Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I should be going  (Read 3031 times)

slothman

I should be going
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:57:21 pm »

I should be going but I haven't registered or anything.
What do I need to do know?
Can I just show up and pay more?
Or do I need to do anything online?

Is the $30 per day per person or for the whole thing per person?
I presume the fact that I have 3 people would just triple the price.
How do I deal with hotel/motels or camping?
Hows much do they cost and how easy is it?

Semi-offtopic:
I am thinking of donating to the EFF.
Could I have some sort of thing where I copy the donation of someone else?
Would that go well?

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: I should be going
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:14:15 pm »

Is the $30 per day per person or for the whole thing per person?

That's for the whole week per person and you can use coupon code "UNCHAINED" to save 20% off that if you register online.  You can always show up and register when you arrive but it might be a little higher by then plus it won't give the planners a heads up on numbers.

Alex Libman

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:03:26 pm »

I am thinking of donating to the EFF.

Are you comfortable with their position on "Net Neutrality" (government regulation of the Internet)?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2617966/posts

slothman

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:08:01 pm »

Regardless of their position on NN they are most likely to help "little people" sued by "big business" for, as I call it copyprivlege, for ridiculous amounts for small infringment.
And lobbying IMHO stupid laws.

Where do I go for online registeration?

Is there a place where games will be played, board and otherwise?
Where can I look for one?

HardyMacia

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a newfy!
    • Catamount Software
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52:19 pm »

Is there a place where games will be played, board and otherwise?
Where can I look for one?

There will be a life size pandemic game being played through out the week. Other things will spontaneously appear I'm sure.

Alex Libman

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 12:18:47 am »

Regardless of their position on NN they are most likely to help "little people" sued by "big business" for, as I call it copyprivlege, for ridiculous amounts for small infringment.
And lobbying IMHO stupid laws.

All organizations do some good things in order to justify their existence.  That applies to even the most evil organizations out there.  Now I'm not calling the EFF evil, but by supporting them you only support mediocrity at best.  IMHO it would be better to find a smaller (i.e. not Soros-backed) but more principled organization that fights for online freedom.

slothman

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:40:36 am »

There will be a life size pandemic game being played through out the week. Other things will spontaneously appear I'm sure.

With people from all over the country I am sure there will be a pandemic.
Oh you mean the game. :D

Quote from: Alex Libman
IMHO it would be better to find a smaller (i.e. not Soros-backed) but more principled organization that fights for online freedom.

Do you know of any?

Alex Libman

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:18:57 am »

Donating to an organization like EFF is akin to voting for the Democrats.  Donating to an organization like FreedomWorks is like voting for Republicans.  Lately I'd rather err on the side of the latter, but real libertarians should strive to do better.  I think the two big litmus test issues are Net Neutrality (oppose) and WikiLeaks (support), and sadly very few large organizations are on the rational side of both issues...

I think the best idea is to split large donations among a whole list of hands-on groups that actually get things done: sites like The Pirate Bay, programming projects like OpenBSD, hardware projects like community wireless, seasteading, etc, etc, etc.  I know you want specifics and I'm giving you generalities, but nailing down the specifics will take time.  If I was donating considerable money for that end, and actively recruiting others to join me, then I'd definitely first spend a large amount of time doing uncompromising research.  (Or hire someone else to do it for me.)

Support the tech nerds, not the politicos!  It's the nerds that make us free!   :D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:25:48 am by Alex Libman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up