Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protest Rally in Concord?  (Read 12639 times)

ghdel

Protest Rally in Concord?
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:01:30 pm »

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but figured this was the catch all forum.

So I was listening to the radio this morning and heard someone talk about union workers being bused into Concord to protest a bill in the NHLA regarding union rights(?).  I only heard part of it so might be incorrect, but what is this about and is there any impact on FSP?

Thanks

freedomroad

Re: Protest Rally in Concord?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:26:57 pm »

This has nothing to do with the NHLA.  It has nothing to do with the FSP.  Lots of people are going to be protesting lots of things.  It's mostly about the budget.  The NH House will be voting on a budget that will balance the budget and give the government more power to negotiate with labor unions on contracts.  The people protesting most likely do not want the NH House to pass a balanced budget and/or one that gives the government more power to negotiate with labor unions on contracts.

I will be there as part of the New Hampshire Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, handing out flyers about the death penalty in NH.

Here is the email I got,

Can you help??  Please join us at the RALLY FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE, this Thursday, MARCH 31, at the NH STATE HOUSE at 12 NOON.

This rally has been organized to create awareness of the devastating cuts proposed in the state’s budget for SFY ’12 and SFY ‘13.  We don't understand how the House of Representatives can cut funds to so many needed programs and at the same time endorse an expansion of the death penalty.  Just one death case costs the state around $5 million for trial alone.

The RALLY FOR NEW HAMPSHIRE has been endorsed and has the full support of a number of statewide provider, advocacy, labor, and public interest groups.  We will be there to share our message that it is a poor decision to expand the death penalty in this economic climate.
IF YOU CAN HELP on Thursday, please meet at the front of the NH State Library at 20 Park Street at 11:45 a.m.  We will have flyers to hand out in the crowd.  This is a great opportunity for us to educate people about the fiscal realities of the death penalty.  If you know you can make it, please send me an email kcooper at nodeathpenaltynh dot org.  It would be helpful to know, but feel free to just show up as well!
Katherine Cooper, executive director, NH Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty

Here is a website about the rally/protest.
http://www.nhcares.net

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 05:48:46 pm »

So I was listening to the radio this morning and heard someone talk about union workers being bused into Concord to protest a bill in the NHLA regarding union rights(?). 

I heard it stated that they are trying to get 10,000 bused in with a goal to prevent legislators from getting into the State House so that the budget cannot be passed.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:16:20 pm »

So I was listening to the radio this morning and heard someone talk about union workers being bused into Concord to protest a bill in the NHLA regarding union rights(?). 

I heard it stated that they are trying to get 10,000 bused in with a goal to prevent legislators from getting into the State House so that the budget cannot be passed.

Cuz that is the RIGHT Thing to do....  :'(  unreal...

(another I have to say I do think that the contract thing should be taken out of the budget and put into a bill all on its own... next year.)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:48:14 pm »

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but figured this was the catch all forum.

So I was listening to the radio this morning and heard someone talk about union workers being bused into Concord to protest a bill in the NHLA regarding union rights(?).  I only heard part of it so might be incorrect, but what is this about and is there any impact on FSP?

Thanks

An amendment in violation of House Rules was added to the budget.

WendellBerry

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:17 am »

Thanks

http://newhampshire.watchdog.org/8111/nh-house-committee-moves-to-end-collective-bargaining-for-public-sector-unions/

Representative Neal Kurk (R-Weare) offered the collective bargaining proposal as an amendment to the state’s two year budget bill, HB 2. The House has already approved legislation to end mandatory Evergreen Clauses in municipal labor contracts, but Kurk says his amendment would be a way to get rid of them entirely. Under an Evergreen Clause, the terms of an expired labor deal remain in place, including scheduled salary increases, until the public body and its employees union agree to a new deal. Critics contend that Evergreen Clauses keep unions from the bargaining table with no reason to ever agree to contracts with significant pay cuts. Kurk says his amendment would level the playing field between taxpayers and public employees.

creaganlios

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:31:58 am »

This is an interesting 'clause,' which will prove to separate the conservatives from the libertarians, and those who support free marktes as an end in themselves from those who see free markets as a means to more humane ends.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:19 am »

This is an interesting 'clause,' which will prove to separate the conservatives from the libertarians...

How so?  This is one of the select issues where conservatives and libertarians agree...

...and those who support free marktes as an end in themselves from those who see free markets as a means to more humane ends.

Freedom is an end in itself, and it is also a human end..  the most humane end.  A slave, no matter how coddled, is still a slave.  A free man, no matter how hard he has to work to survive, is better off than that coddled slave.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:48:24 am »

Thanks

http://newhampshire.watchdog.org/8111/nh-house-committee-moves-to-end-collective-bargaining-for-public-sector-unions/

Representative Neal Kurk (R-Weare) offered the collective bargaining proposal as an amendment to the state’s two year budget bill, HB 2. The House has already approved legislation to end mandatory Evergreen Clauses in municipal labor contracts, but Kurk says his amendment would be a way to get rid of them entirely. Under an Evergreen Clause, the terms of an expired labor deal remain in place, including scheduled salary increases, until the public body and its employees union agree to a new deal. Critics contend that Evergreen Clauses keep unions from the bargaining table with no reason to ever agree to contracts with significant pay cuts. Kurk says his amendment would level the playing field between taxpayers and public employees.
It doesn't matter what it does... it violated House rules.

freedomroad

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:10 am »

This is an interesting 'clause,' which will prove to separate the conservatives from the libertarians, and those who support free marktes as an end in themselves from those who see free markets as a means to more humane ends.

Because most libertarians don't support the existence of government worker unions; whereas, as far as I know, the majority of conservatives do?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:05:02 pm »

You mean libertarians don't support the individual freedom of association?

I think Tully means that conservatives will overlook the fact of the process by which the amendment was brought forth.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 01:49:25 pm »

How so?  As far as I know, the only relevant rule is that amendments need to be germane to the bill they are amending.  An amendment dealing with budgeted contract clauses is certainly germane to the budget.

Or was there some other rule that was violated?

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

WendellBerry

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 02:55:06 pm »

How so?  As far as I know, the only relevant rule is that amendments need to be germane to the bill they are amending.  An amendment dealing with budgeted contract clauses is certainly germane to the budget.

Or was there some other rule that was violated?

Kurk's "shot across the bow" of collective bargaining came in the form of an unannounced, last-minute amendment to the massive House budget bill.

creaganlios

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 03:10:13 pm »

1) Violation of House Rules ("Getting those damned unions" does not mean that the means justifies the ends)
2) Restricting the ability of free people to choose to organize and sell their labor at a freely negotiated price.
3) Believing that Functional Free Markets exist in the absence of equal bargaining power.

This clause is pure "get the unions, damn pulic employees!" and not based in sound economics, politics, or legal process.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 03:11:04 pm »

I like the bill.

But it was brought up wrong from what I understand.

Put it in a new bill next session.
Let it get the proper hearing.  Go thru the process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up