Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bias in state advocacy and in research and dealing with opposition.  (Read 9548 times)

Jacobus

Re:Bias in state advocacy and in research and dealing with opposition.
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2003, 09:25:53 pm »

I suppose you could consider something like discussing political philosophy as political activism, but the point is that it (and the other activities I listed) exist independently of the political process, i.e. running for office, promoting individuals who are running for office, voting, or lobbying politicians about legislation.

Zxcv

Re:Bias in state advocacy and in research and dealing with opposition.
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2003, 02:55:06 pm »

Interesting mix of responses to my comment that Wyoming is not a politics-saturated state. Some completely off the wall...   :)

Just because people don't spend their lives in politics, does not mean they are apathetic. Maybe it means they are not statists!

I think it can go either way, really. Nevada certainly has gone in a bad direction.

On the other hand, if we are the only political activists in the state, that is a good thing for us. It means opposition to the freedoms we want to increase, will be muted from the political/bureaucrat class. Things will go even better if our program is in line with the general culture, which it certainly is (self-reliance, mind your own business, personal relationships rather than group relationships, etc.). This is unlike the case in Nevada, where the political class is going in opposition to at least the natives, if not the newcomers.

Attempting to get somewhat back to Joe's original point, here are two scenarios having to do with letters to the editor:

1) In NH, the newspapers more statist and more influential. They pick and choose which letters get printed. The statist letter writers (typically people at the trough, teachers and bureaucrats) get a lot of print in the letters column. We have a hard time getting responses in.

2) In WY, there is only one statewide paper. It is not statist by normal measures, and prints every letter it gets that is not slander, etc. There are few politically active bureaucrats and teachers to fill the letters columns. A few FSP activists can completely dominate the letters columns. BTW, I also have a copy of these local papers from my trip to Wyoming: Fremont County Ranger, Laramie Boomerang, Lander Journal and Lusk Herald. All had letters/opinion pages. None had a letter. A couple had op-eds with a picture of the writer, probably not employees of the paper, but local citizens with a story to tell. Seems to me a corps of 50 well-written activists could essentially cover the entire state, with little opposition opinion, in the newspapers.

To me, it seems the more desireable situation, is the one we find in Wyoming.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up