Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brady Campaign Lifetime Report Card scores: states compared  (Read 7655 times)

freedomroad

Anti-Gun Brady Campaign Lifetime Report Card
The scores range from 1 to 13.  This measures several different rates and laws.  See source for more details.  To the Brady Campaign, a 13 is the best score.  However, since the Brady Campaign is a anti-gun organization, lower numbers are better for us.  Thus, Wyoming and Montana are best for us.

The resources:
State
grades for the last 6 years
lifetime average score (lower is better for us)

AK
d d- d- d- d- d-

DE
c+ b- c+ c c c

ID
D D D- F+ f+ f+

ME
d f f f f f

MT
f f f f f f

NH
d+ d+ d D+ d+ d+

ND
d d d d d d

SD
d d d d d d

VT
d- d- d- d- d- d-

WY
f f f f f f

The ranking for our concerns: lower numbers are better for us
1. Wyoming 1
1. Montana 1
3. Maine 1.8
4. Idaho 2.83
5. Vermont 3
6. Alaska 3.8
7. South Dakota 4
7. North Dakota 4
9. New Hampshire 5
10. Delaware 9.2

Source:
http://www.bradycampaign.org/press/rc03/rc_history.pdf
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 03:48:46 am by FreedomRoad »

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
Re:Brady Campaign Lifetime Report Card scores: states compared
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 07:34:50 am »

This report deals only with laws relating to children and guns.  It is far from comprehensive.

Keith, look at the laws.  Even Robert admitted that NH has better gun laws than WY , at http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=2230;start=15

It is a huge stretch to pretend that this report has any significance to the FSP.  
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 02:08:37 pm »

This report deals only with laws relating to children and guns.  It is far from comprehensive.

Actually, it looks at a great number of things:

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'
GRADING CRITERIA

Each state was carefully rated for the existence of seven types of legislation that protect children from gun violence, and also for the comprehensiveness and effectiveness of that legislation. The seven types of legislation include:

Juvenile Possession of Guns - whether it is illegal for a juvenile to possess or own a firearm without parental permission or supervision.
Sale/Transfer of Guns to Juveniles - whether it is illegal to sell a firearm to a juvenile or give a firearm to a juvenile without parental permission.
Safe Storage and Gun Owner Accountability - whether adults are required to store their firearms responsibly and out of the reach of children, and whether there are penalties for leaving guns accessible to children.
Childproof Guns and Gun Design Safety - whether guns must be sold with child-safety locks and/or include safety design features such as load indicators, magazine safety disconnects and restrictions on Saturday night special "junk" guns.
Local Government Authority to Regulate Guns - "Preemption" - whether the state has made it illegal for cities to enact stricter gun control laws than exist in the state in general. For example, in 1995 the Georgia General Assembly pre-empted the city of Atlanta's attempts to more strictly regulate firearms, despite the fact that Atlanta led the nation in violent crime that year. Preemption has been a favorite legislative tool of the gun lobby.
Secondary "Private" Gun Sale Background Checks - whether the state requires a criminal background check or reporting of secondary (private) sales such as can occur at gun shows.
Carrying Concealed Weapons (CCW) - whether individuals are allowed to carry loaded concealed guns and whether the police are forced to issue concealed carry permits or have some discretion to limit the carrying of concealed weapons in public. Grades may be raised or lowered based on whether a state sets strong limits or standards for issuing such permits and whether they recognize permits issued by other states.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
source:
http://www.bradycampaign.org/press/release.asp?Record=445

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 02:16:44 pm »

This report deals only with laws relating to children and guns.

That is not true.  It looks at a number if different things.  See my above post.

It is far from comprehensive.
Not 100%, but it does look at all kinds of things.

Keith, look at the laws.  

I am and this report helps us look at more laws.

It is a huge stretch to pretend that this report has any significance to the FSP.  

I disagree.  First off, this is a comparison of the 10 states over 6 years.  It tracks how the laws and action of the states and their citizens change over time.  For example, it shows that things about getting worse in Delaware.

It looks at quote a bit of different laws and gives us a snap-shot.

This is done by the largest anti-gun group in America.  They say that Wyoming is the worst state and NH is a decent state.  That speaks volumes.  Truely, big government groups hate Wyoming.  The America Lung Association also said that Wyoming was the worst state in the nation.

Whereas, pro freedom groups like Gun Owners of America and the Republican Liberty Caucus said that Wyoming is the best state in the nation.

It is very useful to track these patterns and see what big government groups thing of the candidate states.

I think you are just mad because NH does so poorly in this state-by-state comparison.

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 02:28:35 pm »

That study is a pile of steaming dung. I won't even bother to refute it point by point.

As a person who has lived in and works in Atlanta, I'll just point out that Atlanta leading the nation in violent crime has nothing to do with guns. If the guns weren't there, the residents of Atlanta would use rocks and hammers (and they do anyway).

Atlanta is one of the most blatant offenders when it comes to racial and gender preferences. It has three city workers for every one in other major U.S. cities. It steeps and rots in its own culture of ignorance and self-defeat. While it sinks, city leaders wail and moan about increasing taxes, driving the best and brightest further and further outside the city limits.

Legislation is just words on paper. Only human beings can protect children from "gun" violence. They can do it better if they are well armed.

Brady's wife is a puerile self-serving moron.

Actually, it looks at a great number of things:

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'
GRADING CRITERIA

Each state was carefully rated for the existence of seven types of legislation that protect children from gun violence, and also for the comprehensiveness and effectiveness of that legislation. The seven types of legislation include:

Juvenile Possession of Guns - whether it is illegal for a juvenile to possess or own a firearm without parental permission or supervision.
Sale/Transfer of Guns to Juveniles - whether it is illegal to sell a firearm to a juvenile or give a firearm to a juvenile without parental permission.
Safe Storage and Gun Owner Accountability - whether adults are required to store their firearms responsibly and out of the reach of children, and whether there are penalties for leaving guns accessible to children.
Childproof Guns and Gun Design Safety - whether guns must be sold with child-safety locks and/or include safety design features such as load indicators, magazine safety disconnects and restrictions on Saturday night special "junk" guns.
Local Government Authority to Regulate Guns - "Preemption" - whether the state has made it illegal for cities to enact stricter gun control laws than exist in the state in general. For example, in 1995 the Georgia General Assembly pre-empted the city of Atlanta's attempts to more strictly regulate firearms, despite the fact that Atlanta led the nation in violent crime that year. Preemption has been a favorite legislative tool of the gun lobby.
Secondary "Private" Gun Sale Background Checks - whether the state requires a criminal background check or reporting of secondary (private) sales such as can occur at gun shows.
Carrying Concealed Weapons (CCW) - whether individuals are allowed to carry loaded concealed guns and whether the police are forced to issue concealed carry permits or have some discretion to limit the carrying of concealed weapons in public. Grades may be raised or lowered based on whether a state sets strong limits or standards for issuing such permits and whether they recognize permits issued by other states.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
source:
http://www.bradycampaign.org/press/release.asp?Record=445
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 02:29:56 pm »

Ah! Now I see what you're getting at. If we reverse everything, the report becomes useful.

Much better.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

cbisquit

• FSP Participant
  • economics is freedom
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 02:51:30 pm »

Ah! Now I see what you're getting at. If we reverse everything, the report becomes useful.

Much better.
However as Jason has pointed out it is beneficial to gun control advocates to make a corollation between crime and guns, and they're very fond of doing so. Since it would be a terrible loss to somehow have the nation's lowest crime rate (NH) count they'll tend to fiddle with stats until it isn't ranked among the most free gunwise.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it.
John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 03:15:05 pm »

I think you are just mad because NH does so poorly in this state-by-state comparison.

Two things:

1.) It takes a lot more than one report to "get me mad."  Believe it or not, Keith, I'm actually a pretty low-key guy, and for the people on this forum that do research that I respect, regardless of whether I agree with the outcome or not, I really look forward to having a beer with them.  I happen to include you in that list.  

I just hope that we have that beer in NH instead of WY.   :)  

2.) NH didn't really do that "poorly" on this ranking, did it?  It got D+'s across the board, placing it squarely in the middle of the pack.  I just happen to think that this report from the enemy camp is pretty much meaningless for our purposes, and think it better to rely on the actual text of the relevant laws.  NH's gun laws are better than most of the ten, and now it even has a claim on having the best gun laws in the nation, though AK could also throw it's hat into that particular ring.

Man, where did you get this idea that I'm such an uptight person?  
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

Karl

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 03:22:51 pm »

Anti-Gun Brady Campaign Lifetime Report Card
The scores range from 1 to 13.  This measures several different rates and laws.  See source for more details.  To the Brady Campaign, a 13 is the best score.  However, since the Brady Campaign is a anti-gun organization, lower numbers are better for us.  Thus, Wyoming and Montana are best for us.

This report is out of date.  Per recent legislation in NH and AK, those states would probably both get an F.  NH and AK scores for concealed weapons should be lower (in fact, NH's "city pre-empt" grade of A is probably now an F. ;D)

The details are here:
http://www.bradycampaign.org/press/rc03/details.pdf

Of course, the methodology used by the report is extremely subjective, allowing for  fudging of the grades to fit this organization's agenda.
Pages: [1]   Go Up