Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lots of hot, pro-liberty bills in NH legislature  (Read 16456 times)

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
Re: Lots of hot, pro-liberty bills in NH legislature
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 02:48:21 pm »

Bazil...
You think your mommy and daddy should have jurisdiction over your health, education, and welfare?

Not after I move out, but while I still live with them yes.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 03:11:05 pm »

A constitutional amendment would make it a permanent relationship.
Nowhere in the wording does it state 'while living under their roof'.
They would have that power until such time as they were 'deceased'.

Now HB590... if taken to strict interpretation without protected privilege... that would have a major effect.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:13:53 pm by John Edward Mercier »

Bazil

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 03:43:01 pm »

Now HB590... if taken to strict interpretation without protected privilege... that would have a major effect.

Well I haven't read the bill carefully, just skimmed over it.  If that is the case it needs to be amended
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Bazil

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 03:46:44 pm »

http://www.nhliberty.org/bills/view/2011/HB569 - separation of Marriage & State

I went over this and pretty much doesn't do anything except replace marriage with "domestic union"  throughout the law.  So it functionally does very little.  However one thing I did notice is that it removes the restrictions on marrying under aged persons if you are a religious organization, the rules are still in place for the government.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »

Well I haven't read the bill carefully, just skimmed over it.  If that is the case it needs to be amended
Its states exactly what was posted. People keep thinking that the Legislature can make a statute over riding the constitution for the age of majority. But the statute would be considered contrary to the constitutional article.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 06:07:01 pm »

I went over this and pretty much doesn't do anything except replace marriage with "domestic union"  throughout the law.  So it functionally does very little.  However one thing I did notice is that it removes the restrictions on marrying under aged persons if you are a religious organization, the rules are still in place for the government.
Marriage would become a cultural institution... so a marriage performed in NH would have no legal standing.

Bazil

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 06:51:11 pm »

Marriage would become a cultural institution... so a marriage performed in NH would have no legal standing.

Yeah, but functionally it just turns "domestic union" into the same thing as marriage.  So if the bill passes I would be in a domestic union with my wife, which functionally is no different than the current definition of marriage.  It's like renaming "cats" to "qats" and then saying cats no longer exist.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 07:12:48 pm »

Correct. Its basically getting rid of the religious connotations associated with the term 'marriage'.
Which is the largest arguement against same-sex marriage. It doesn't solve the poly issue... but its a step.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 06:18:03 am »

/bump lots of bills got voted on yesterday in the House, lots more getting voted on today. Things are going well for us :)

creaganlios

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 06:55:45 am »

Correct. Its basically getting rid of the religious connotations associated with the term 'marriage'.
Which is the largest arguement against same-sex marriage. It doesn't solve the poly issue... but its a step.

Wrong - not a positive step.   It endangers spousal benefits for individuals working in Mass (one in 5 granite staters), whiose supreme court has ruled that nothing short of something called 'marriage' IS a marriage.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 09:47:51 am »

to receive updates.
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

Bazil

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 02:56:42 pm »

Wrong - not a positive step.   It endangers spousal benefits for individuals working in Mass (one in 5 granite staters), whiose supreme court has ruled that nothing short of something called 'marriage' IS a marriage.

If you're worried about that marry in a different state.  I got married in Maine.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 06:27:43 pm »

Only for those bound in NH after the bill becomes enacted. Leading is always a hard thing to do.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »

Some good stuff on that list. I wish the FSPers in the house good luck. 

I wish all the pro-liberty reps good luck.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

swamp_yankee

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 06:01:32 pm »

Some good stuff on that list. I wish the FSPers in the house good luck. 

I wish all the pro-liberty reps good luck.

Isn't it funny that all these gains are being made when the GOP gained huge supermajorities in both houses. Its not a coincidence.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up