Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: libertarians vs. christians  (Read 18200 times)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: libertarians vs. christians
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2011, 01:38:27 am »

...you sound a little like the priest I grew-up with

Since I was mocking priests, I'll take that as a compliment.

swamp_yankee

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2011, 01:51:26 am »

I have a question. I seen many comments regarding Islam. Some people seem to be quick to call out bigotry ande statism as it used against Islamofascism. But many of these same people lamenting these "attack" on liberty seem to relish insulting, stereotyping and denigrating christians.

How about a liberterian vs. jew thread. Or a liberterian vs. muslim thread. Or liberterian vs. buddhist thread.

As a matter of principle, it would be consistent. Otherwise, it justifies the concerns of people like me that many so-called liberty lovers arent interested as much in liberty as they are in the adolescent pursuit of escaping the culture of their mommy, daddy and homwtown norms.

How can people curse profiling of muslims at airports then personally profile Catholics.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2011, 08:32:37 am »

How can people curse profiling of muslims at airports then personally profile Catholics.

First, you cannot profile a Muslim - unless someone's carrying a Koran, how would you know that he's a Muslim?

Second, it's easy to make that distinction: a private individual does not have the force of law behind him.

If Obama decided that the Feds were going to pay "reparations" to all non-Whites, and to pay for it, anyone they decide is "White" has to pay a special 10% sales tax, that would be a gross violation of the Constitution and the principles of liberty.  Libertarians would fight it tooth and nail.

If some Black store owner decided that he doesn't like Whites, and wants to charge them 10% extra, libertarians would defend his property rights; it's his store, so it's his choice to drive away potential customers.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

shooter77

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2011, 08:49:38 am »

I'm not a Christian, but I respect Christians that condemn what they view as sin even if others characterize their condemnation as bigoted, intolerant, etc.   It doesn't necessarily follow that one's objection to sin automatically leads to the promotion of government imposed remedies.  As a libertarian, this is where I part company with these people.  In fact, once they use force to stop sin, I don't even consider them Christians anymore.  On a personal note, I don't like and don't respect Christians, or people calling themselves Christians, who refuse to say anything is sinful.  It's almost as though they feel guilty if they criticize another human being's actions or choices. 

I'm a christian libertarian minded man myself and I see that it's hard for alot of christians to separate what they believe is wrong and political views.  Just because I believe something is wrong doesn't mean that there should be a law against it.  christians just need to realize that this thinking is counter productive.  Libertarianism should be embraced by christianity because they compliment eachother very well.  I seem to notice that alot of libertarians are christian or atheists mainly which actually makes since to me.  I think Jesus would probably be libertarian leaning if he were a man on the earth again.  That's just my opinion.
wanna hear a joke?  Global Warming.  LOL!

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2011, 09:17:39 am »

Christians would win, because they're more likely to unite for the common cause.

But less so than the Muslims.

Then Libmanbots take over.

Then - singularity.

I was suggesting one on one beachwear mud wrestling.  Don't be silly.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2011, 10:18:37 pm »

I like the idea Maxx.
Which side will you wrestle for?

I guess I would wrestle on the Christian side, since many times I have been told that I am no Libertarian. :)

It sure beats lions vs. christians.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Deanotrek

• FSP Participant
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 06:38:51 pm »

I am a libertarian, and a Christian. It is my belief that although there are certain behaviors that are damaging to the human soul (sin) However, God has given Human beings the freedom to choose how they are to live their lives, and whether or not to accept either his commandments if you are Jewish or a legalist, or his plan of salvation if you are an evangelical. In fact I read an interesting article claiming that Jesus himself was a libertarian. One of the points was that Jesus knew that God's law was totally separate from Political Law. The parable of Jesus saying "Render unto Caesar what is Caesars, and unto God what is God's." Jesus also had similar arguments with the religious leaders of the time because they were making them one and the same. This is what many Christians in todays society do by trying to make laws that control peoples behavior. Such as gambling, prostitution, drug use, etc...Many of the founders realized that organized religion, and politics needed to stay separate. So to say that libertarians hate christians is a generalization, and is not at all true, and should not even be compared to each other since they need to remain separate issues, and beliefs.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2011, 11:46:06 am »

It was the teachings of the New England protestant churches which held that a person had a right of conscience to disobey government that helped spark and foster America's culture of liberty.  Rep. Dan Itse has some interesting writings on this topic. 
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2011, 11:59:06 am »

You mean those members of the Church of England (headed by the Monarch) were taught to disobey the Monarch?
Then why was the ratio of Catholics during the Revolutionary War higher than the would suggest by the residency?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 12:23:33 pm »

Then why was the ratio of Catholics during the Revolutionary War higher than the would suggest by the residency?

Because France was Catholic, and helping to weaken England, helped France.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »

Within the Colonies... not the inclusion of outside forces.

You'll find the Protestant churches weren't in opposition to many of the early anti-liberty restrictions.
And weren't preponderously happy with the French, as England was taxing the Colonies for the troops that it required for the French & Indian War.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up