Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: libertarians vs. christians  (Read 17714 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: libertarians vs. christians
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 02:38:19 pm »

You seem to have this impression of Keeniacs being incredibly tolerant or even, dare I say, accepting of all kinds of choices others make that don't harm anyone.  We don't call it lefty liberal.  We call it libertarian.

I think you're in for a shock if you ever get your ass up from in front of your computer to actually move.  I've lived in NH for almost 4 years now, first in Manchester, then in the Seacoast area, and now in Keene, soon to have "dual-citizenship" between Manch and Keene, and I travel all over for events.  I mix a lot in FSP circles and am quite well-known.  I speak from broad first-hand experience when I say that tolerant attitude you're so terrified of is pretty ubiquitous all over.  I'm not saying there aren't social conservatives in certain circles but sure as Shirley, that tolerance isn't geographically isolated to a little clique of folks in Keene.

I'm sure someone will back me up here.

Yup.  "Live and let live" is one of the better ways to sum up NH.  Those who spend their time complaining about how others are living their lives, tend to find themselves isolated in a small clique of others who behave the same way, and looked-upon with condescension by most folks.

Sorry to burst your bubble.  Okay, not really.  I'm kind of enjoying bursting your bubble.

Comment win.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Alex Libman

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 03:32:58 pm »

Yeh, i know what 'christians' you guys embrace...the fringe lefty liberal types.

You seem to have this impression of Keeniacs being incredibly tolerant or even, dare I say, accepting of all kinds of choices others make that don't harm anyone.  We don't call it lefty liberal.  We call it libertarian.

I think you're in for a shock if you ever get your ass up from in front of your computer to actually move.  I've lived in NH for almost 4 years now, first in Manchester, then in the Seacoast area, and now in Keene, soon to have "dual-citizenship" between Manch and Keene, and I travel all over for events.  I mix a lot in FSP circles and am quite well-known.  I speak from broad first-hand experience when I say that tolerant attitude you're so terrified of is pretty ubiquitous all over.  I'm not saying there aren't social conservatives in certain circles but sure as Shirley, that tolerance isn't geographically isolated to a little clique of folks in Keene.

Sorry to burst your bubble.  Okay, not really.  I'm kind of enjoying bursting your bubble.

I used to be like that.  Real Christian-friendly, gay-friendly, etc, polite little geek.  Then I realized... it was all out of cowardice!

As the pace of human progress accelerates, we must learn to get over our historical emotional baggage more quickly.  Racism, religious intolerance, forced medication of gay people, etc are still visible in the rear-view mirror (i.e. recent memory as well as the more backward parts of the world), but I must keep my eyes on the road ahead.  I see real danger in this emerging collectivist cult of uncritical, mindless, subjectivist peacefulness and acceptance...

So now I bust everyone's balls, and never without substance.

creaganlios

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:05 pm »

Second Request:

Why do you write the word christian in with quotation marks?

Andvari

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 01:00:41 am »

He did?  What does that mean?  You mean the end of our friendship?  If so, you're right.  I would prolly give you "the boot"(?) from being my friend just for the way you've been acting on this thread.  It's my prerogative to pick my friends.  I can be as arbitrary as I like, though I think ending our friendship because he called me a fag all the time and was incredibly condescending certainly wasn't that arbitrary.

Its my perogative too if i wanna give advice on where not to move. You got a monopoly on this forum ?

The Keeniacs are basically a bunch of militant atheists, druggies and freaks. Not the kind of crowd a christian woman with three kids would probably wanna be around, and i felt obliged to give her a heads up. There are other FSP communities that are christian-friendly and more family oriented. Whats wrong with that ?

It's no accident that FreeKeene has an image. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

Andvari

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 01:03:36 am »

Yeh, i know what 'christians' you guys embrace...the fringe lefty liberal types.

I used to be like that.  Real Christian-friendly, gay-friendly, etc, polite little geek.  Then I realized... it was all out of cowardice!

As the pace of human progress accelerates, we must learn to get over our historical emotional baggage more quickly.  Racism, religious intolerance, forced medication of gay people, etc are still visible in the rear-view mirror (i.e. recent memory as well as the more backward parts of the world), but I must keep my eyes on the road ahead.  I see real danger in this emerging collectivist cult of uncritical, mindless, subjectivist peacefulness and acceptance...

So now I bust everyone's balls, and never without substance.

Theres the spirit !

Death to political correctness  ;D

freedomroad

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 01:18:04 am »

Folks, please try to be as nice as possible in this thread.  It is certainly true that some folks in Keene tend to be hostile to some (perhaps most) Christians but the majority of folks in the liberty community in the Keene area are not hostile to Christians.  Maybe these folks will become less hostile in time.  I'm certainly not and neither is my Christian roommate :)  I've been to his church and will likely go again.  And please, no need for really negative generalizations of the activists in any area of NH.  For example, the former President of the FSP is a Christian in Keene.

It's a learning process and we aren't all at the same place right now.

Thanks for keeping it classy  ;)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 01:31:29 am »

There aren't types of Christians. Following only some of Christ's teaching doesn't exactly make one Christian.
And how would one support homosexuality or prostitution without engaging in it?

Do you follow everything the Catholic church says?
Christ. Though I do adhere to church doctrine.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 08:07:55 am »

The Keeniacs are basically a bunch of militant atheists, druggies and freaks. Not the kind of crowd a christian woman with three kids would probably wanna be around, and i felt obliged to give her a heads up. There are other FSP communities that are christian-friendly and more family oriented. Whats wrong with that ?

Make sure you tell Varrin about that.  I guess, between working in an industry where he couldn't use drugs if he wanted to, raising his family, and holding Christian services at PorcFest, no one told him...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

WendellBerry

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 12:35:57 pm »

There aren't types of Christians. Following only some of Christ's teaching doesn't exactly make one Christian.
And how would one support homosexuality or prostitution without engaging in it?

Do you follow everything the Catholic church says?
Christ. Though I do adhere to church doctrine.

I was wondering if you would like to have a discussion about catholic social doctrine and distributism in another section of the website like the commons?

Alex Libman

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 12:39:54 pm »

Make sure you tell Varrin about that.  I guess, between working in an industry where he couldn't use drugs if he wanted to, raising his family, and holding Christian services at PorcFest, no one told him...

There are Christians and then there are Christians.  They can be polar opposites.  Religious gibberish can be twisted any possible way.  At least all gays are constant in their self-pity and subconscious desire for self-destruction.  But most consistent of all are the conservative Muslims - and they will inherit the world.  At least until robots take over.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 01:08:54 pm »

I guess this thread gives the original poster a taste of the possible treatment .... of coarse by the worst of us :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Alex Libman

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 01:18:10 pm »

Of course everyone behaves differently IRL.

in real life I'm Bruce Wayne.  But online...  I'm Batman!

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 02:27:47 pm »

Hey Andvari, I know a Christian lady with three kids that hangs out with Keeniacs all the time.  Her name is Michele.

Shaunna is a free stater and Christian who lives down the street from me and will be cooking for the Keeniacs tonight at the KAC.

Maybe there is something you don't know about us.  Not that you'll ever find out, because you're too blinded by your hatred.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Argentum

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 09:18:33 pm »

I'm not a Christian, but I respect Christians that condemn what they view as sin even if others characterize their condemnation as bigoted, intolerant, etc.   It doesn't necessarily follow that one's objection to sin automatically leads to the promotion of government imposed remedies.  As a libertarian, this is where I part company with these people.  In fact, once they use force to stop sin, I don't even consider them Christians anymore.  On a personal note, I don't like and don't respect Christians, or people calling themselves Christians, who refuse to say anything is sinful.  It's almost as though they feel guilty if they criticize another human being's actions or choices. 

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 10:42:02 pm »

Its my perogative too if i wanna give advice on where not to move. You got a monopoly on this forum ?

I was trying to decide what you meant by "the boot" that Keith supposedly got because as far as I can tell, NOTHING happened to him.  I suppose I personally, gave him "the boot" in a manner of speaking as in he's no longer my friend, but I'm not Keene.  You speak as if there was some kind of collective and official-ish action taken to kick him out of... something... some group.  What?  It's really hard to follow your train of thought here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

anything