Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountains in the West  (Read 12836 times)

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
Mountains in the East
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2003, 03:17:23 pm »

I’m not sure where you went in the east, but you weren’t describing the mountains in the northern half of New Hampshire.

I just received photos of a parcel of land from a realtor and I must say the property is stunning. The property has gorgeous views of the mountains. I would be happy to email the photos to anyone.

In addition to welcoming both right and left leaning libertarians, New Hampshire is just plain beautiful. ;D

« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 03:28:01 pm by Doug(stumpy) »
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

Michelle

• FSP Participant
Re:Mountains in the West
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 03:38:55 pm »

I was back east for a convention last june.... my impression of the US east of the Mississippi is best summed up by: "The land is flat, the trees are small, and the air is brown" .

Where in the heck were you?? NYC?? It obviously wasn't New Hampshire. Check out these photos from Escape to NH week:

http://www.lpnh.org/Escape-photos/index.html
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

kbarrett

• FSP Participant
  • My sister was bit by a moose!
    • kbarrett's web page
Re:Mountains in the East
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2003, 03:40:07 pm »

I’m not sure where you went in the east, but you weren’t describing the mountains in the northern half of New Hampshire.

I just received photos of a parcel of land from a realtor and I must say the property is stunning. The property has gorgeous views of the mountains. I would be happy to email the photos to anyone.

In addition to welcoming both right and left leaning libertarians, New Hampshire is just plain beautiful. ;D

I just finished trolling through the NH tourist board's website and it's whit mountain pictures.

It just confirmed my first impression.

The land is flat, the trees are small, and the sky is brown.

Those "mountains" wouldn't make a good foothill out here.

--
Regards,
Kristopher Barrett

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2003, 03:57:34 pm »

Well, I guess your mind is made up.

But for other porcupines, there are web cams at: http://www.keenenh.us/nhlive

New Hampshire boasts 29 elected Libertarians, non-partisan easy to win elections in a beautiful state that’s fertile for gov’t downsizing.  ;D

Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

kbarrett

• FSP Participant
    • kbarrett's web page
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2003, 04:06:58 pm »

I was back east for a convention last june.... my impression of the US east of the Mississippi is best summed up by: "The land is flat, the trees are small, and the air is brown" .

Where in the heck were you?? NYC?? It obviously wasn't New Hampshire. Check out these photos from Escape to NH week:

http://www.lpnh.org/Escape-photos/index.html

Looked at the photos....

Foothills, and small second growth trees.

OK.... the air wasn't brown.

--
Regards,
Kristopher Barrett

kbarrett

• FSP Participant
    • kbarrett's web page
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2003, 04:26:09 pm »

Well, I guess your mind is made up.

And your's isn't? heh.

But for other porcupines, there are web cams at: http://www.keenenh.us/nhlive

Small.... I'm from Oregon ( yes... a statist wasteland ).... we have counties that are almost as big as NH.

New Hampshire boasts 29 elected Libertarians, non-partisan easy to win elections in a beautiful state that’s fertile for gov’t downsizing.  ;D

And the NH legislature has 424 members. So you got 6% of the total vote?

I ran for State rep in Oregon about a decade ago..... and got 19% of the vote in my district. I suppose it is easier to get elected if you have tiny voting districts ... but difficult to get a majority in the legislature.

--
Regards,
Kristopher Barrett

craft_6

• Constitutional Libertarian
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2003, 05:08:40 pm »

New Hampshire boasts 29 elected Libertarians, non-partisan easy to win elections in a beautiful state that's fertile for govt downsizing.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure none of those 29 elected Libertarians are actually in the NH state legislature, so that would be 0% representation currently.  (Although I think I read elsewhere that one or two FSP members are already in the NH legislature, as Republicans?)
Lighting the fires of Liberty, one heart at a time!
http://www.badnarik.org
Badnarik for President, 2004

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2003, 10:05:37 am »

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" -- Samuel Adams

For those who do not understand the value of having an immediate libertarian caucus in the State House, I'm not sure what more I can say. But, I would remind you that a caucus means having the swing vote on many critical legislative issues and having a place on the important committees.

I'd also ask how long you think it might be before we had such a caucus in ANY other state?  Believing that you will go into any other state and gain an immediate caucus, never mind a majority, is simply unrealistic.

However, the New Hampshire political system is accessible and offers the FSP unique advantages unmatched by any other state. For more information about this, I would encourage you to read the following two reports:
http://www.freestateproject.org/ExaminingPopulation.htm
http://www.freestateproject.org/TowardsVictory.htm

(Although I think I read elsewhere that one or two FSP members are already in the NH legislature, as Republicans?)

Yes, that is correct. There are two Republican members of the NH House of Representatives who are signed members of the Free State Project. There are also others who have publicly expressed their support of the FSP goals.

Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2003, 10:40:11 am »

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" -- Samuel Adams

For those who do not understand the value of having an immediate libertarian caucus in the State House, I'm not sure what more I can say. But, I would remind you that a caucus means having the swing vote on many critical legislative issues and having a place on the important committees.

I'd also ask how long you think it might be before we had such a caucus in ANY other state?  Believing that you will go into any other state and gain an immediate caucus, never mind a majority, is simply unrealistic.

However, the New Hampshire political system is accessible and offers the FSP unique advantages unmatched by any other state. For more information about this, I would encourage you to read the following two reports:
http://www.freestateproject.org/ExaminingPopulation.htm
http://www.freestateproject.org/TowardsVictory.htm

(Although I think I read elsewhere that one or two FSP members are already in the NH legislature, as Republicans?)

Yes, that is correct. There are two Republican members of the NH House of Representatives who are signed members of the Free State Project. There are also others who have publicly expressed their support of the FSP goals.

If the move is still years off how do you expect to have an immediate caucus? If immediate means 2006 then yes we can work that in any state I would imagine.

Also, why do the NH supporters always divert topics to become a NH pitch?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 10:44:11 am by EMOR »
WY>SD>AK>VT>ND>DE>MT>ID>NH>ME

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2003, 11:16:37 am »

If the move is still years off how do you expect to have an immediate caucus? If immediate means 2006 then yes we can work that in any state I would imagine.

Immediate is 2004. Possibly sooner. ;) Don't forget - We can completely turn over our state government every two years in NH.

Even one Lib (or FS Party) rep would mean they could become a minority leader and have access to any and every committee they/we wanted! :D

And if we start with NH, we ALREADY have two FSP members in the state house, and two Lib ex-gubernatorial candidates working there.... :)

JM
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 11:17:01 am by jgmaynard »
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2003, 11:29:57 am »

Immediate is 2004. Possibly sooner. ;) Don't forget - We can completely turn over our state government every two years in NH.

Even one Lib (or FS Party) rep would mean they could become a minority leader and have access to any and every committee they/we wanted! :D

And if we start with NH, we ALREADY have two FSP members in the state house, and two Lib ex-gubernatorial candidates working there.... :)

JM
If what you are saying is true then why is it not in place already? Since the 2 are already in office, why don't they just switch affiliations to LP and then it is done? I sincerely don't get what you are saying.

I can't really say but FSP members are not required to move before 20,000 which is looking like 2006. Are you banking on the current 5,000 moving right away?

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2003, 11:48:17 am »

JM
If what you are saying is true then why is it not in place already? Since the 2 are already in office, why don't they just switch affiliations to LP and then it is done? I sincerely don't get what you are saying.

I can't really say but FSP members are not required to move before 20,000 which is looking like 2006. Are you banking on the current 5,000 moving right away?

Well if you read the boards you would know there are already a number of FSP members who are prepared to start packing in September, as soon as the selected state is announced.  And one can only hope that the existing FSP members in the selected state would not rest on their laurels waiting for the 20,000 to arrive before laying the groundwork for success.

As for the existing FSP members in the NH house switching parties prior to the vote, what possible reason would they have to do this?  If another state is chosen then they have done this for no good cause.

Besides, one need not be a Libertarian to be a FSP member.

freedomroad

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2003, 11:49:13 am »

New Hampshire boasts 29 elected Libertarians, non-partisan easy to win elections in a beautiful state that's fertile for govt downsizing.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure none of those 29 elected Libertarians is actually in the NH state legislature, so that would be 0% representation currently.  (Although I think I read elsewhere that one or two FSP members are already in the NH legislature, as Republicans?)

You are right.  You are also correct in that some state legislators from MT, NH, and WY welcome the FSP.  However, because Wyoming has the least amount of state legislators, each legislator from Wyoming that welcomes the FSP means more to us than one from MT or NH (as a percentage).

However, this is all off-topic so I will try to bring this thread back to its natural place.

To compare the mountains of NH to the foothills of Alaska would be a good way to compare the two.  Of course, the East has the smallest mountains (and many from the West call these hills) in American, while Alaska has the biggest.  My family from the West calls the mountains of TN and NC (which are bigger than the mountains of VT, NH, or ME) hills.

However, to be fair to the Eastern Mountains, they are still neat mountains.  Sure, snow skiing in the East is a joke compared to the skiing in AK, CO, WY, CA, and UT, but there still is snow skiing.  

Hiking?  The same.  Rock Climbing?  The same.  The list goes on and on.

However, this is not a very important factor, IMHO.

We can look at pictures of the mountains of both the East and West all day.

http://members.aol.com/mtofwy/mountains.html

What do mountains have to do with population, cost of living, size of districts, population trends, and support for libertarian causes?  Not very much.  Mountains are more about quality time, finding yourself, fun, and enjoyment.  Mountains are not a political factor.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 10:28:40 am by FreedomRoad »

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2003, 11:49:38 am »

I was talking about getting several Libs in office by 2004, and we may have a change before that. But those two porcupines in the state house are currently choosing to work within the Republican framework. That's fine, too. :)

No, that would be unrealistic. But I think the idea of 1,000 people moving by Fall '04 is realistic. Several families are already in negotiations for houses. Even 700 new activists by then will put our state party on par with the Republicans.

We're looking at what we can REALLY accomplish given realistic goals and funding. Anything else is gravy.  :D

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2003, 12:07:02 pm »

Maynard, Why are families already in negotiations to purchase houses there? Has the vote already been cast? This crap really bothers me, I am left to wonder if the NH selected already conspiracy is true.

JonM, as has been stated by NH supporters in the "how would you vote today" thread, which depicts Wyoming winning in a landslide, the sampling on the boards is not indicative of what the FSP will do. Can't have it both ways.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up