Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alaska: meme vs. reality  (Read 3934 times)

telomerase

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free Or Die
Alaska: meme vs. reality
« on: July 13, 2003, 09:33:12 pm »

In most people's minds, Alaska is covered with snow year-round (except in the TV show Northern Exposure, where Alaska is in California and no one ever wears a coat). The truth is that southern Alaska is not even as nasty as Seattle, and I've heard that people have managed to make a little money in Seattle. I think we should make use of Alaska's terrible image to our advantage.

Besides, I live near Dallas now. Alaska isn't 100 degrees three months a year and there's no fire ants; there simply isn't any comparison. Buy a parka and some boots, end of problem. (Try pricing an air-conditioned, fire-ant proof suit!)

cbisquit

• FSP Participant
  • economics is freedom
Re:Alaska: meme vs. reality
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 12:23:15 pm »

I agree. Why is it that Alaska is the one state that even the most freedom-minded members refuse to believe we can make the project work in? We obviously have a group of expert PR people and it seems like Alaska is pretty ideal when all is said and done, and I'm not even a secessionist. :)
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it.
John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Zack Bass

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 01:17:21 pm »

I agree. Why is it that Alaska is the one state that even the most freedom-minded members refuse to believe we can make the project work in? We obviously have a group of expert PR people and it seems like Alaska is pretty ideal when all is said and done, and I'm not even a secessionist. :)

The West Coast of Alaska extends about halfway down Canada.  And if the Japan Current is anything like the Gulf Stream (as I have read it is), then it ought to warm up that part of Alaska just like the Gulf Stream warms up Western Europe.  I understand British Columbia isn't bad at all, and how far is it from the southwestern part of the Alaskan coast?

I don't know the details, but it's worth telling people about, if it works the way I think it does.

telomerase

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free Or Die
Web site on Alaska climate
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 05:48:40 pm »

Alaska has lots of different climate regions, and some of them are pretty nice. Alaska isn't covered in ragweed or cedar like Texas; in fact much of Alaska is pretty good if you have the common allergies.

People take cruises to parts of Alaska. Nobody cruises to Dallas or the Texas Panhandle unless they're paid.

Anyway, here's the figures:
http://www.alaska.com/akcom/southcentral/real_ak/story/1216147p-785359c.html

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 01:05:27 pm »

From the website of "Juneau's only full service real estate company" Ricker & Associates :

" Juneau has one of the tightest real estate markets in the country, which makes it even more important for you to have an agent working for you... "

Looks like a move to the southern pan-handle coast of Alaska is going to take some creative entrepreneurs to help accommodate all those who will want to live there.  I'd be willing to try it, the climate and scenery look absolutely wonderful.   Up further north in Fairbanks, it is very cold, but I also read that the weather is not nearly so bad as in North Dakota's wind-swept plains.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 01:07:22 pm by exitus... »
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

cbisquit

• FSP Participant
  • economics is freedom
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 03:23:35 pm »

Up further north in Fairbanks, it is very cold, but I also read that the weather is not nearly so bad as in North Dakota's wind-swept plains.

If that's the case why would anyone rank the flyovers ahead of AK? Seems like it has Montana, Nort, and South Dakota beat hands down.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it.
John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 03:35:24 pm »

Up further north in Fairbanks, it is very cold, but I also read that the weather is not nearly so bad as in North Dakota's wind-swept plains.

If that's the case why would anyone rank the flyovers ahead of AK? Seems like it has Montana, Nort, and South Dakota beat hands down.

Well, Fairbanks is damn cold.  I don't know if it has Minot beat, but the average January low there is -17.  Now, Anchorage and Juneau are much warmer than Fargo and Bismarck in winter.  Anchorage has winters about like Burlington, VT, and Juneau has winters about like Dover, DE.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 03:38:20 pm »

Well, Fairbanks is damn cold.  I don't know if it has Minot beat, but the average January low there is -17.  Now, Anchorage and Juneau are much warmer than Fargo and Bismarck in winter.  Anchorage has winters about like Burlington, VT, and Juneau has winters about like Dover, DE.
Double-checking my facts, no it looks like Fairbanks has all other cities beat for being "too cold", it is Anchorage that sometimes beats certain northern "fly-over" states.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 03:40:48 pm by exitus... »
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2003, 03:48:24 pm »

Selected cities with Alaskan cities in bold

From the Wyoming Climate Report #3,
http://www.freestateproject.com/climate3.htm#wintertemp

City  State  Avg Jan Temp (F)  
Dover  DE  33.7  
Ketchikan  AK  33.3  
Wilmington  DE  30.4  
Sandpoint  ID  26.7  
Juneau  AK  26.5  
Cheyenne  WY  26.4  
Carpenter  WY  26.2  
Centennial  WY  22.3  
Valdez  AK  21.9  
Bangor  ME  17.5  
Saint Johnsbury  VT  17.3  
Dillingham  AK  17.2  
Lebanon  NH  16.9  
Pierre  SD  16.8  
Miles City  MT  16.0  
Anchorage  AK  15.8  
Jackson  WY  15.3  
Berlin  NH  14.6  
Minot  ND  7.5  
Nome  AK  7.0  
Fargo  ND  5.8  
Grand Forks  ND  4.6  
Fairbanks  AK  -10.0  
Nenana  AK  -10.6  
North Pole  AK  -13.1  
Barrow  AK  -13.3  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 03:48:51 pm by FreedomRoad »

HOG RIDER

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 07:13:44 pm »

I have to admit that I originally opted out of Alaska! Now I am opting back in and moving Alaska way up on my list!
If I can't afford a place to live in the warmer areas, I'll store my Harley in the colder months, and buy a snowmobile to spread our message of Freedom!
Looking at the US, Canada map, the "FREE Country...I mean, Free State of Alaska" looks right to me. ::)

Why not Alaska?

Adam Selene

• FSP Participant
  • I already shrugged. Where the hell are you?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 09:46:29 pm »

In most people's minds, Alaska is covered with snow year-round (except in the TV show Northern Exposure, where Alaska is in California and no one ever wears a coat).

Northern Exposure is filmed in Roslyn, Washington.

Indeed the climate of southern Alaska is worth more exposure.

As for Seattle "software-money", tech companies locate where there is talent pool. A particular down-side for Alaska AFAIK (although it's a down-side here in Costa Rica too). You could try to start the second great Seattle-Alaska migration trek (Seattle was once a stopping hub for those heading to the Alaksa gold rush).
Pages: [1]   Go Up