Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Various Questions  (Read 1827 times)

walrus von zeppelin

Various Questions
« on: February 27, 2011, 01:47:08 am »

I have a couple of questions about New Hampshire.

First, the legislature, when does it meet? How long does it stay in session? I see that its session began January 5th but I am not so sure how long they meet. How much time do they spend in session per day? Someone representing Coos county would seem to have an awfully long drive to the capital each day for business.

A representative in the house represents about 3000 people. I could be wrong about this but from what I've read it has led me to believe that they do not represent any specific 3000 people but that the whole district elects as many representatives that they have. So that you end up voting for 1-12 candidates, or however many there are. This doesn't actually seem like the representatives are answerable to 3000 people but to everyone in the district. Is this how it works or am I mistaken?

Why do few people , or in some cases none, live in the unincorporated areas of New Hampshire? Are these places so far out of the way you might as well be living in Alaska? Or is the land privately held by corporations who won't sell or some such?

I was reading some things about Free Grafton and that left me with a few questions as well. One thing was that they did not enforce building code. When they say "Grafton" in this context does it refer to the city of Grafton or Grafton county? The other was that Grafton had one full time police officer, Merle. Again, is this for the city or the county?

Does the FSP do any standard commercial advertising?

And just as an aside, today I was reading a non-FSP forum about New Hampshire hunting and there was a thread about proposed legislation dealing with loaded firearms in a vehicle. It depressed me to see everyone in that thread taking the non-liberty stance on this issue. Seems the FSP needs more movers!

Thanks

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Various Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:59:15 am »

I have a couple of questions about New Hampshire.

Welcome!!
First, the legislature, when does it meet? How long does it stay in session? I see that its session began January 5th but I am not so sure how long they meet. How much time do they spend in session per day? Someone representing Coos county would seem to have an awfully long drive to the capital each day for business.

Till about June... when they finish the budget...

A representative in the house represents about 3000 people. I could be wrong about this but from what I've read it has led me to believe that they do not represent any specific 3000 people but that the whole district elects as many representatives that they have. So that you end up voting for 1-12 candidates, or however many there are. This doesn't actually seem like the representatives are answerable to 3000 people but to everyone in the district. Is this how it works or am I mistaken?

If a town had 3000 people they would get 1 rep.
My town has about 5500 and we combine the with neighboring two smaller towns... and the 3 towns together get 3 reps.
There are some towns that get like 27 reps all for one town.. crazy.  I wish that they would break it up into 'wards' of smaller section for 3000 people.   There is going to be redistricting for the 2012 election... Some things will be fixed... this is a 'hot' topic in the state house.

Why do few people , or in some cases none, live in the unincorporated areas of New Hampshire? Are these places so far out of the way you might as well be living in Alaska? Or is the land privately held by corporations who won't sell or some such?

I don't think that there are really that many unincorporated areas of NH.  And yes many are 'out of the way'.

I was reading some things about Free Grafton and that left me with a few questions as well. One thing was that they did not enforce building code. When they say "Grafton" in this context does it refer to the city of Grafton or Grafton county? The other was that Grafton had one full time police officer, Merle. Again, is this for the city or the county?
I think it refers to the town of Grafton... as I think some places in Grafton county has zoning.  Most 'stuff' is done by towns and not county in NH.
Same with the police officer....town level.

Does the FSP do any standard commercial advertising?
we try to... do you have any suggestions?
We have ads right now on:
various websites...often free ones.

Free Talk Live Radio
Peter Schiff Radio
Facebook

right now.

We have had ads in various other places.  Often it is lack of money that we don't have ads.

And just as an aside, today I was reading a non-FSP forum about New Hampshire hunting and there was a thread about proposed legislation dealing with loaded firearms in a vehicle. It depressed me to see everyone in that thread taking the non-liberty stance on this issue. Seems the FSP needs more movers!

Thanks

Yes we do need more movers.  But every few weeks we seem to get more movers...so that is good.
And 12 FSPers have been elected to the NH House....and that is GREAT!

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:44:46 am »

Unincorporated means that residents/owners of the property have never seen the need to develop a municipal government.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 02:15:02 pm »

I was reading some things about Free Grafton and that left me with a few questions as well. One thing was that they did not enforce building code. When they say "Grafton" in this context does it refer to the city of Grafton or Grafton county?

The town of Grafton has no zoning, and no building inspector.  Legally, you are still supposed to build according to code, but there's no enforcement, if you do not.

The other was that Grafton had one full time police officer, Merle. Again, is this for the city or the county?

Merle is the current chief of police, but he's retiring.  It's a four-way race, and will be decided in a matter of days, now.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 02:46:13 pm »

First, the legislature, when does it meet? How long does it stay in session? I see that its session began January 5th but I am not so sure how long they meet. How much time do they spend in session per day?

The full house sessions can be as short as a couple of hours or can be a full day, depending on what is on the calender.   At budget crunch-time, the session can go until midnight and beyond (by stopping the clock).

Someone representing Coos county would seem to have an awfully long drive to the capital each day for business.

The full sessions generally meet only one day per week.  Additional duties may be as light as an extra day every other week up to five additional days per week.  Representatives with a long drive will sometimes opt to stay overnight in Concord rather than make the commute.

Welcome to the forum.

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:47:32 pm »

Welcome walrus von zeppelin!

If you post a link to the NH hunting discussion thread, some of us may be able to balance the discussion by adding a pro-liberty viewpoint.
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

walrus von zeppelin

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 03:36:16 pm »

Thank you for all the responses! I think all of my questions have been answered sufficiently. Planning to make the move within 2 years.

For the person who asked for a link to that thread: http://www.huntingchat.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32916

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:06:58 pm »

Thank you for all the responses! I think all of my questions have been answered sufficiently. Planning to make the move within 2 years.

Consider spreading the word for the next two years while you are out of state.

big outreach here:
www.freestateproject.org/whoisjohngalt

in april
Pages: [1]   Go Up