Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm thinking about going to PorcFest but  (Read 19038 times)

slothman

Re: I'm thinking about going to PorcFest but
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 10:11:32 pm »

I am shy too.
I definitately wouldn't go without someone I knew.
I don't do well with new people.
Maybe 1 or 2 at a time.
A convention though seem too many for me.

As for private space, I think there is a difference between private property and private people.
I am not that bad but it seems like people would think badly of a hermit who crawls away and tries to look interested about a potted plant.
My guess is that people here say they don't mind but for a person like that they actually wouldn't like it.

Did you talk about the hotdog clip and know the hotdog package was the example on Wiki?
Or is the a coincidence?

freedomroad

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 12:48:17 am »

$25 per night camping fee... (you might find someone to split a site with you)

any idea how to find someone to split it?

Yeah, a bunch of people are looking to split.  In fact, I've split with someone else every year.  I'll split with someone again this year but I'm not going to look until I am sure what days I'll be attending.

There is a section of this forum and then if you go to porcfest.com there is another forum there.  You just make a post saying that you would like to split a site.  I usually have someone else get the site and then offer to share it with them.  I've stayed on sites where there was only two of us, sites with three people and even a couple nights where there were four of us on one site.

freedomroad

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 12:52:11 am »

I am shy too.
I definitately wouldn't go without someone I knew.
I don't do well with new people.
Maybe 1 or 2 at a time.
A convention though seem too many for me.

A lot of us are shy.  You can make connections right here ahead of time.

There is a schedule and it lists a ton of events.  Attend events you are interested in.  Say hi to the people next to you at the event (be it a hike, a speech, the group photo, a concert or whatever.)  If they seem cool, it is OK to say that you are new to all of this and that you aren't sure what to do later in the day.  Ask them if they have a suggestion.  Feel free to look at the schedule with them.  Who knows, they may even suggest that you attend an event with them later in the day or the next day :)

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 01:22:08 am »

Want to meet people at PorcFest?

(1) wear your name tag every day.
(2) conspicuously look at other people's name tags; introduce yourself.

Especially if you're an introvert, PF is a good place to just practice being social. No one will bite. Say hi. Have an awkward silence. Laugh about it. It won't kill ya. Really, if you want to meet people, just ask to be introduced! People are very friendly, respectful, and typically reserved in their judgment. Hell. You can come find me and say, "I want to meet people, but I don't know anyone." I'll walk you around and we'll talk to people. Really easy. That's just how we roll up here.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:25:52 am by B.D. Ross »

Adrienne

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 01:50:49 am »

I am extremely shy too. Like, ridiculously shy.

I attended PorcFest in 2008 but I wasn't really interested in moving to New Hampshire then nor reflecting on the bigger picture of it all. This year's 2011 event I'll be going again and even just made a post inviting complete strangers to ride with me from NY to NH in my car. :D Of course, I'd get to know the person at least a little bit beforehand but, they're not a total stranger if they support liberty as far as I'm concerned. There's instant common ground. In 2008 I didn't have the best experience I could have had because I didn't participate as much as I could.  I hear it's bigger than ever now with even more activities and wonderful lectures. I regret not chatting with more people and being friendlier. This time, I'm definitely going to make the most of it. Anyway, I just wanted to say, you're definitely not alone and I hope you attend. :)  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:56:45 am by Adrienne »

ethicalcrackpot

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 11:04:40 am »

I found someone to split a site with.

Now the only concern is that I haven't been camping since I was like 12; I have no idea what I'll need or even what I have.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 12:30:59 pm »

plan for rain every day
you can hide from people if you want .... but then why be at porcfest
remember that the place is crawling with other libertarian geek loners .... you will find others
most people find piles of friends
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »

Now the only concern is that I haven't been camping since I was like 12; I have no idea what I'll need or even what I have.

If you don't have them yet, stop at Campmor in Paramus on your way up and get a tent and a sleeping bag.

Unfortunately, it looks like La Esposa and I can't make it this time.  Stuck in a fair facsimile of Hell (Hudson County).

Hopefully, this means the chili will be that much better next year.  This year I'm adjusting to the way not using beer affects the flavor balance of other ingredients.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

ethicalcrackpot

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 10:08:23 pm »

If you don't have them yet, stop at Campmor in Paramus on your way up and get a tent and a sleeping bag.

On my way, wat? It's still a month and a half way.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »

tent
tarp
sleeping bag
sleeping pad

maybe a chair
that is all you REALLY need.

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 10:51:52 am »

Unfortunately, it looks like La Esposa and I can't make it this time.  Stuck in a fair facsimile of Hell (Hudson County).

Gad blast it, you and I are just NEVER going to bump into each other!

Sadly, I rented a room at Rogers Wednesday through Saturday, and depending on whether or not I find work I may not be able to go either. I doubt I'll get a refund, when I know better I'll just put the room up for auction on Ebay or something stupid like that.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

ny2nh

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 01:38:29 pm »

tent
tarp
sleeping bag
sleeping pad

maybe a chair
that is all you REALLY need.

There are plenty of Walmarts close to the highway in NH (i.e. Derry, Manchester, Bedford, Hooksett) - where you will pay no sales tax on anything you need. They have tents, sleeping bags, mats, folding chairs, coolers....pretty much anything you could need. There is a Walmart not all too far from Roger's - about a 15 minute drive if I recall - in case you find you really need something that you did not bring.

You might want a small cooler or a flashlight as well.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 05:05:08 pm »

Regarding things one might want to bring for camping:

Tent: I bought my tent at Walmart for about $25 - "Ozark Trail" brand. I am sure diehards would snub their noses at it, but for a cheap tent it is pretty good. I have owned other cheap-midrange tents in the past and this is the best (in terms of ease of setup and keeping me dry)

Tarp: Might be a good idea but I've never used one. Even the cheap Walmart tent comes with a rain fly and a waterproof (tarp-like) bottom, and keeps you relatively dry.

Sleeping bag: Another Walmart purchase. You really don't need anything fancy to camp in NH in June...   $9.88  http://goo.gl/HEW3d

Sleeping pad: I find it's most comfortable to sleep on one of those eggcrate foam mattress pads, folded in half. I don't remember how much they cost, but should be pretty cheap. A more compact alternative is a thin inflatable air-pad, but I don't find those very comfortable, personally.

Pillow: Yes, this should be obvious, but since it wasn't on the list, figured I'd mention it as a reminder... :)

Flashlights: Yes, good idea. You can get an LED flashlight really cheap these days.

Extension cord: If you're staying at a site with electricity, bring one of these ("outdoor" type, preferably) for convenient charging of your electronic gadgets...

Chair: A portable folding chair is nice to have. $9.88 @ Walmart http://goo.gl/36J9r

Food: By the looks of it, this Porcfest will have more ready-to-eat food for sale than ever (not to mention drinks...)  But if you are on a really tight budget you might want to bring some cheap munchies that don't require cooking/preparation.

Water: I usually find it's handy to bring a couple gallons of spring water ($0.50/c gal at my local grocery store) just for convenient tooth brushing and other incidental use. But that's strictly optional/matter of preference.

Trash bags: For trash, dirty laundry, etc

Shower shoes: Maybe I'm coming out of the closet as a mild germophobe by writing this, but I kind of like to wear flip-flops while using the campground shower. Speaking of showering, bring towels, of course...

Bug Spray There might be some mosquitoes...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:17:13 pm by turbo »
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 05:16:37 pm »

Yes, the idea of driving for six hours going to a place where I literally don't know anyone scares the hell out of me. I would be fine if I was going with someone I know. I've gone to conventions and spent most of the day with people I've never met, but there a certain difference (at least the way I imagine it) going with someone I know. I guess I just have an irrational fear of meeting new people. I *think* it doesn't show otherwise.

I live in central New Jersey.

You live in a state that most people cringe just hearing the name. New Englanders are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Will someone "host" this person, LOL.
Then give them a gun so they feel safe.
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:21 pm »

You live in a state that most people cringe just hearing the name. New Englanders are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Will someone "host" this person, LOL.
Then give them a gun so they feel safe.

+1. Except (unlike NJ, perhaps...), you don't need a gun to feel safe.
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up