Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle Inspection Warning  (Read 15263 times)

kirkbauer

Vehicle Inspection Warning
« on: March 17, 2011, 07:30:37 pm »

We recently moved to New Hampshire and purchased two new cars.  The first was from a dealer in New Hampshire, the other was from a dealer in Connecticut.  The out-of-state dealer collected our registration fee and handled our registration when we purchased the car (funny enough the New Hampshire dealer did not and we had to pay when we registered it ourselves).  Now, the in-state car had some sort of inspection sticker on the windshield, and the out-of-state vehicle did not (although it was completely registered in New Hampshire).

Fast-forward to about 9 months later.  My wife is pulled over for not having the inspection vehicle on that vehicle we purchased out-of-state.  She is told that the ticket is mandatory and we now owe $62.  The frustrating thing is nobody mentioned this requirement to us at all, not even when our car was registered.  When my wife took the vehicle in to have it inspected, she met several other people that were never informed of this requirement.  We are even told that they set up roadblocks on holiday weekends looking for "un-inspected" vehicles.  In addition, we have to have it re-inspected in 2 months on my birthday.  They charge $20 for each inspection (emissions and "safety") for our brand-new luxury vehicles (one a hybrid, one a TDI clean diesel) and then $62 for not telling us about this and catching us without the sticker.

This smells like a old-fashioned money grab to me.  I could fight it, but they have all the records they need to prove that the inspection was never done, and ignorance of the law is no excuse, so I don't see an angle.  If you have any ideas please share, but hopefully we can help warn other people about this.  We didn't have this type of system where we are from.

Thanks!

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Vehicle Inspection Warning
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:38:25 pm »

Simply plead your case.
Judges regularly 'place on file without finding' items such as this in unusual circumstances.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:25:45 pm »

Yeah, if you plead "not guilty," and show up with evidence that your vehicle is now inspected, it's almost certain they will drop the case.

As far as having it re-inspected, that's likely incorrect.  If you have it inspected within a certain number of months of your birthday, it's supposed to go to the next year forward.  Same for registration.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:39:06 am »

An inspection and registration under the law as exists in this moment can be up to 16 months long.  If you show up 5 months before your birthday with a brand new (to you) car to register, you will indeed (under law at the time of this post) have to re-inspect and re-register in 5 months.  Show up 4 months before and you will not.  Yesterday HB540 was passed by the house which changes inspection to every 2 years, so none of that will apply to inspections after Jan 1, 2012 if it makes it into law.  It will still apply to registration.

ny2nh

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 01:31:14 pm »

Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse BUT agreed that if you have an inspection now and go to court, the judge will likely wave the fine.

In Manchester, I can say that I am reminded every time I register my vehicle taht I have 10 days to get it inspected.

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:38:43 pm »

Just a heads-up, there's a new computerized vehicle inspection tracking system in NH. 

A lot of NH mechanics will f*** you over and claim you need breaks/rotors/CV/tires when you don't.  Last year, you used to just be able to "roll the dice" again and go to another inspection station and see if you wound up with someone more honest.  NH has set up a new computer system that mitigates that.  When the inspection tech begins the inspection, they have to check your car into a computer.  When they do that, as of this year, they'll see a list of the reasons the last inspection location failed you.  They'll likely fail you for the same reasons.  You can still roll the dice for someone more honest.  But, it's more likely to be a losing bet.

I get my care inspected by Husson Auto in Salem:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/husson-motors-auto-repair-salem
Husson Motors Auto Repair
13 S Broadway
Salem, NH 03079
(603) 898-6711
www.hussonmotorsautorepair.com

If you go on a week day, you'll deal with Jeff.  He's awesome (super honest).  I'm pretty knowledgeable when in comes to mechanical work.  I do most of the mechanical work on my car myself.  Husson Auto has never ripped me off or failed me on an inspection and I've had a lot of work/inspections done there.

What ever you do, never ever ever go to a car dealership that sells new cars for your inspection.  You may as well just adopt Obama's Welfare Aunt as a foster child for all the money you'll wind up giving to them and the state.

If you get failed for break pads (like most people do), just bring me a packie of beer and have $20 ($35 for trucks) for parts with you and I'll throw some new pads on your car in 30 mins.

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:01:00 pm »

There is a way around this.  Last year I didn't give my registration to the place until after they inspected me and told me what the so called problems were.  I didn't agree with their so called problems and went somewhere else and had a different list of so called problems and paid less.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:00:34 pm »

I'm surprised you didn't manage to get off with just a warning.  I used to drive a completely uninspectable clunker.  It was loud, barely ran and had rust all over.  A Hudson cop (sporting a big attitude) pulled me over for no inspection.  I told him I was taking it somewhere to get fixed when he pulled me over (which was true, I was going have a friend of mine fix the exhaust) and he let me off with a warning.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Andvari

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 06:04:28 pm »

They're bringing up all kinds of bills in the house, why not another to get rid of this silly inspection mandate.

Just curious, are tinted windows illegal in NH ?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 06:46:27 pm »

Because bills have a specific period when they can be entered... and NH is under OBDII in the southern tier, so the bill is for a biennial.
Not sure on the non-factory tinting.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 06:51:23 pm »

They're bringing up all kinds of bills in the house, why not another to get rid of this silly inspection mandate.

Well they increase the inspection period to two years.  Maybe they don't want to bite into too much at once.  Window tint, for the most part no.  I think it's allowed on the the two back side windows.  Hopefully that is something that can be fixed, but I doubt it's high on the to do list.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 06:52:16 pm »

The Free Staters in the House are trying to change it to bi-annual rather than annual.  I don't know if the Senate will go along with it.  Once all the old pieces of **** that make up the "Greatest (welfare) Generation" are dead, I suspect NH will get rid of it completely.

Tinted windows are only illegal for the windshield and driver and passenger windows.  That didn't stop a Honda dealership from trying to charge me >$300 to remove tint from my back window because I "couldn't pass" inspection with it.  There's a lot of con games going on in NH that are run by people that were born and raised here.  You just need to find someone new to the state (or someone who you can trust)- it's a night and day difference between realization of what's right and wrong among locals/non-locals.

- anon

Susanmtns

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 04:48:09 am »

Con games are ubiqitous. Wherever you go, you just seek out the honest people and hope for the best.  When I first moved to western NC ten years ago there were two sets of rules; one for the locals, one for the imports.  Funny thing, it is the imports who are preserving the environment.  Locals sell out to the highest bidder, then complain about the 'foreigners' coming in.

However, my experience with vehicle inspections or any regulatory compliance has been consistently fair. Go figure.

Susan

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 06:54:49 am »

NH's vehicle inspection doesn't involve a tailpipe emissions test.
And would you suggest that imports believe it their mission to 'save the environment'?

blaknoize

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 12:28:48 am »

Soo... are there emission standards in NH or just the major cites of NH (Manchester, Portsmouth, Nausau)? I swear my car will fail period, coming from Ohio where everyones poor, just having a car that works is all that matters.

I have a damaged exhaust system, bad wheel bearings, tie rods, both CV axles, bad turbo oil cooling system etc, also my car is 21yrs old.

What must a car have "functional" to pass an inspection, is it similar to WV or PA inspections?
GET THERE!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up