Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Freestaters Freeloaders  (Read 7347 times)

lildog

Are Freestaters Freeloaders
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:19:00 am »

That's the charge being leveled here:

http://www.nhinsider.com/steven-j-connolly/2013/9/14/free-state-freeloaders.html

Personally I disagree with Steven's charge since a freeloader is someone who takes without giving back.  In the case of those in Keene, they are doing everything they can not to take from the government.

So is finding ways to not have your money taken from you for something you do not want and do not use a form of freeloading?

Figured I'd share here so sake of discussion.

By the way, Steven has been known to delete out comments he disagrees with so if anyone comments and he starts pulling his old tricks let me know and I'll post them into a counter article where he wouldn't be able to delete.

Connecticutsucks

Re: Are Freestaters Freeloaders
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:40:51 am »

I am quite excited to see that there is so much backlash against the FSP because it shows that the project is working. The Statists are freaking out! Beautiful. I can't wait to join.

airetamstrm

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:51:04 am »

I submitted a post on that page asking that some friendly dialogue be opened up here. If Mr. Steven Connolly chooses to accept I hope we can respond kindly. Can't hurt to open a dialogue with the other side, if for nothing else, to get their rationale.

The Statists are freaking out! Beautiful. I can't wait to join.
I'd be cautious in making assumptions, read some of his other posts and you'll see what I mean.

Matt Clem

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:15:09 pm »

In a sense we are trying to prevent freeloaders. If someone doesn't pay the state their ransom, they are guaranteeing there is a smaller organization to be freeloaded from.
Government is the great fiction through which everyone attempts to live at the expense of everyone else.  ~ Frederic Bastiat

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 02:16:48 pm »

I don't quite understand. Declaring oneself a Church doesn't automatically qualify for a property tax exemption.

d.j.smith

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:51:10 pm »

Just dashed off the following reply to Mr. Connelly:

---

"Free Keene Free State whatever."

Whatever? How is anyone supposed to take what you write seriously if *you* don't take it seriously enough to be *specific* in what you say?

It is not honorable to lump groups of people together and treat them as a mass despite fundamental differences. Surely you can do better.

If you took the time to really investigate your subject, you would find that the Libertarian attitude -- which is the common thread uniting FSP participants -- is the exact opposite of "freeloading". Self-reliance is one of its central tenets.

---

We'll see if he's man enough to take some constructive criticism.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:42:07 pm »

The communist will always complain that other people aren't communist. In this case, 1 of the 1,100 or so free staters in NH, Ian Freeman, formed a church and no longer wants to pay property taxes. Or wants to pay property taxes but a lessor amount. With the news that 1 free stater wants to pay less property taxes (doesn't everyone), Steve goes insane. If anything, that link shows that maybe Steve should be institutionalized.

d.j.smith

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:00:17 pm »

Quote from: 1DayAtATime
The communist will always complain that other people aren't communist.

Ain't that the sad truth...
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »

The communist will always complain that other people aren't communist. In this case, 1 of the 1,100 or so free staters in NH, Ian Freeman, formed a church and no longer wants to pay property taxes. Or wants to pay property taxes but a lessor amount. With the news that 1 free stater wants to pay less property taxes (doesn't everyone), Steve goes insane. If anything, that link shows that maybe Steve should be institutionalized.
But how is he going to do that? Even if he incorporated with the SOS, and filed for 501c(3) status, the property tax exemption is not automatic.

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 03:48:08 pm »

Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

freedomroad

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 10:32:23 pm »

But how is he going to do that? Even if he incorporated with the SOS, and filed for 501c(3) status, the property tax exemption is not automatic.

I have no idea. Since he has paid 10s of 1000s in property taxes and isn't on social security, medicaid or medicare, since he isn't on welfare or disability or attending a government school, since he doesn't have kids in government school and doesn't call the police, it would be insane to call him a moocher.

d.j.smith

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 03:58:03 am »

LOL, escapist!

File that one under "cognitive dissonance". ;)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 09:17:32 am »

I didn't call him a moocher. I asked, by what means?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 10:03:22 am »

I didn't call him a moocher. I asked, by what means?

I think 1DayAtATime was saying that, even if he's claiming exemption, he's still not a moocher as the article asserts.  Maybe he's getting an exemption; maybe he's not - it doesn't matter, because what he's already paid over the years and what he still pays in gas taxes and such more than accounts for what few government services he uses because he cannot avoid them.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 12:57:22 pm »

The article is written by an imbecile. He's flaming about a group for the actions of one; and not even showing how the actions of one would be anything from the norm under our current system of laws.

Its not Ian sought to change the rules.
If Ian was putting the property in Current Use I, or donating it to conservation, would the writer be willing to write the same article.
Of course not.

Pages: [1]   Go Up