Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Commute from Nashua down US-3 to I-95 in Mass?  (Read 2112 times)

shemdogg

Commute from Nashua down US-3 to I-95 in Mass?
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:52:08 am »

Currently live in Mass looking at moving up to Nashua while keeping my 9 to 5 down here (for the time being)

Is the commute down 3 as bad as I've heard? Anyone do it daily?

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
Re: Commute from Nashua down US-3 to I-95 in Mass?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:06:33 am »

It's way better than it was before they widened it from 2 lanes to 3.  Time of day is a major factor, with northbound tending to slow down near the drum hill rotary in the evening.  Google maps will show you historical traffic trends for any time of day, so you can get a rough idea of what roads tend to be like on normal days.

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:46:33 am »

Currently live in Mass looking at moving up to Nashua while keeping my 9 to 5 down here (for the time being)

How bad did you hear it was? I rode from on I-93 from Salem, NH to a station in Boston once in 32min or so, that was at around 4:30 PM.  Then I rode the T to where I was working that night (another 15 min.) and walked to my final destination (another 10 min.)

You could also look into Seabrook, NH.  It's the least expensive AND most free town on the NH/MA border in eastern NH.  The biggest plus for you, though, may be that it is on I-95.  I'm not sure where you work in MA, though.  Depending on where you work in MA, Salem/Derry (I-93) or Seabrook (I-95) may be better/easier options than Nashua (R 3).

I think the secret would be to find out a way not to drive both south during the south bound rush and not drive north during the north bound rush.  Maybe if you don't like the commute after a month you could work something out with your boss so that a couple days per week you come in earlier or leave late.  When my dad had a 50 min. commute in TN he worked it out so that he stayed 1 hour late per day for 4 days per week and got every other Friday off.  Leaving later shortened his commute time plus he didn't have to make the commute at all on every other Friday.

The other option is to embrace the commute.  Get an mp3 player.  Start downloading podcasts.  Maybe spend $20 a year or whatever it costs to join one of the electronic book of the month programs where you get to DL the electric book of your choice.  If you really have money to throw around you could get a satellite radio or HD radio installed in your car.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:46:23 pm by Freedomroad »

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:22:35 am »

I commuted this every day for 3 years.  I still do it now but I live in Mason now so I hop on at RT 40  It takes about half and hour on average during rush hour to get from NH to the RT 3/I-95 junction.  Some days it's good and some days bad.  To get to my job on time before 9 am (In Billerica near Burlington) I always used to leave my house in Nashua between 8 and 8:15 and I would usually still get there with 15 mins to spare.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

doobie

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 02:28:19 pm »

3 down into MA to 495 isn't bad.  It tends to look like it backs on rt 3 at 495 quite a bit...I hop on 495 S so I don't know the rest.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 02:29:44 pm »

3 down into MA to 495 isn't bad.  It tends to look like it backs on rt 3 at 495 quite a bit...I hop on 495 S so I don't know the rest.
It usually opens up a bit after that but is still pretty solid the rest of the way to 95
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:46:30 pm »

I commute to Boston from Salem, NH down I-93 every day.  Commuting isn't bad once you get
used to it.

I strongly encourage you to make the move.  You'll be a lot happier.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 04:20:12 pm »

How bad did you hear it was? I rode from Salem, NH to a station in Boston once in 32min or so, that was at around 4:30 PM.

That is Rte 93 not Rte 3

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 04:45:02 pm »

How bad did you hear it was? I rode from Salem, NH to a station in Boston once in 32min or so, that was at around 4:30 PM.

That is Rte 93 not Rte 3

I know that and you know I know that.  Thanks for clarifying for others.  I'll add it to my post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up