Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salem Town Election Results Undone - 16% Tax Hike (Mostly Police Responsible)  (Read 1511 times)

anon37268573

• First1000

Salem session boosts tax rate by 16 percent:  Road repair project adds $2.56m in spending
http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x1498150735/Salem-session-boosts-tax-rate-by-16-percent

Only 310 people showed up to vote.  The $2.56MM in spending, rejected by voters at the polls on Saturday,
was passed with a 118-92 vote.  Many of the people in attendance were police officers, whom will receive
massive amounts of overtime pay for "working" construction details, and the relatives and families of
police officers.

Salem had 100 foreclosures last year because people were unable to pay their mortgages and taxes in
the down economy.  Foreclosures this year are expected to greatly surpass that number.

Please go beat yourself in the head with a hammer if you moved to NH as part of the FSP and refuse to
vote.  27 votes just cost Salem a 16% hike, for unnecessary road repairs, on an already unaffordable tax rate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:15:51 pm by anon37268573 »

John Edward Mercier

• Native

Salem is a little far from me... but maybe its worth some outreach to those have problems paying their property tax.
Usually the information and schedule can be easily attained at the assessor's office.

antistate1190

Salem session boosts tax rate by 16 percent:  Road repair project adds $2.56m in spending
http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x1498150735/Salem-session-boosts-tax-rate-by-16-percent

Only 310 people showed up to vote.  The $2.56MM in spending, rejected by voters at the polls on Saturday,
was passed with a 118-92 vote.  Many of the people in attendance were police officers, whom will receive
massive amounts of overtime pay for "working" construction details, and the relatives and families of
police officers.

Salem had 100 foreclosures last year because people were unable to pay their mortgages and taxes in
the down economy.  Foreclosures this year are expected to greatly surpass that number.

Please go beat yourself in the head with a hammer if you moved to NH as part of the FSP and refuse to
vote.  27 votes just cost Salem a 16% hike, for unnecessary road repairs, on an already unaffordable tax rate.

Salem is next to Massachusetts and I wouldn't be surprised they did this with all the Massholes there. That's why when I move to NH I'm going to move at least 50 miles away from the border. Even Keene is too close.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs

Most people, even FSPers, don't realize how much town meeting/school board impacts their taxes.
In NH, with our local control, 2 dozen people showing up at town meeting make the difference for millions of dollars of town spending and major tax hikes vs. decreases.

The NHLA periodically does "town meeting training" (at least, they did in the past & I presume will again in the future)
Pages: [1]   Go Up