Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A 2 state comparison  (Read 5661 times)

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
A 2 state comparison
« on: July 03, 2003, 11:44:16 am »

State in-migration:
NH:          7,000+ a year based on last 8 years.
Wyoming: 567 total in a 2+ year period.

Advantage Wyoming, less statists to counteract.

Smallest districts:

State House
NH:           14,489
Wyoming: 8,317

State Senate
NH:           53,000
Wyoming: 16,500

US Senate and House
NH:           1,275,000
Wyoming:   499,000    

Advantage Wyoming

Cost of Living

Average Wage
NH:           $16.50
Wyoming: $14.70

Factor in Housing and other living costs. Wyoming worker actually makes $3-$8 per hour more.

Advantage: Wyoming

Proximity to rest of United States

LP Major Party Status

LP State, US Congress, or Governors

NH:           0
Wyoming: 0

Advantage: Draw

There are many other factors to consider. These just seem to be the most recent discussed.

If someone who was completely unbiased as to what state to choose, was asked to look over the mounds of data that has been provided in the last year or so, what way would they vote?

Wyoming

I will edit out this last part if he wants me to.

The founder of the FSP has set one goal in mind and that is to get 20,000 FSP members to a single state to make a difference. How does he rank these 2 states? Wyoming 2, NH 6.  NH is not even close to the top.

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
Re:A 2 state comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 12:05:18 pm »

I just wish these kind of comparisons could be less biased. You'll make a much stronger argument if you put in some "Okay, I'll grant that New Hampshire has <this> and <that> advantage over Wyoming."

For example,
State in-migration:
could be read as:
NH:         lot of people like this state
WY:        not so many people like this state
It all depends on the type of people that have moved in to NH. If liberty-minded people migrated to NH, then the 7,000 is actually a plus.

Wyoming has a lot going for it, but so has New Hampshire, and so have a lot of the other states.
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 12:12:22 pm »

I just wish these kind of comparisons could be less biased. You'll make a much stronger argument if you put in some "Okay, I'll grant that New Hampshire has <this> and <that> advantage over Wyoming."

For example,
State in-migration:
could be read as:
NH:         lot of people like this state
WY:        not so many people like this state
It all depends on the type of people that have moved in to NH. If liberty-minded people migrated to NH, then the 7,000 is actually a plus.

Wyoming has a lot going for it, but so has New Hampshire, and so have a lot of the other states.
You could ask that same question in the thousand NH posts to but of course you do not. Now who is biased?

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 12:25:45 pm »

You could ask that same question in the thousand NH posts to but of course you do not. Now who is biased?
I've only just started posting here. You'll find that I'm not very biased and can keep an open mind. Bang me on the head a few times if you think otherwise :)

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 12:34:42 pm »

I've only just started posting here. You'll find that I'm not very biased and can keep an open mind. Bang me on the head a few times if you think otherwise :)

Sebastian,

Yes, you do seem unbiased.

Those of us who have come to the conclusion that NH is the state the FSP should choose welcome your thoughtful questions. We hope that when all is said and done you will share our view that New Hampshire, while not perfect, offers the FSP its greatest chance of attaining “LIBERTY IN OUR LIFETIME.”
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 12:38:19 pm »

Someone asked for a 101 reasons for Wyoming, so I provided a few by comparing them to NH. Just based on the recently discussed topics. It seems to me that Wyoming out performs NH in almost every important aspect to the FSP, but suffers from bad salesmanship. I personally think that the FSP membership will be able to find the needle(Wyoming) in the pile of BS hay(NH) and make the correct judgement.

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 12:46:38 pm »

It seems to me that Wyoming out performs NH in almost every important aspect to the FSP, but suffers from bad salesmanship. I personally think that the FSP membership will be able to find the needle(Wyoming) in the pile of BS hay(NH) and make the correct judgement.  

It’s easy selling a GREAT product like New Hampshire!  ;)

New Hampshire will make a great place for the FSP to help down size government. ;D
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 12:55:01 pm »

Does NH allow you to eliminate State Legislature positions? If we were to move there I would either like to eliminate 100 positions or to at least make them part time jobs like in Wyoming.

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 12:57:00 pm »

Does NH allow you to eliminate State Legislature positions?
Don't those only cost tax-payers $100 per position per year?
(I think I read something like that)

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 01:00:08 pm »

I think I read that Wyoming was somthing like a $100 a day for a few weeks a year and NH was full time. Not sure if that is correct.

Karl

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 01:01:08 pm »

Does NH allow you to eliminate State Legislature positions? If we were to move there I would either like to eliminate 100 positions or to at least make them part time jobs like in Wyoming.

Do your research, Zion.  NH legislatures ARE part time.  They make only $100 a year.  Wyoming legislatures make $3700 a year.  Also, the more legistlative positions, the more likely we can get our people into office.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 01:01:41 pm by Karl »

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 01:03:19 pm »

Yes, NH reps are paid $100 a year.  The Senate President and the House Speaker are paid $125 a year.

They already are part-time jobs.  Many of them are retired, although they still list their old professions in the directory.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 10:54:12 am by Keith Murphy »
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, &quot;See?  If not for the government you couldn&#039;t walk.&quot;

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 01:19:18 pm »

Do your research, Zion.  NH legislatures ARE part time.  They make only $100 a year.  Wyoming legislatures make $3700 a year.  Also, the more legistlative positions, the more likely we can get our people into office.
I would love to know where you got the info so I can do my own research.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 01:20:38 pm by ZionCurtain »

Karl

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 01:54:20 pm »

I initially gathered it from another post, but here's a complete source:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/legman/03Table-legcomp.htm

So I was wrong.  The actual compensation is much higher -- up to $12,300/year.

How do I arrive at that number?

Wyoming legislators get $125 legislative day + $80 travel voucher per day, for up to a 60 work day session.

Of course, sessions probably rarely last the full 60 days, and not everyone uses the full value of their $80 vouchers, so the actual number is likely a bit lower.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2003, 02:03:18 pm »

I initially gathered it from another post, but here's a complete source:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/legman/03Table-legcomp.htm

So I was wrong.  The actual compensation is much higher -- up to $12,300/year.

How do I arrive at that number?

Wyoming legislators get $125 legislative day + $80 travel voucher per day, for up to a 60 work day session.

Of course, sessions probably rarely last the full 60 days, and not everyone uses the full value of their $80 vouchers, so the actual number is likely a bit lower.
What is the breakdown of the NH annual budget? Would be interested in what they spend there huge budget on.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything