Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Study says New Hampshire is the 'most economically buoyant' state  (Read 3436 times)

mackler

• FSP Participant

"New Hampshire has the lowest crime rates in the country, the fourth lowest unemployment rates, and the ninth highest personal income per capita, making it the most economically buoyant state in the country," said the analysts.

http://www.nh.com/news/913869-151/study-n.h.-most-economically-buoyant-state.html

creaganlios

Re: Study says New Hampshire is the 'most economically buoyant' state
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:22:35 pm »

What an interesting post, in light of MaineShark and antistates' propositions that public unions in NH need to be treated punitively because they've obviously hurt our economy so much..... ::)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:43:48 pm »

What an interesting post, in light of MaineShark and antistates' propositions that public unions in NH need to be treated punitively because they've obviously hurt our economy so much..... ::)

They have.

We could be doing even better than we are.

I'm also curious, do you know what percentage of NH workers are unionized?  What percentage are subject to evergreen clauses and the like?

Go do the research.  There are reasons we're doing better than other places.  Low unionization rates are among them.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

creaganlios

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 06:47:27 pm »

They have.

We could be doing even better than we are.

I'm also curious, do you know what percentage of NH workers are unionized?  What percentage are subject to evergreen clauses and the like?

Go do the research.  There are reasons we're doing better than other places.  Low unionization rates are among them.

Joe

You continue to insist that we must hurt honest workers, destroy their sense of job security and rights to negotiate,  and make them as miserable as possible, to solve a problem you haven't identified, using inflammatory rhetoric. And people wonder why the GOP has developed a reputation of buffoonery...

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:21:22 pm »

You continue to insist that we must hurt honest workers, destroy their sense of job security and rights to negotiate,  and make them as miserable as possible, to solve a problem you haven't identified, using inflammatory rhetoric.

I have nothing against honest workers.  If you weren't blinded by your hatred for freedom, you might have noticed that I spoke adamantly against the recent "right to work" legislation, as a direct interference in the contracts that honest workers might negotiate with their employers.

And people wonder why the GOP has developed a reputation of buffoonery...

What are you ranting about, now?  I don't see any difference between you Demoblicans, and the Republicrats.  Y'all are all the same, to me.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

slothman

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:50 pm »

Are you against all unions or just gov't job unions?

Which is the RTW law again?
I always get confused on that.
Does the law mean that union-shops, "closed", are illegal, or the other way around?
Or is it something different?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 09:35:07 pm »

Are you against all unions or just gov't job unions?

Personally, I'm against all unions.  That is, I would never participate in such.  Politically, I have no business telling any private person what he may and may not do in contracting with another private person (ie, his employer).  When the government is involved, and given that I am forced (at gunpoint) to pay them, I have every right to tell them what to do, and anything which enhances government workers' ability to get lavish salaries and benefits, which I will be forced to pay for, is anti-freedom.

Public employees can vote into office those who will pay them the most, and I will be forced to do the actual paying.  It doesn't get much more corrupt than that.  Much of the growth of government in the last century can be directly tied to the unionization of public employees.  It resulted in a dramatic acceleration of the growth of government, when unions could back political candidates in order to benefit their members, at the expense of the rest of society.

Which is the RTW law again?
I always get confused on that.
Does the law mean that union-shops, "closed", are illegal, or the other way around?
Or is it something different?

It says that closed shops are illegal.  If some private group can negotiate a closed shop with their employer, that's their right.  I won't work there, but it's not my business to interfere with any freely-contracted benefit.

The pro-liberty position allows private unions to negotiate whatever benefits they can freely negotiate, including closed shops, if they want, while denying special privileges to public unions.  The difference between the two is that a a privilege, by definition, is a special law (privilege literally means "private law") that benefits a specific class of individuals, at the expense of others.

The hypocrisy of individuals like "Tully" is staggering.  He will go on at length about ending privilege (ie, he supports gay marriage, which ends the privilege that heterosexuals formerly held), and then turn right around and defend privilege, when it benefits a group that he wants to see get special treatment.  His recent rants are regarding the amendment to the budget that ends "evergreen" contracts for public employees.  If I have a contract that expires on a given date, and I fail to renegotiate it, I either lose my job, or become an ordinarily, non-contract employee.  For a public employee with an evergreen contract, if they don't renew their contract, then they get to keep working under the same terms, which is a special privilege that "ordinary mortals" don't have.

Joe

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:39:38 am »

There was no restriction on evergreen clauses being entered into private contract.
And the claim that public unionization causes pro-union officials to be elected in greater numbers, just has no basis in reality in NH.

Though I do agree on your RTW arguement overstepping and will write to see if I can get an amendment.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:47:54 am »

There was no restriction on evergreen clauses being entered into private contract.

Indeed.  Hence why I have no problem with this amendment.  If it were interfering with private contracts, I would be speaking out against it.

And the claim that public unionization causes pro-union officials to be elected in greater numbers, just has no basis in reality in NH.

Not pro-union, but pro-big-government.

Joe

creaganlios

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 07:20:18 am »

An evergreen clause is not a special privilege of public unions.

It is a provision that any union and management can negotiate and enter into, whether public or private. 

Surely you dont mean to say that every employer/employee has a right to negotiate a contract, while demanding that all such contracts say the same things, do you?  Because that is the contradiction you have proposed over and over and over and over, Maineshark...

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:26:18 am »

An evergreen clause is not a special privilege of public unions.

It is a provision that any union and management can negotiate and enter into, whether public or private.

No, when a private union negotiates such a clause, it is a mere benefit.  When a public union negotiates such a clause, it is a privilege, because I am required, by law, to pay them.

Privilege only happens when there's the backing of law.

Surely you dont mean to say that every employer/employee has a right to negotiate a contract, while demanding that all such contracts say the same things, do you?  Because that is the contradiction you have proposed over and over and over and over, Maineshark...

No, I mostly care what they don't say, and only on the ones that I am an unwilling party to.

Joe

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 07:41:43 am »

How so, it affects shareholders in either manner?
I could sell my share of NH and move elsewhere, but I think that the lack of structural reform is the greater problem.

In either regards, it doesn't seem that the Senate is as willing to curtail the process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up