Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UK resident, possibly going to porcfest 11, maybe even moving  (Read 3837 times)

andysurtees

UK resident, possibly going to porcfest 11, maybe even moving
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:46:32 pm »

I only became aware of the FSP in 2010, although I've considered myself a Libertarian since my formative years, which is pretty unusual in the almost entirely totalitarian united kingdom.
Although I'm entirely on board with the principles of liberty, it's going to take quite an effort for me to move. Nonetheless, I've signed up on the FSP to move by 2014, and I intend to stick with that. I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to make the most of my abilities in NH (probably Manchester or Keene).
As it stands I run a number of small internet businesses which are easily transferrable, but i still make over 60% of my income working in london for a big company, basically as a techy. I'm hoping that by 2014 the internet businesses alone will be enough to support me; in fact that's why i've set the move date so far ahead.
I think I'm going to dip my toes into the water at Porcfest this year, so hopefully i'll see a lot of forum members there. I'd really love to move to NH, as it seems to be a much freer place than most of the uk.
Any comments on visas etc, are welcome.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:08:49 am by andysurtees »

BigJoe

Re: UK resident, possibly going to porcfest 11, maybe even moving
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:02:20 am »

there is a subforum under this forum for international participants.  I would suggest reading a bunch of those threads to learn from those that came before.  I really enjoyed my trip to London a few years ago.  I'm a big fan of Liverpool FC, but whenever I bring up politics on the off topic sections of fan forums I am amazed at how statist everybody is.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:17:39 am »

Andy.. come to Porcfest... (although it may make you want to stay here now)

and the chicks will love your accent. (or is it us that have the accent?)

Make sure you introduce yourself to people when you get to Pfest and I am sure that we can make sure you meet lots of people.

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 11:02:48 am »

Welcome!
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

andysurtees

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:10:39 am »

Thanks guys, I'll check out the international section.

I'm highly likely to be at porcfest this year although i might be making the trip alone - you have to go a long way to find another libertarian in northeast england, and even further to find one with the price of a plane ticket to hand.

As for the accent - I've heard it said that all british accents are appealing to a certain section of american women, but i don't think everyone that's said that has heard a teesside accent - I've been in london a while, but you wouldn't know it from my voice. If Hugh Grant sounds like a mile of velvet being drawn through buckingham palace, i sound more like a bucket of spanners falling down a fire escape. At best I'm understandable, probably not that sexy.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:04:25 am »

I'm highly likely to be at porcfest this year although i might be making the trip alone - you have to go a long way to find another libertarian in northeast england, and even further to find one with the price of a plane ticket to hand.

As for the accent - I've heard it said that all british accents are appealing to a certain section of american women, but i don't think everyone that's said that has heard a teesside accent - I've been in london a while, but you wouldn't know it from my voice. If Hugh Grant sounds like a mile of velvet being drawn through buckingham palace, i sound more like a bucket of spanners falling down a fire escape. At best I'm understandable, probably not that sexy.

great visual!

(and for you Yanks... spanner = wrench)

BigJoe

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:02:54 am »

Look on the brightside, your not from Glasgow or Cork  ;D

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:24:36 am »

Wife and I heading from London (depending on visa crap), shall try my hardest not to assume you want to stab & rob me based purely on your accent :)

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 11:00:43 pm »

Sounds like we need a UK Convoy to PorcFest group! :P
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »

Sounds like we need a UK Convoy to PorcFest group! :P

Presumably you jest, but there is a mother & son duo that has visited Porcfest from Scotland for several years.  :)

andysurtees

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 01:32:17 am »

I got a reply from dalebert! I'm practically a celebrity. (big fan of FTL).
Anyway, I'd be hugely interested in meeting free staters in the british isles (i've stopped calling it the UK as i don't really recognise the legitimacy of either the monarchy or the act of union, so neither the U nor the K make any sense). Anyone who'd like to connect for that purpose can find me by my name, i'm really called andy surtees, so facebook or suchlike should be good, mention the FSP in your invitation and i'll add you.
To clarify earlier posts, i live in the northeast of england (darlington) but work both from home and in west london, for a company that either wouldn't exist or would be much smaller without government intervention. Hopefully i can transition to making a living for myself independently in time to move to NH in the next few years.
As for Porcfest 11, it'd be great to be in a "convoy" from, say, heathrow onwards. My accent is a lot softer than it used to be, having lived in a lot of different parts of the world, so it probably no longer constitutes the initiation of the use of violence :)

BigJoe

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 12:07:01 am »

Anyway, I'd be hugely interested in meeting free staters in the british isles (i've stopped calling it the UK as i don't really recognise the legitimacy of either the monarchy or the act of union, so neither the U nor the K make any sense). Anyone who'd like to connect for that purpose can find me by my name, i'm really called andy surtees, so facebook or suchlike should be good, mention the FSP in your invitation and i'll add you.
To clarify earlier posts, i live in the northeast of england (darlington) but work both from home and in west london, for a company that either wouldn't exist or would be much smaller without government intervention. Hopefully i can transition to making a living for myself independently in time to move to NH in the next few years.
As for Porcfest 11, it'd be great to be in a "convoy" from, say, heathrow onwards. My accent is a lot softer than it used to be, having lived in a lot of different parts of the world, so it probably no longer constitutes the initiation of the use of violence :)

I have heard that the Irish don't care much for "British Isles"  but I also much prefer using geographic terms when possible as opposed to political.  I have heard "North Atlantic Archipelago" as a possible alternative for those islands.

libertango

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:40 am »

Maybe if you move to NH you can convince Dalebert to give you an autograph :) 

-Libertango

andysurtees

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 11:49:45 pm »

I have heard that the Irish don't care much for "British Isles"  but I also much prefer using geographic terms when possible as opposed to political.  I have heard "North Atlantic Archipelago" as a possible alternative for those islands.

I wouldn't consider Eire british, geographically or politically.The whole issue of describing where you're from, around here, is a tricky subject anyway. North
atlantic could mean a number of small islands, and many scandinavians would consider that my place of birth was in the norwegian sea rather than the atlantic. I'm considering "english" instead - whatever your political views, the Angles used to live here. Probably better just to say that, if you've got a world map, i'm from the middle bit of the top bit of the middle bit. Roll on the day when i'm a person with an odd accent and that's about that :S
Pages: [1]   Go Up