Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about house building..?  (Read 2895 times)

seaking333

question about house building..?
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:51:11 pm »

Hi, i'm new here...

for a long, long time i have been dreaming about finding somewhere on this planet that i could get a little bit of land, build my own house on it, and live in that house without interference from some government or other..!

so, i was just wondering if anyone knows wether, in this free-state project, one is allowed to build one's own house? - and can you just live there and grow your own food and not be troubled by meddling 'officials'?!!

x

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: question about house building..?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:53:13 pm »

Hi, i'm new here...

for a long, long time i have been dreaming about finding somewhere on this planet that i could get a little bit of land, build my own house on it, and live in that house without interference from some government or other..!

so, i was just wondering if anyone knows wether, in this free-state project, one is allowed to build one's own house? - and can you just live there and grow your own food and not be troubled by meddling 'officials'?!!

x

there are places in NH without building codes (grafton for one).... but eventually I think that some town official will eventually ask you to pay taxes on that house.

welcome to the forum.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 05:24:58 pm »

the great news is
inside this freestate project .... almost everyone would let you build a house and live as you please while you don't hurt other people
the current thugs that run the government in NH .... not quite that nice
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:23:06 pm »

Unfortunately there is plenty of GOV meddling, but less so than a lot of places.  In a lot of places in NH as long as you pay your taxes they will leave you alone besides.  So for the most part you can get what you want.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:26:14 pm »

There's nowhere in NH that you aren't allowed to build your own house, and it's legal, even.

There are state building codes that you are supposed to follow.  Most towns have inspectors to verify that you did.  A small number (Grafton has been mentioned) don't inspect, so there's really no way for them to enforce the code.

There are some regulations regarding septic systems and wells that the State tends to enforce.  You can still install them, yourself, but the State tends to want to check up on you to make sure you're following their rules.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:01:37 pm »

There are lots in NH on which you cannot build "legally."  Examples would be where the lots are mostly wetlands or don't have enough frontage, or where the soil (per perc tests) won't allow for a septic system.

If you see 5 acres for $15K in the southern half of the state, it's probably unbuildable. 

Porcupine Realtor
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

Bazil

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:15:51 pm »

There are lots in NH on which you cannot build "legally."  Examples would be where the lots are mostly wetlands or don't have enough frontage, or where the soil (per perc tests) won't allow for a septic system.

If you see 5 acres for $15K in the southern half of the state, it's probably unbuildable. 

Porcupine Realtor

Yep I shopped for a house for three years before I finally bought one late last year and I came across a lot of unbuildable properties.  Many towns have set backs that are either too large or have minimum acreage.  I live in southern NH and most of the towns with lower populations that I looked at have a 3 acre minimum.  Almost bought a house on two acres in such a town (built before the three acre rule went into effect).  If I had done so I would have been unable to build anything beyond the current footprint of the house.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:19:22 pm »

Yep I shopped for a house for three years before I finally bought one late last year and I came across a lot of unbuildable properties.  Many towns have set backs that are either too large or have minimum acreage.  I live in southern NH and most of the towns with lower populations that I looked at have a 3 acre minimum.  Almost bought a house on two acres in such a town (built before the three acre rule went into effect).  If I had done so I would have been unable to build anything beyond the current footprint of the house.

Depends upon the town.  If you're adding a utility building, not a dwelling unit, there may not be an issue with the minimum lot size.  Additions may or may not be allowed.

They balance their desire to run your life, with their desire to let you improve your property, so they can tax you more...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Bazil

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 07:34:12 pm »

Depends upon the town.  If you're adding a utility building, not a dwelling unit, there may not be an issue with the minimum lot size.  Additions may or may not be allowed.

They balance their desire to run your life, with their desire to let you improve your property, so they can tax you more...

Joe

The way the law was written in that town (Brookline)  you couldn't build an addition if it increased the footprint of the house if the lot was below the minimum size.  Not sure about non-livable out buildings though.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 08:19:29 pm »

Yeah, but you can often get a variance, given that they want to tax you more.

Depends upon the town, and their mood when you ask.

I prefer to live someplace I don't have to ask :)

Joe

Pages: [1]   Go Up