Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A 2 state comparison  (Read 5667 times)

freedomroad

Re:A 2 state comparison
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 02:21:06 pm »

You guys are telling us the following is NOT part time?
You guys are saying that less than two months in not part time?
What do these legislators do for the other 10+ months?
Wyoming legislators get $125 legislative day + $80 travel voucher per day, for up to a 60 work day session.
Of course, sessions probably rarely last the full 60 days, and not everyone uses the full value of their $80 vouchers, so the actual number is likely a bit lower.
See this thread
Given the costs, who would want an elected office?

As to the claims from New Hampshire.
Yes, please do do some research.
http://www.freestateproject.org/statelegs.htm

Over one quarter of the NH house (104 of 400) is apparently composed of government employees or lawyers or those who work for lawyers.

Joe, from what I understand, the session includes 38-40 days for 1 year, and 20 days for the other year.  That is not bad.  I do not want my state reps working more than 29-30 (on average) days a year, anyway.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2003, 02:21:25 pm »

The founder of the FSP has set one goal in mind and that is to get 20,000 FSP members to a single state to make a difference. How does he rank these 2 states? Wyoming 2, NH 6.  NH is not even close to the top.

To clarify, that was my ranking several months ago, before I did some research on 1 extremely important variable.  My ranking has now changed drastically.  Many will be surprised at my final vote.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Karl

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2003, 02:43:29 pm »

You guys are telling us the following is NOT part time?
You guys are saying that less than two months in not part time?
What do these legislators do for the other 10+ months?

No, where did you get that idea?  The legislatures in WY are part time, but they get payed a lot more than in NH.  I was replying to someone who initially thought that NH legislators were payed more than WY legislators.

Yes, please do do some research.
http://www.freestateproject.org/statelegs.htm

Over one quarter of the NH house (104 of 400) is apparently composed of government employees or lawyers or those who work for lawyers.

So what?  Are we to believe that Wyoming legislators are all housewives and auto mechanics?  Your legislature report shows only the day jobs of NH legislators.  Why did you leave out the jobs of Wyoming legislators?  Maybe you should complete your research before you use it to draw unfounded conclusions.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 02:44:36 pm by Karl »

Joe

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2003, 03:44:04 pm »

Karl,

You are implying that I purposely left out the occupation info for Wyoming. Note that I did not find or include it for several other states too. I did what I could in the reasonable time available.

I've explained the occupation data several times before on several threads and on the web page.
I included occupation info when it was readily available.
For those states that it was not, it would take digging out the bio for each legislator from whatever source I could find.
DO YOU WANT TO HELP????

If you are so sure that Wyoming is so bad  PROVE IT!!!
Go dig out the info!

Karl

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2003, 04:07:20 pm »

Joe,

You've posted twice now the fact that a quarter of NH legislators are government employees and attorneys.  Yet, without any way to contrast that with other states, that fact doesn't mean a thing.  You proceded to use that fact to make a point against New Hampshire, without all the data.  So I called foul.

In any case, I'll see what I can find out about the professions of legislators in other states.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 04:08:42 pm by Karl »

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2003, 08:00:55 pm »

Only thing the NH supporters can prove is that they know how to sell a lemon. Using similar tactics used by the Clinton campaign.

patriot32

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2003, 11:24:22 pm »

Jason,
If you don't mind my asking, how do you rank the states now? Or, if you don't feel like you can answer that, what is the 1 extremely important criteria that you are using? I'm trying my best to make a good decision and would appreciate your input. Thanks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up