property and personal space? E.g. I won't leave my tent and return to find people in it smoking pot and having sex in my tent. Of course that was an extreme example and I don't think something that extreme would happen but...my point remains.

... I once heard someone "lost" a folding chair. They claimed it was "stolen". But if so, I doubt intentionally.

Last year, I lost my wallet at PorcFest. Just fell out of my pocket. Contained a few hundred dollars in cash, all my credit cards, and various ID cards, etc. Someone--who I'd never met before--found it and returned it to me. Everything was in it.

People are very respectful generally. They're not respectful when they don't realize they're doing something disrespectful. Like, every once in a while someone will get peeved that other people are walking through his camp site. Or that some music is too loud. Things like that.

AgoristTeen2

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:59:16 pm »

Yes very much so  >:D After all, I have to to be able to skip school as my show of civil disobedience, and to have even a snow flake's chance in hell of going to PF 2011.

... I once heard someone "lost" a folding chair. They claimed it was "stolen". But if so, I doubt intentionally.

Last year, I lost my wallet at PorcFest. Just fell out of my pocket. Contained a few hundred dollars in cash, all my credit cards, and various ID cards, etc. Someone--who I'd never met before--found it and returned it to me. Everything was in it.

People are very respectful generally. They're not respectful when they don't realize they're doing something disrespectful. Like, every once in a while someone will get peeved that other people are walking through his camp site. Or that some music is too loud. Things like that.

Okay cool. Thanks for the info.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:23:51 am »

Anything I can do to help, just let me know.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

AgoristTeen2

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:35:38 am »

Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Thank you. For now what I really need is advice on convincing her to let me go, and how to partially regain some of the cost...so far all I've come up with for regaining the cost which hopefully I'll be able to lower by joining with at least one friend, is to be a part of the PorcFest Labor Cooperative. Any other suggestions/advice on that or anything for a 17 year old hoping to go to PF 2011 would be very much appreciated. Also anecdotes about your time at PorcFests in the past that might be helpful toward convincing my grandma would be appreciated, both because it help convince her, and it gives me a general idea about what PorcFest will be like. If I can think of anything else I might need help with I'll let you know. Thanks again for offering to help. I really appreciate it.

ny2nh

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 07:46:46 am »

My question was going to be how does a 17 year old fund a trip of this magnitude? It's nearly 1000 miles each way. Do you have a reliable vehicle that you plan to drive? What happens if your vehicle breaks down along the way? Do you have savings or a credit card to pay for repairs?

Someone in another post estimated that PF could was going to cost them I think $800 between travel, camping, food.  Even with a friend, you will still have expenses and still need to eat. Not sure how the Labor Cooperative will work - if it covers camping space or food or just the registration fees or what.

Sorry to be the cynic.....

AgoristTeen2

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 07:59:11 am »

My question was going to be how does a 17 year old fund a trip of this magnitude? It's nearly 1000 miles each way. Do you have a reliable vehicle that you plan to drive? What happens if your vehicle breaks down along the way? Do you have savings or a credit card to pay for repairs?

Someone in another post estimated that PF could was going to cost them I think $800 between travel, camping, food.  Even with a friend, you will still have expenses and still need to eat. Not sure how the Labor Cooperative will work - if it covers camping space or food or just the registration fees or what.

Sorry to be the cynic.....

Don't worry about apologizing for being cynical...I tend to be rather cynical myself....honestly I am not optimistic about my chances of being able to go. I'm still going to try. And as for the cost...I do have money saved up and a reliable vehicle available.

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:40 am »

And as for the cost...I do have money saved up and a reliable vehicle available.

Seriously, this is not like crossing the Sahara alone. The area from where you are to NH has been settled for a few centuries, and the roads are well patrolled. Don't go looking for trouble, and trouble will not find you.

Having been to PorcFest, I saw no drugs or sex at all. I also was not looking for them, so not finding them is no surprise. As in most of life, you'll find what you're looking for and/or what you expect to find. Surprises are just that.

Get a tune-up, oil and transmission service before you leave.

Make sure you have drinking water and something warm in the car, a cell phone and a credit card. That will get you through anything that might reasonably happen.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 09:38:58 am »

I have been to a couple of Porcfests. Very safe place. I can't think of a group that is more respectful of private property and personal space. I hope you are able to come.

I'd highly encourage you to check out all of the "Convoy to Porcfest" groups. Maybe there is someone from your area (or driving through your area) who would 1) be able to take you along and 2) be able to assuage some of your grandma's concerns by assuring her that you'll be with someone adult, responsible, etc...

Yes, it sounds like she is being overprotective but she is trying to do her job and keep your best interests in mind... try to humor her   :)
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 02:48:48 pm »

Yes very much so  >:D

Not to be a downer, but you may want to reflect on whether that's The Right Thing to DoSM. If you had a child you were responsible for and they lied to you about traveling 1,000 miles away for a festival, how would you feel about that? Okay? Well, pretend you're your grandmother. ;) Honesty is usually the best policy. If you feel you need to have permission but must be dishonest to get it, you're probably doing something... not quite right.

Ahem. But all that said, it ain't Woodstock. I don't recall seeing anything illicit last year.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:55:21 pm by B.D. Ross »

AgoristTeen2

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 03:29:55 pm »

And as for the cost...I do have money saved up and a reliable vehicle available.

Seriously, this is not like crossing the Sahara alone. The area from where you are to NH has been settled for a few centuries, and the roads are well patrolled. Don't go looking for trouble, and trouble will not find you.

Having been to PorcFest, I saw no drugs or sex at all. I also was not looking for them, so not finding them is no surprise. As in most of life, you'll find what you're looking for and/or what you expect to find. Surprises are just that.

Get a tune-up, oil and transmission service before you leave.

Make sure you have drinking water and something warm in the car, a cell phone and a credit card. That will get you through anything that might reasonably happen.

I can definitely see where you're coming from with this but, I'm the type of person that always expects and prepares for the worst while hoping for the best. Besides I have horrible luck, seriously I could have a guy standing next to me with a lightning rod in the middle of a thunderstorm, and I would probably be the one struck by lightning.  :o But yeah thanks for the advice on getting a tune-up, oil and transmission service, and brining drinking water, and something warm, a cell phone and credit card (though for me it'll be a debit card)

I have been to a couple of Porcfests. Very safe place. I can't think of a group that is more respectful of private property and personal space. I hope you are able to come.

I'd highly encourage you to check out all of the "Convoy to Porcfest" groups. Maybe there is someone from your area (or driving through your area) who would 1) be able to take you along and 2) be able to assuage some of your grandma's concerns by assuring her that you'll be with someone adult, responsible, etc...

Yes, it sounds like she is being overprotective but she is trying to do her job and keep your best interests in mind... try to humor her   :)

Okay will do.

Yes very much so  >:D

Not to be a downer, but you may want to reflect on whether that's The Right Thing to DoSM. If you had a child you were responsible for and they lied to you about traveling 1,000 miles away for a festival, how would you feel about that? Okay? Well, pretend you're your grandmother. ;) Honesty is usually the best policy. If you feel you need to have permission but must be dishonest to get it, you're probably doing something... not quite right.

Ahem. But all that said, it ain't Woodstock. I don't recall seeing anything illicit last year.

True I can definitely see your point. However she knows she can trust me to not do drugs, since while I have no problem with other people using them with a few exceptions, I have no interest in doing something that stupid and pointless myself. Plus I'm almost (almost being defined as being 11 months away)  18, and thus outside of her legal control... so she shouldn't have a problem with it. However...she would. While I love my grandma a lot, she does have several major faults...one of them being that she "says" she trusts me but when it comes time to show she trusts me, she acts like I'm either 2 years old, or some kind of sociopathic criminal....I can understand her desire to treat me like I'm 2 years old, and shield me from the world, since my dad (her oldest son) died when I was a little kid, at the age of 33. However while I can understand that desire to smother and coddle me, I don't think she should...but she does. Which is another of her faults. My point is that while I really dislike the idea of lying to her, I am willing to do so if she is being overprotective. Besides the point is moot since as you said you don't recall seeing anything illicit. Still thanks for the advice.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:45:03 pm »

Since you live with your grandma .... I would recommend doing what she thinks is right.

On safety .... the most dangerous thing will be the driving .... accidents happen .... and there are highway robbers everywhere.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Alex Libman

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 04:26:48 am »

Since you live with your grandma .... I would recommend doing what she thinks is right.

Seconded.

Also, the Free State Project is a decentralized movement based around ideas, not around any centralized organizations, gatherings, cliques, etc.  Only a small fraction goes to those events, and that fraction will likely shrink as the "project" grows.  Libertarians all coming together and socializing IRL almost seems like a contradiction...  You don't need to be at PorcFest or anywhere else to be a top-notch free stater.

And you most certainly don't get a lot of brownie points for getting involved a year sooner - this is a life-long marathon, not a 100-meter dash.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 01:06:56 pm »

When I was 17 I was still far from Agorist in my evolution.  Actually, I was pretty straight-ticket Republican.  Anybody that young that much ahead of where I was I like to encourage.

At that age I also lived with my grandmother.  In New Hampshire.  I miss her, she died before I turned 19.

Aside from other caveats, I must warn you that there are some places where it is extremely unsafe to be 17 and armed between Michigan and New Hampshire.  The hazard is from representatives of various state and local governments.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

Dionysus

• New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 06:30:37 pm »

I think the safe and sane approach might be your best bet. Try to talk grandma into coming with you. Get grandma a ticket so she can come and check everything out and get her a room at the hotel so she won't be in your hair 24/7. If that doesn't work, just wait until next year to attend. 
"Emergencies” have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have eroded.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

anything