Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: FSP Concerns  (Read 16603 times)

Lochnivar

FSP Concerns
« on: May 02, 2011, 04:45:20 pm »

Good Day to all.

The wife and I are moving to NH in June, so my membership in the FSP is almost superfluous.  I'll be the closet 49ers fan.  >:D

I find the FSP idea very very very interesting.  The basic premise appeals to me.  My big concern is that, while I consider myself a very conservative individual, I seem to be more than a skosh more liberal than many here. 

The question is, if I do become involved, what am I getting myself into?  I will not be associated with a group of anarchists or other extremists.   I know the FSP doesn't support any political move or party, but I also know the branding that happens when one idiot member does something particularly stupid and mars the rest of the group.

I just want to know what I'm getting into here.

Thank you.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
Re: FSP Concerns
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:00:44 pm »

You nailed it exactly on the head.

You've chosen to come to New Hampshire to work for more freedom. That's good news and many hundreds of other people are doing the same.

The down side is, some of those people are doing things with which you want no connection whatsoever. Yes there are a few idiots. There are many more people who are very smart but perhaps not very mature, or not very good at presenting themselves in a way that engenders respect. And you don't want to be mixed in with the latter.

Personally, I do all I can to be a helpful, respected member of my new chosen hometown, to present my libertarian ideas in a nonthreatening manner, and to pay deference to the people who have lived in town many years longer than I have (even if I think they're wrong on certain political ideas). At the same time, I am quick and clear and public in my criticism of other FSPers when I believe their actions are counterproductive.

Be a good example and call 'em as you see 'em.
That's all there is.

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:43:26 pm »

Be yourself. Get involved with what YOU wish to get involved with.

The individuals connecting through the FSP, ignoring their particularities, are good folks. Getting to know them is a good idea regardless of your opinion of their causes, because the FSP folks are a ready base of local knowledge wherever you land.

If you don't want to protest, don't. But don't avoid the chance to meet and befriend good folks just because some might go (relatively) overboard.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »

There really isn't any need to associate with any particular groups. The sole purpose of the FSP is to get you to move to NH. Once you're here, act as an individual and involve yourself in whatever interests you.
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:45:29 pm »

Is it extreme to want peaceful people to be left alone?  Would you associate with voluntarists?
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Polemic

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:01:41 pm »

Is it extreme to want peaceful people to be left alone?  Would you associate with voluntarists?

I don't think it's ever been about voluntarist v. minarchist. It's easy to see past a difference of goals.

It's method that makes people uncomfortable.
"Optimists proclaim that we live in the best of all possible worlds; pessimists fear that this is true."

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:20:02 pm »

The question is, if I do become involved, what am I getting myself into?

Get involved with what?

You decide your own level of involvement in Project Free State Project.

Moving? That's usually the end of it!

but I also know the branding that happens when one idiot member does something particularly stupid and mars the rest of the group.

Sometimes...

But the FSP doesn't really do anything here.

Lochnivar

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »

No it is not extreme.  But, perhaps, you misunderstand my question/concern.

But the FSP doesn't really do anything here.

I understand that.  My concern is a little deeper than that.

Consider this.  As a conservative, I am considered a risk factor for homegrown terrorism.  Why?  Because some other nutjob decided to blow up a building in Oklahoma, or kill an abortion doctor, etc...  I didn't do it, I don't condone it and I'd kick the teeth in of the individual who did do it.  That doesn't change the fact that, to a significant number, I'm still stained because of the label.

I understand that FSP doesn't do anything except try to organize like-minded conservatives (technically anybody, but like-minded conservatives are the niche) into moving to NH.  Where the process goes after that is in God's hands.  I support that, and find it admirably genius.  It really makes me glad to see a movement like this really come to fruition.

But, like any group, FSP is made of people.  My question is not FSP, per se, it's the people within FSP that I want to be assured aren't going to betray my desire for peace in the name of pragmatism.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:04:52 pm »

I don't think it's ever been about voluntarist v. minarchist. It's easy to see past a difference of goals.

It's method that makes people uncomfortable.

What method?  Plenty of voluntarists are involved in politics.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

freedomroad

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:45:19 pm »

I understand that FSP doesn't do anything except try to organize like-minded conservatives (technically anybody, but like-minded conservatives are the niche) into moving to NH.  Where the process goes after that is in God's hands.  I support that, and find it admirably genius.  It really makes me glad to see a movement like this really come to fruition.

But, like any group, FSP is made of people.  My question is not FSP, per se, it's the people within FSP that I want to be assured aren't going to betray my desire for peace in the name of pragmatism.

I am sorry, but I am unable to understand what you just wrote.  However, to answer your previous question, you can:
1. sign-up as a participant in the FSP
2. move to NH
3. update your address or send an email to moved@freestateproject.org to let the FSP know to update your address for you
4. not tell anyone else you are a fsper and not attend official FSP events in NH (Porcfest and Liberty Forum)

That way, you will move here as part of the FSP and no one will know.  People move to NH for more liberty all of the time, in fact, it is one of the top reasons stated by people that move from MA to NH and most of those movers from MA to NH are not fspers.

Lochnivar

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:57:21 am »

I have to apologize.

After rereading through these posts, I come across arrogant and almost insulting.  Please be assured that none of that was intended.  Sometimes my mouth/hands get ahead of my manners.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 03:05:23 am »

But, like any group, FSP is made of people. My question is not FSP, per se, it's the people within FSP...

No, the FSP is not really a group (ignoring the actual corporation). There is no "within the FSP". The FSP is not like the ACLU, NAACP, NRA, et al. There is no real membership; the are no real activities (for participants that have moved). The FSP is only a "vehicle" that tries to convince people to move from State X to New Hampshire.

that I want to be assured aren't going to betray my desire for peace in the name of pragmatism.

Still not following what your concern is. Not sure what you're referring to about betraying peace for pragmatism.

There are some people in New Hampshire that like the FSP. There are some that don't. Others are indifferent. Some have never heard of the FSP. Some participants moved here because of the FSP but try to avoid being labeled as a "free stater" for various reasons. Others, like myself, don't really care. There is no real cohesive, centrally organized FSP community.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 03:14:48 am by B.D. Ross »

ny2nh

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:57:37 am »

There really isn't any need to associate with any particular groups. The sole purpose of the FSP is to get you to move to NH. Once you're here, act as an individual and involve yourself in whatever interests you.

^this

You will be a NH resident.....

You will be associated with those you choose to associate with.

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:00:04 am »

I understand that FSP doesn't do anything except try to organize like-minded conservatives (technically anybody, but like-minded conservatives are the niche) into moving to NH. 

You've got that wrong. The tagline is LIBERTY in our lifetime, not Conservatism in our lifetime.

From the website:
The Free State Project is an effort to recruit 20,000 liberty-loving people to move to New Hampshire.

LIBERTY loving people.

Do you as a conservative support my right to have sex with a man, while smoking pot, and giving an unlicensed manicure?

PS Anarchism is the "radical" philosophy that other people are not your property   :o    shocking
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

raymcgill

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 09:03:32 am »

Welcome! I was in your shoes two years ago. Right now, you see the FSP because you haven't moved. We will be there to heartily welcome you and your family. Then you will find that there are a few folks just like you, that have the same conservative label. You might chose to befriend them, and they might befriend you back. Or not. Either way, you may stop visiting this site or investigating NH, because, your like... here. Or, like me, you might settle in, have a new best friend (which is a FSPer that led me to Portsmouth, the best place I've ever lived!), and stay involved in what you consider important. FSP won't be involved, because unless its getting people to move, FSP isn't about politics.

Once up here, you might find that Liberty becomes more important.

Raymond
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up