Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm thinking about going to PorcFest but  (Read 18868 times)

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
Re: I'm thinking about going to PorcFest but
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 06:19:59 pm »

Then give them a gun so they feel safe.

Sudden image of Christopher Lee in "The Man With The Golden Gun", saying, "A harmless toy."

People who have seen the movie will remember the quote.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 08:24:46 am »

Unfortunately, it looks like La Esposa and I can't make it this time.  Stuck in a fair facsimile of Hell (Hudson County).

Gad blast it, you and I are just NEVER going to bump into each other!

Sadly, I rented a room at Rogers Wednesday through Saturday, and depending on whether or not I find work I may not be able to go either. I doubt I'll get a refund, when I know better I'll just put the room up for auction on Ebay or something stupid like that.

Better to cancel early and give them a chance to fill the room.
I was just up at Roger's yesterday, talking with the owner, and he said if they can fill the room (they've got a waiting list, right now), you'll get a refund.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Adrienne

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 05:33:46 pm »

Regarding things one might want to bring for camping:

Tent: I bought my tent at Walmart for about $25 - "Ozark Trail" brand. I am sure diehards would snub their noses at it, but for a cheap tent it is pretty good. I have owned other cheap-midrange tents in the past and this is the best (in terms of ease of setup and keeping me dry)

Tarp: Might be a good idea but I've never used one. Even the cheap Walmart tent comes with a rain fly and a waterproof (tarp-like) bottom, and keeps you relatively dry.

Sleeping bag: Another Walmart purchase. You really don't need anything fancy to camp in NH in June...   $9.88  http://goo.gl/HEW3d

Sleeping pad: I find it's most comfortable to sleep on one of those eggcrate foam mattress pads, folded in half. I don't remember how much they cost, but should be pretty cheap. A more compact alternative is a thin inflatable air-pad, but I don't find those very comfortable, personally.

Pillow: Yes, this should be obvious, but since it wasn't on the list, figured I'd mention it as a reminder... :)

Flashlights: Yes, good idea. You can get an LED flashlight really cheap these days.

Extension cord: If you're staying at a site with electricity, bring one of these ("outdoor" type, preferably) for convenient charging of your electronic gadgets...

Chair: A portable folding chair is nice to have. $9.88 @ Walmart http://goo.gl/36J9r

Food: By the looks of it, this Porcfest will have more ready-to-eat food for sale than ever (not to mention drinks...)  But if you are on a really tight budget you might want to bring some cheap munchies that don't require cooking/preparation.

Water: I usually find it's handy to bring a couple gallons of spring water ($0.50/c gal at my local grocery store) just for convenient tooth brushing and other incidental use. But that's strictly optional/matter of preference.

Trash bags: For trash...

Shower shoes: Maybe I'm coming out of the closet as a mild germophobe by writing this, but I kind of like to wear flip-flops while using the campground shower. Speaking of showering, bring towels, of course...

Whew, excellent advice.

I would just add that even though it's summer, the nights can get very cold on the hard ground. At least for me. I'm extremely sensitive to cold. I was ill-prepared in 2008 and felt the cold in my very bones, the cold rain rousted me from my sleep. Not fun. Maybe bring a thermorest pad of some kind or put a wool blank under you and maybe on top too. The ground can suck a lot of heat especially when wet. Speaking of warmth, the best blanket I've ever used weighed a ton from the Red Cross. I wish I could get my hands on one of those but I don't see them for sale anywhere.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:35:38 pm by Adrienne »

ethicalcrackpot

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 09:28:16 pm »

Regarding things one might want to bring for camping:

Tent: I bought my tent at Walmart for about $25 - "Ozark Trail" brand. I am sure diehards would snub their noses at it, but for a cheap tent it is pretty good. I have owned other cheap-midrange tents in the past and this is the best (in terms of ease of setup and keeping me dry)

Tarp: Might be a good idea but I've never used one. Even the cheap Walmart tent comes with a rain fly and a waterproof (tarp-like) bottom, and keeps you relatively dry.

Sleeping bag: Another Walmart purchase. You really don't need anything fancy to camp in NH in June...   $9.88  http://goo.gl/HEW3d

Sleeping pad: I find it's most comfortable to sleep on one of those eggcrate foam mattress pads, folded in half. I don't remember how much they cost, but should be pretty cheap. A more compact alternative is a thin inflatable air-pad, but I don't find those very comfortable, personally.

Pillow: Yes, this should be obvious, but since it wasn't on the list, figured I'd mention it as a reminder... :)

Flashlights: Yes, good idea. You can get an LED flashlight really cheap these days.

Extension cord: If you're staying at a site with electricity, bring one of these ("outdoor" type, preferably) for convenient charging of your electronic gadgets...

Chair: A portable folding chair is nice to have. $9.88 @ Walmart http://goo.gl/36J9r

Food: By the looks of it, this Porcfest will have more ready-to-eat food for sale than ever (not to mention drinks...)  But if you are on a really tight budget you might want to bring some cheap munchies that don't require cooking/preparation.

Water: I usually find it's handy to bring a couple gallons of spring water ($0.50/c gal at my local grocery store) just for convenient tooth brushing and other incidental use. But that's strictly optional/matter of preference.

Trash bags: For trash...

Shower shoes: Maybe I'm coming out of the closet as a mild germophobe by writing this, but I kind of like to wear flip-flops while using the campground shower. Speaking of showering, bring towels, of course...

Whew, excellent advice.

I would just add that even though it's summer, the nights can get very cold on the hard ground. At least for me. I'm extremely sensitive to cold. I was ill-prepared in 2008 and felt the cold in my very bones, the cold rain rousted me from my sleep. Not fun. Maybe bring a thermorest pad of some kind or put a wool blank under you and maybe on top too. The ground can suck a lot of heat especially when wet. Speaking of warmth, the best blanket I've ever used weighed a ton from the Red Cross. I wish I could get my hands on one of those but I don't see them for sale anywhere.

I have a sleeping bag for like 0 degrees and a cheap piece of shit one, going to bring both.

ny2nh

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 07:18:46 am »

Pick up an air mattress at WalMart.....not only will it provide more comfortable sleep, it will get you off the ground, which helps with cooler temps. Plus - in the event that it rains - which you should expect - and your tent happens to leak, being up off the ground a bit will keep you and your sleeping bag dry. Staying dry is the key on rainy camping days!

Adrienne

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2011, 11:00:46 pm »

I bought a $29.00 air mattress from Target and used it for a month before I got a regular mattress. I hated it. It felt very cold even indoors. It was like sleeping on a bubble of cold air. Nothing beats soft layers underneath and on top in my experience. I'm very sensitive to cold though.

LiftsBoxes

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 08:14:19 am »

When you come up here from NJ (or MI, or FL, or NY, or CA) one of the things that will likely surprise you is how many people you meet who also once lived in NJ (or MI, or FL, or...).
"Bother!" said Pooh as he chambered another round.

Adrienne

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 02:52:22 am »

I just had to say OH. MY. GOD. ...... I just discovered Alpaca blankets. I invested $90 in an alpaca blanket from Ecuador. It's one of the best purchases of my life. Lightweight, extremely soft. Incredible warmth. I'm so impressed.

Ti K

• No
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 08:16:06 am »

It'll be my first time as well, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect.

So come say hi!

I'm originally from NJ (now living in VT) and as you know, Jersey folks can somehow talk about Jersey things endlessly so we have some common ground, lol.

teamfortman

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 03:32:35 am »

I'm glad I'm not alone wanting to attend with someone I know. See my post at the porcfest forum,  http://porcfest.com/forum/thinking-about-attending#nav

I really considering attending and moving to NH as there is not a lot going on for me here. I have a job that can be replaced, no kids, no mortgage, and no wife ;)
Will people think I'm crazy if I bring all my army camping stuff ???? I really don't have the $$$ to buy new things...

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 10:19:47 am »

10 questions will be to find out what kind of person you want to meet
hot
blonde
tall

Pretty sure you already met your wife  ;)
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 10:20:50 am »

Want to meet people at PorcFest?

(1) wear your name tag every day.
(2) conspicuously look at other people's name tags; introduce yourself.

Especially if you're an introvert, PF is a good place to just practice being social. No one will bite. Say hi. Have an awkward silence. Laugh about it. It won't kill ya. Really, if you want to meet people, just ask to be introduced! People are very friendly, respectful, and typically reserved in their judgment. Hell. You can come find me and say, "I want to meet people, but I don't know anyone." I'll walk you around and we'll talk to people. Really easy. That's just how we roll up here.

The cool thing about PF is you already have something in common with everyone there.  It makes for easy and fast friendships.  Often, lasting friendships.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 11:45:54 am »

i went in 09 with my wife and kids. we had fun with the camping bit, but were pretty shy so it wasn't very much fun overall. i'm going solo this year, and am DETERMINED to have fun and not just sit alone in my tent.

widdie

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2011, 11:07:00 am »

This thread has been great!  This will be my (and hubby's) first time, as well, and I haven't camped in a couple of decades, so I have no idea what to expect.  I'm looking forward to meeting loads of new people - and brushing up on my rustic skills, too!

9 more days!   ;D

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 08:50:34 pm »

Turbo- RE: the shower shoes..... you are not alone :)
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up