Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: libertarians vs. christians  (Read 18220 times)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: libertarians vs. christians
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 11:18:27 pm »

There are some libertarians that are anti-Christian, and there are lots of Christian libertarians in NH.  There are even more who are indifferent.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 01:14:37 am »

There aren't types of Christians. Following only some of Christ's teaching doesn't exactly make one Christian.
And how would one support homosexuality or prostitution without engaging in it?

Do you follow everything the Catholic church says?
Christ. Though I do adhere to church doctrine.

I was wondering if you would like to have a discussion about catholic social doctrine and distributism in another section of the website like the commons?
Not likely. Catholic social doctrine is a matter of private charity. As for the commons, I understand them but also Proudhon's concept of 'property is freedom'. And you have to remember Quebec was formed under a RCC theocracy... so it a little untailored.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:17 am »

I'm not a Christian, but I respect Christians that condemn what they view as sin even if others characterize their condemnation as bigoted, intolerant, etc.   It doesn't necessarily follow that one's objection to sin automatically leads to the promotion of government imposed remedies.  As a libertarian, this is where I part company with these people.  In fact, once they use force to stop sin, I don't even consider them Christians anymore.  On a personal note, I don't like and don't respect Christians, or people calling themselves Christians, who refuse to say anything is sinful.  It's almost as though they feel guilty if they criticize another human being's actions or choices. 
To 'condemn' another would go against Christ's teachings.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:02 am »

I already posted, but want to say this: this is a huge movement.  It spans all social groups, economic strata, religions, and ethnicities.  There will be people you get along with and people you don't.  That's the beauty of it.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2011, 04:53:11 pm »

I already posted, but want to say this: this is a huge movement.  It spans all social groups, economic strata, religions, and ethnicities.  There will be people you get along with and people you don't.  That's the beauty of it.

Succinct and very true.  I was trying to say as much but I fail in the succinctness dept.  It always impresses me when someone does it so much better.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:57:06 pm by dalebert »

Argentum

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2011, 05:05:03 pm »

I'm not a Christian, but I respect Christians that condemn what they view as sin even if others characterize their condemnation as bigoted, intolerant, etc.   It doesn't necessarily follow that one's objection to sin automatically leads to the promotion of government imposed remedies.  As a libertarian, this is where I part company with these people.  In fact, once they use force to stop sin, I don't even consider them Christians anymore.  On a personal note, I don't like and don't respect Christians, or people calling themselves Christians, who refuse to say anything is sinful.  It's almost as though they feel guilty if they criticize another human being's actions or choices. 

I didn't say anything about condemning another, just the sin.  Big difference.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »

I was wondering if you would like to have a discussion about catholic social doctrine and distributism in another section of the website like the commons?

Don't think I didn't notice that!  I'm very proud of you, WB, for suggesting that the conversation belongs elsewhere instead of hijacking the thread.  Very proud.   ;D

Skeptikos

• Rogue, geek, pro-community activist
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2011, 06:40:12 pm »

The Keeniacs are basically a bunch of militant atheists, druggies and freaks. Not the kind of crowd a christian woman with three kids would probably wanna be around, and i felt obliged to give her a heads up. There are other FSP communities that are christian-friendly and more family oriented. Whats wrong with that ?

I've lived in Keene for more than 2 years now. I have no problem with Christians, though I consider myself an atheist (sometimes I call myself a Stoic).

Christian women with children are fine. Many Keeniacs are atheists, but there are plenty of Christians here, and a growing number of families with children. See the Monadnock Families for Liberty for more about that.

There are libertarian activists going to at least 3 different local churches. (Hope Chapel, Quaker, Greek Orthodox. Four if you count me going to the Unitarian Universalist church.)

Like most libertarian communities in NH (I would imagine), some people smoke marijuana, some don't.

However, I do have problems with petty, spiteful people, and I'm not sure I could recommend Keene to Andvari because of that.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:45:22 pm by Skeptikos »

Skeptikos

• Rogue, geek, pro-community activist
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2011, 07:10:54 pm »

There are libertarian activists going to at least 3 different local churches. (Hope Chapel, Quaker, Greek Orthodox. Four if you count me going to the Unitarian Universalist church.)

Oh, and the Catholic church, too. (Pretty sure that one's a Catholic church, anyway.) So 4 or 5 local churches.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2011, 07:38:06 pm »

How would you condem

I didn't say anything about condemning another, just the sin.  Big difference.
You condemn a sin by not committing it yourself. When someone else performs it, you pass moral judgement.

WendellBerry

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 06:05:07 am »

Don't think I didn't notice that!  I'm very proud of you, WB, for suggesting that the conversation belongs elsewhere instead of hijacking the thread.  Very proud.   ;D

LOL - I have gone back to the Catholic church after watching the commercials on TV...

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/about-our-tv-commercials.php

I am repenting all of my past hijacking sins!

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2011, 04:57:02 pm »

You are forgiven my son.  Haha.  How was that for sounding condescending?

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 11:36:43 pm »

Maybe we should have a libertarian vs Christian mud wrestling match at PorcFest.  ;D
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Alex Libman

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2011, 10:24:29 am »

Christians would win, because they're more likely to unite for the common cause.

But less so than the Muslims.

Then Libmanbots take over.

Then - singularity.

WendellBerry

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 10:57:41 am »

You are forgiven my son.  Haha.  How was that for sounding condescending?

Considering my age and that I could be your father's age - a little silly.

But in the context of the Catholic church and having grown-up in it - you sound a little like the priest I grew-up with...yes, condescending but what do you expect from an institution built on hierarchy and authority??
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up