Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Corrupt police depts  (Read 6170 times)

Andvari

Corrupt police depts
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:04:18 pm »

I saw a vid on Ridley recently discussing problems in Weare with corrupt law enforcement. I think he mentioned that they've had a reputation for some time,

i was wondering what other towns/cities have a similar bad rep ? This is an important issue for potential movers....i now know Weare would be off my list, who wants to be around crooked cops.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Corrupt police depts
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:52:26 pm »

Cops start at crooked, and get worse from there.

Are you looking for the places with the least-corrupt cops?  Because you're never going to find a non-corrupt cop...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:12:56 am »

I live in a town with three cops that only have one "car".  I think the smaller town the harder it is for the police to be corrupt since they know most of the people in town.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Andvari

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:25:54 am »

Cops start at crooked, and get worse from there.

Are you looking for the places with the least-corrupt cops?  Because you're never going to find a non-corrupt cop...

Joe

Of course, relatively speaking.
Some cops are better then others.

I guess what im asking is if there are certain towns/cities that stick out like a sore thumb and are really bad compared to the rest of the state. Ridley reported that Weare cops were involved in dealing drugs, is this common in other areas ? Here in Nyc, corruption is rampant--- they get busted frequentley for drug dealing and many other things.

Bazil

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 06:51:49 pm »

Heard the cops in Dover and Rollingsford are pretty bad.  I haven't seen any corruption with the Cops in Nashua, but I think they spend too much time writing traffic violations and not enough time tracking down local thieves.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

BikerBill

• Adventures in the Free State
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »

Weare is one of the few towns in NH that has an elected police chief. Next election is March 8. More FreeStaters in town (we have quite a collection already, and in the vicinity) could diminish the problem, in general. Decent chance it could get diminished this election day regardless...

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:23:26 am »

Kingston has elected cops.  The entire department is elected for one- or three-year terms.  Officers can also be removed by the chief of police, which may have been unintentional.

Elected officers and chiefs are covered under RSA 41:47.

Elected police commissions can be accomplished under RSA 105:C, giving you an elected board of three that handle all of the personnel issues on the department.

Both can be accomplished through citizen's petitions.  Of course, all of this gets much harder when a town hits a population (by Cenus) of 10,000, which Seabrook is in danger of doing.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 01:57:27 am »

RSA 41:47 limits when such elective hiring can take place... and it may be hard to fire an elected official.
A police commission simply sets up another layer of bureaucracy.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 05:44:01 pm »

weare is tiny place, but has bad cops, but probably still better than manchester

small towns can be not too bad
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Bazil

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:01:16 pm »

discussing problems in Weare with corrupt law enforcement.

This post is highly related:

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=23102.msg260824

swamp_yankee

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 01:46:45 am »

Small town cops can be bad because they are bored, and many residents are interested in protecting their cozy solitude. On the other hand places with partying and transient elements can be tough too because cops want to crack down on problems and get little heat for messing with outsiders.  Hampton cops are the worse for this reason. Just preying on partiers like predators.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:37:59 am »

RSA 41:47 limits when such elective hiring can take place... and it may be hard to fire an elected official.
A police commission simply sets up another layer of bureaucracy.

What bureaucrat is hired?  How is it another layer?
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

raymcgill

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 12:33:02 pm »

Your getting your information from a very opinionated source. I think the police in NH are much less corrupt because they have Ridley and the whole activist Keene chasing them around. Yes, to them, all police are corrupt. I would propose that Police corruption is probably LESS of a problem in NH than other states.

Durruti

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 04:27:04 am »

I live in a town with three cops that only have one "car".  I think the smaller town the harder it is for the police to be corrupt since they know most of the people in town.

A corrupt cop is most likely to help out people that he knows.

Corruption among the police is a good thing when the law is opposed to liberty.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 01:38:16 am »

Your getting your information from a very opinionated source. I think the police in NH are much less corrupt because they have Ridley and the whole activist Keene chasing them around. Yes, to them, all police are corrupt. I would propose that Police corruption is probably LESS of a problem in NH than other states.
+1
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up