Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are parts of Nashua "ghetto?"  (Read 11878 times)

antistate1190

Are parts of Nashua "ghetto?"
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:59:05 am »

I've been there once and parts of the downtown looked unsafe like the cities you see in Mass. I know the whole city isn't like that but are the "ghetto" parts dangerous?

I'm not moving to Nashua. I'm just posting out of curiosity.

freedomroad

Re: Are parts of Nashua "ghetto?"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:46:27 am »

What do you mean by ghetto?  Nashua is a relatively safe city compared to just about any city with the same amount of people anywhere in the US.  I've been all over Nashua and never seen an area that I wouldn't feel safe jogging in at night.

I think the best way to prove this would be for you to go back to Nashua, walk every block in the city, take a photo and report back to us.  Send me the photos and I'll upload them and pay you 25 cents per photo. 

You game?

Porcustein

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:17:53 pm »

There are some "bad" areas, but it's relative to the size of the city.  It isn't any more "ghetto" than any other city.  I don't ever feel unsafe in Nashua.

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:57:26 pm »

"ghetto?"

How thoroughly prejudiced.  Please stay where you are.

Your comment seems more unwelcoming to me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:37:08 pm by Freedomroad »

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 01:20:18 pm »

"ghetto?"

How thoroughly prejudiced.  Please stay where you are.

Escaping ghettos is one of the reasons I moved to New Hampshire.  Please, make the move.  You're welcome, here.

antistate1190

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 02:15:25 pm »

There are some "bad" areas, but it's relative to the size of the city.  It isn't any more "ghetto" than any other city.  I don't ever feel unsafe in Nashua.

That's what I was asking.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:21:01 pm »

As to the original poster...

Having lived in Nashua, I can state with personal knowledge that there are definitely some bad areas.  It also borders the Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts, so there's the added danger of becoming an instant criminal by accidentally wandering across the line, if you carry a gun (which is a particularly good idea, given the aforementioned bad areas).

As you may have noticed, there are probably some who will take offense at the use of the word, "ghetto," but I think that's silly.  Such places existed, and still exist.  Pretending that they don't is the surest way to make sure the problem will never be remedied.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

antistate1190

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 05:55:52 pm »

1) If it's appropriate to hope out loud that Statists stay ouf of New Hampshire, it is equally appropriate to hope that bigots stay out as well.  It is perfectly within my right to hope that my state not be turned into a haters paradise...or a nanny state.

2) For the writer who moaned about all the 'leftists' in the area, take note:  the Liberty Movement, and libertarianism, is not the equivalent of, notr the first cousin of, nor a type of, Conservatism.  Libertarians are just as 'leftist' as they are 'rightist.'  If you don't understand that, then you don't understand who we are.

I'm 100000% anti-state and voluntaryist. I only asked b/c I've seen forums on NH saying that parts of Nashua are ghetto and the entire city is FULL of statists from Lowell and Lawrence Mass.

antistate1190

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 05:57:14 pm »

As to the original poster...

Having lived in Nashua, I can state with personal knowledge that there are definitely some bad areas.  It also borders the Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts, so there's the added danger of becoming an instant criminal by accidentally wandering across the line, if you carry a gun (which is a particularly good idea, given the aforementioned bad areas).

As you may have noticed, there are probably some who will take offense at the use of the word, "ghetto," but I think that's silly.  Such places existed, and still exist.  Pretending that they don't is the surest way to make sure the problem will never be remedied.

Joe

Thanks. Your right tho. "Ghetto" was probably a bad choice of words.

djbridgeland

• moved October 2008, Second 1000
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 06:18:05 pm »

Ghetto? Ahh no, a bit run down yes. Many in NH do not realize how good they have it, even in the "worst areas of NH". I looked it up recently and Nashua is one of the safest cities in the US like in the top 25.   Upon moving to NH I lived in Central Manchester which by some is considered the most dangerous neighborhood in NH, and saw it at as working class neighborhood. I was mostly surprised by lack of abandoned properties, as where I grew up had upwards of 5 abandoned properties per a block in the bad areas. Living in Manchester I have seen at most 10  abandoned  properties in the whole city.    
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:20:47 pm by djbridgeland »

freedomroad

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:18:24 pm »

I'm 100000% anti-state and voluntaryist. I only asked b/c I've seen forums on NH saying that parts of Nashua are ghetto and the entire city is FULL of statists from Lowell and Lawrence Mass.

I can assure that that the second part of that statement is not accurate.  The 2009 NHLA Legislature of the Year lives in Nashua and a libertarian leaning Senator was just elected from Nashua.

antistate1190

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:23:44 pm »

Ghetto? Ahh no, a bit run down yes. Many in NH do not realize how good they have it, even in the "worst areas of NH". I looked it up recently and Nashua is one of the safest cities in the US like in the top 25.   Upon moving to NH I lived in Central Manchester which by some is considered the most dangerous neighborhood in NH, and saw it at as working class neighborhood. I was mostly surprised by lack of abandoned properties, as where I grew up had upwards of 5 abandoned properties per a block in the bad areas. Living in Manchester I have seen at most 10  abandoned  properties in the whole city.    

How statist is the "working class" (a marxist term) in NH?

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:09 pm »

How statist is the "working class" (a marxist term) in NH?

You may be confused.  He didn't use the term working class to reference Karl or statism.  It was a term meant to describe the area and the people in it.

To answer your question, a working class people may be anywhere from 0% to 100% on the statist scale ;)

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 10:03:42 am »

I lived in Nashua for four years.  The down town is perfectly safe.  The areas in Nashua that people may consider run down, or low class would be French Hill and the Tree Streets areas.  The Crown Hill area can also be a bit seedy.  I used to live in an area called Little Florida, which was a nice area near down town.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend
Pages: [1]   Go Up