Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for personal tipping point  (Read 2929 times)

GregAndLetGreg

• Gregory Hayes Photography
Looking for personal tipping point
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:33:02 am »

*ding* #10,701, I believe!

I've got it pretty good where I am. Moving away from my current place would mean giving up an interesting relationship with a talented young lady; leaving behind the cozy cabin in the redwoods we've labored to make our home; abandoning the groundwork I've laid building my photography business; walking away from some side enterprises I really enjoy; and moving far away from some people who mean a hell of a lot to me. But I get it--I believe this is important, and I want to be part of it.

I'm signed up now, and have begun looking for gigs to tide me through as I get my business rolling in a new place. When I do take the plunge, I'd like to know where to begin. I'm mainly a commercial photographer, specializing in hospitality (food, resorts, products), but I also shoot weddings. My business is doing well in its current tourism hot spot home, and I'd like to find a similar location: somewhere I can live affordably amid beauty and gastronomic delights, where the economy thrives and needs creatives, a place with a hoppin' music scene and a profusion of art; a destination for weddings and other great events; a place with cozy pubs, incredible restaurants, eclectic residents, and YOU.

You live there? Where is that place? What's it like?

Go on. Push me over the edge, and I'll be your neighbor by summer.

anon37268573

• First1000
Re: Looking for personal tipping point
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:35:39 am »

Probably Seabrook (on the coast). 

A lot of people get married up in southern Maine or in their local Boston Churches.  Both are easily commutable from Seabrook and there's already a relatively large group of liberty minded people in Seabrook.  After from the White Mountains,  the coast of NH is its next biggest tourist area. 

In the time I've been here, I found that the number of liberty activists (prior movers) a person that is looking to start their own business connects with, the better they do.  There are a number of restaurant/pub owners and web designers that have moved as part of the FSP.

raymcgill

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 12:22:14 pm »

Tipping point? I had the same needs. I found Portsmouth. It will BLOW YOUR MIND!

One visit, and there will be no questions.

I moved here 1.5 years ago. No regrets at all. Even the worst part of the state is better than most states.

Property taxes are higher, but if you have in income, it balances out.

Raymond
Mover #776

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:35:09 pm »

Lakes Region is probably the best fit for your combination of requirements.

You can likely use a site like modelmayhem.com to do some searches and at least get an idea of the density of photographers in any given area.  Punch in a location and radius, and count the results...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

GregAndLetGreg

• Gregory Hayes Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:06:03 pm »

Cheers for the advice. I'm planning to attend PorcFest, then spend a little time out there exploring. Looking forward to it!

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 03:35:13 pm »

Photographers get soooo much ass in NH it isn't funny.                                                                                                                                                                    

"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up