Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from Illinois  (Read 1418 times)

EscapingIllinois

Moving from Illinois
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:08:28 pm »

Hey guys,

The wife and I finally decided to get out of here and move out east.  We'll be bringing 3 young kids and our dog.  We still have a lot of work to do, sell our current house, find jobs, find an area to move to, etc, but was hoping i could get some answers to a few questions from you guys. Our plan for the kids is either home school or private, but in case the worst happens, how are the public schools out there in general?  I keep reading that the job market for IT is pretty good out there, how successful have the new movers been with getting jobs in a decent amount of time?  Does NH have any laws against certain breeds of dogs?  I ask because Chicago-land has some dangerous dog laws, extra licensing, paperwork, etc, and i don't want anything to happen to my baby.  The mean, vicious pit bull that is currently being used as a pillow on the couch by my two year old :)  And finally, how have you all been treated by the locals?  Pretty friendly, or have you been isolated because you're a Free-Stater?  Thanks in advance!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Moving from Illinois
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:20:28 am »

Hey guys,

The wife and I finally decided to get out of here and move out east.  We'll be bringing 3 young kids and our dog.  We still have a lot of work to do, sell our current house, find jobs, find an area to move to, etc, but was hoping i could get some answers to a few questions from you guys. Our plan for the kids is either home school or private, but in case the worst happens, how are the public schools out there in general? 

Depends VERY much on the town.  Some have GREAT ones. Some mediocre and some bad... truly varies town by town.

I keep reading that the job market for IT is pretty good out there, how successful have the new movers been with getting jobs in a decent amount of time? 
Yes....or getting them in MA and commuting.  What type of IT work?
Also having a local address and local phone might help.... (maybe a PO box and a trac phone when you start the search?)

Does NH have any laws against certain breeds of dogs?  I ask because Chicago-land has some dangerous dog laws, extra licensing, paperwork, etc, and i don't want anything to happen to my baby.  The mean, vicious pit bull that is currently being used as a pillow on the couch by my two year old :) 
I don't think so.  Maybe at some town levels (but I haven't heard of it.   There is a dog license needed for every dog...state law administered by towns... (like $7 license per year I think...maybe lower)

And finally, how have you all been treated by the locals?  Pretty friendly, or have you been isolated because you're a Free-Stater?  Thanks in advance!
Very well in some cases.
Poorly in others.

Most people welcome you.  Often times it doesn't come up and some people have preconceived notions of what an FSPer is... if you they know you as 'that guy with 3 kids who volunteers in town... they get to know you before they know you are an FSPer.... are you any different than anyone else who wants more freedom and a place for his kids to grow up safe?  :)

Welcome!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:22:21 am »

The wife and I finally decided to get out of here and move out east.  We'll be bringing 3 young kids and our dog.

Cool.  I have a buddy who's stuck in Chicago, so good to see that some folks are vacating "Ill-noise."

Our plan for the kids is either home school or private, but in case the worst happens, how are the public schools out there in general?

Wouldn't know, as we homeschool, but I would expect that they're much better than anything in the Chicago area, at least from a safety point-of-view.  If you search Youtube for "open carry litter pickup" and "Manchester," you should find some videos showing Central street, which is one of the most dangerous areas in Manchester.  Just to give you a point of comparison.

Does NH have any laws against certain breeds of dogs?

Well, there are certain restrictions on wolves and wolf-dog hybrids, but I think that's it.

Pretty friendly, or have you been isolated because you're a Free-Stater?

That depends upon the locals you happen to be around.  As a local, I can say that I don't tend to isolate Freestaters.

Of course, it depends more upon whether they even know.  The FSP is a bus, to get folks to NH.  Once you're here, it's no longer really relevant.  You might tell someone, but most folks won't even know why you moved here.  You can give your reasons, without ever mentioning the FSP.  Not that you should hide it - just saying that, if there's some doubt as to how someone in particular may react, you don't need to go out of your way to volunteer the information.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:58:48 am »

Some locals love us, some hate us.  That's what happens when you take a visible position against the status quo.

I know of no dog restrictions in Keene.

Here are over 130 reasons to move to Keene: http://move.freekeene.com

Congrats on your move!
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up