Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Housing Issues  (Read 7376 times)

Godmachine

• U-Man
Housing Issues
« on: July 04, 2003, 03:59:31 am »

Alright, I'm new, and not sure where this should go or if anyone has discussed this topic yet. Being young (19), I would say that is rather difficult for for some of the younger member to pick up and move, even within the suggested timelimit. Perhaps before the "big move" is planned, we could have a roommate or temporary housing plan thought up. This is only one of my few concerns.
"Ask not what you can do for your country; Ask what your country did to you"

Aaron

• FSP Participant
Re:Housing Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 10:31:29 am »

Welcome to the forum, and happy Independence Day.  There have been several posts elsewhere expressing interest in starting not only a roommate or housing referral service, but also a job referral service aimed at porcupines.  The general consensus seems to be that nothing more than a vague discussion will take place until we have actually chosen what state to move to.  At that point, a number of porcupines have already expessed interest in moving right away instead of waiting for 20,000 members to sign up.  It will be up to these early movers to develop some of these ideas.

BTW, your post puzzles me.  The only detail you provide about your personal life is that you are 19.  What other factors make it difficult for you to move?  At age 34, I have a 5 year old daughter and a wife to consider when contemplating relocating.  At age 19, all I had to do to move was pack a bag and stick out my thumb (which I did at age 22).  Can you be more specific as to what is holding you back?  Maybe some of the old timers here can help you with suggestions to overcome your obstacles.

I am interested in hearing about your other concerns as well.  Perhaps the PROSPECTIVE MEMBERS section would be a good place for these.

P.S.  I have just read the other post you have made to this forum on the 101 reasons thread.  I would like you to encourage you to reread the article with a more critical eye.  It is a one sided piece.  Take note when reading the items how often it makes a claim about NH without comparing the same factor to the other states.  Also, please look beyond the "feel good" aspects of NH history.  What happened in 1774 is not much relevant today in my opinion.  Besides, if you compare that to Wyoming, the residents of WY in 1774 lived in a truly free society with ZERO interference from ANY government.

I am not saying that there are not good reasons to choose NH.  It is after all my second choice at the moment.  My point is that I hope you make your choice by objectively looking at what all ten states have to offer, and not just basing it on an advertising piece created by the NH supporters.

Adam Selene

• FSP Participant
  • I already shrugged. Where the hell are you?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 10:01:47 pm »

I'm sure there are at least a few Universities in whichever state ultimately gets selected. Finding shared housing near a University should be extremely easy. The first place to check would be the campus newpapers and bulletin boards at the student union building.

Being near a University will also provide you the social atmosphere and amenities a 19-year-old would expect, and would be a great place to engage in FSP activism. Not to mention you may decide to continue your studies.

Adam Selene

• FSP Participant
  • I already shrugged. Where the hell are you?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 04:28:41 pm »

Check this thread for major University towns you may wish to look for housing.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=2312;start=0

In fact you can probably Google and find online housing classifieds from the campus newspapers, etc.

rodschmidt

Underground House / Apartments
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 02:08:46 am »

I think I want to buy a plot of land and make an underground house.

Maybe an underground apartment complex.  I dunno.

Mike Lorrey

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free and Never Die
    • The International Libertarian
Re:Underground House / Apartments
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 02:58:28 am »

I think I want to buy a plot of land and make an underground house.

Maybe an underground apartment complex.  I dunno.

Those interested in checking out the real estate market can contact my brother, David Lorrey, who is  REMAX real estate agent in Plymouth, NH. His office number is 603-536-7750. He's sympathetic to a lot of libertarian positions and wants your business.
The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time

Summerlin

• Student.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 07:03:17 am »

I'm also a College student, but a bit older than the original poster.  Plymouth State looks very nice...  Unfortunately I'm on the West Coast and visiting is unaffordable to me.

The only way I would move to New Hampshire is if I could find rent for $200-$300 a month including utilities very close to a College.  I know for a fact I can find this in Idaho, but New Hampshire seems more pricey.

Mabye we can get a group of 4-5 people to rent a house in the near future?  (I'm thinking about moving around January).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 07:08:11 am by Summerlin »

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 07:22:07 am »

Mabye we can get a group of 4-5 people to rent a house in the near future).

In Mike's thread Moving now ensures we reach 20,000
I suggested the creation of a banking / credit cooperative to lower the cost barriers to creating our infrastructure such as housing. Perhaps there are qualified professionals here that can organise such an enterprise. I could easily afford $100 a month over the next year (and beyond) easily if a clear business model is created.

Summerlin

• Student.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 08:08:30 am »

Mabye we can get a group of 4-5 people to rent a house in the near future).

In Mike's thread Moving now ensures we reach 20,000
I suggested the creation of a banking / credit cooperative to lower the cost barriers to creating our infrastructure such as housing. Perhaps there are qualified professionals here that can organise such an enterprise. I could easily afford $100 a month over the next year (and beyond) easily if a clear business model is created.

What do you mean by $100 a month?  Your goal is to pay $100 a month for rent + utils?

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 08:11:41 am »

Being young (19), I would say that is rather difficult for for some of the younger member to pick up and move
I was 22, with only a high school degree, when I picked up my bags and moved by my lone self from a relatively small town in Holland to Los Angeles.

Now that I am 28, married, with two dogs and two cats, it's a heck of a lot harder to pick up my bags and move. Not that that's gonna matter, as New Hampshire IS my new home.
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.

mark

• FSP Participant
  • A mute, inglorious Milton
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 09:20:37 am »

What do you mean by $100 a month?  Your goal is to pay $100 a month for rent + utils?

nope, I meant the $100/month to be used as seed capital for a housing, organizing etc cooperative.

Terry 1956

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2003, 01:50:07 pm »

nope, I meant the $100/month to be used as seed capital for a housing, organizing etc cooperative.

I'm not moving and I would be interesting in becoming a friend of the free state project and kicking in 25 dollars a month for a Free state co-op bank or credit union if the prospectus is up to par.
Pages: [1]   Go Up