Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More on New Hampshire  (Read 2615 times)

jordanz

• Bowmore 30
    • My Home Page
More on New Hampshire
« on: July 07, 2003, 06:51:02 pm »

Some more thoughts after visiting New Hampshire...

* I was taken aback by the housing prices. We own a home in Monterey which has some of the highest priced housing in the country. When we visited NH we looked at real estate. It isn't much cheaper than Monterey (at least in Portsmouth where we looked). This is disappointing.

* Big city stuff: I'm used to living in a smallish town. But, Portsmouth seemed very small. Question for anyone living (or near) there. Do you find you need to go to Boston to do stuff (major brand shopping, current movies, etc.) or do you find everything you need locally?

* Weather: I've lived in California all my life except for a one year stint in Boston when I was 18 - which I don't remember anymore ;) Can anyone comment on the weather related adjustment?

RhythmStar

• FSP Participant
  • Imagine there's no Heaven.
    • RhythmStar Records
Re:More on New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 07:09:07 pm »

California has the best weather on the planet.  No kidding.  Especially where I live, along Orange County's Gold Coast (Corona del Mar).   However, the real estate here is ASTRONOMICAL.  3 bedroom homes in the Irvine flats can easily cost 600K.  Where I live, a broken down bungalow from the 1920s on a short lot is 600K.  Remodel it and you can charge 1.2 million.

Fewer than 20% of the people living in Orange County can afford to own a home there.

I lived in New Jersey once for 14 months.  The summers were 100+ and 100% humidity, and the local wretches all incincerated their own garbage, so there was a constant pall of burning plastic in the air.   The winters were very cold with tons of snow, making normal business commuting a nightmare.   It is hard to describe the oppressiveness of the environment.

On the plus side, great public transit made owning a car optional.  The pizza was outstanding and the people were outgoing and friendly.

I don't expect New Hampshire weather to be as hellish as New Jersey, but I expect it to be pretty extreme compared to my current abode.  Hopefully, the beautiful springs, autumns, and sense of community will make up for it.  

:)

RS
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 07:10:41 pm by RhythmStar »
Irony is the innate perversity of circumstance. -- William House

Karl

Re:More on New Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 07:19:22 pm »

* I was taken aback by the housing prices. We own a home in Monterey which has some of the highest priced housing in the country. When we visited NH we looked at real estate. It isn't much cheaper than Monterey (at least in Portsmouth where we looked). This is disappointing.

My understanding is that Portsmouth is the most expensive of the larger New Hampshire towns.  You might consider the Manchester-Concord corridor, where prices are far more reasonable.

Also, Portsmouth does have cinemas and shopping, pretty much all the major national retail chains.  You must have missed them. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up