Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confirmed Speakers at PorcFest 2011  (Read 11901 times)

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:47:52 pm by Sovereign Curtis »
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
Re: Confirmed Speakers at PorcFest 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:43:32 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Molyneux

Stefan Basil Molyneux (born 24 September 1966) is a Canadian philosopher, blogger, essayist, author, and host of the Freedomain Radio[3] series of podcasts, living in Mississauga, Canada. He has written numerous articles and smaller essays which have been published on libertarian websites such as LewRockwell.com, antiwar.com and Strike The Root,[4][5] recorded over 1800 podcasts, produced over 500 videos, and written numerous books which are all self-published except for his first, which was published by Publish America. In 2006 Stefan Molyneux quit his previous job in the field of computer software and works full-time on Freedomain Radio, a philosophical community website which is funded through donations.

Freedomain Radio

Format

Freedomain Radio is primarily an online podcast, however Molyneux also uses essays, videos, books, articles, interviews, and public speaking to deliver his content. The regular content of the show covers topics such as anarchism, ethics, Austrian economics, atheism, religion, education, family, and politics. Each Sunday Molyneux conducts a call-in show where listeners can talk with him about either a set topic of discussion, or their own. Freedomain Radio also has an online community message board for listeners to discuss Molyneux's content as well as related topics.

Books

Stefan Molyneux is the author of several non-fiction books. He has written On Truth: The Tyranny of Illusion, Universally Preferable Behaviour: A Rational Proof of Secular Ethics, Real-Time Relationships: The Logic of Love, Everyday Anarchy, Practical Anarchy, and How (Not) To Achieve Freedom. Molyneux has also written two fictional books, The God of Atheists and Revolutions.

Interviews

Stefan Molyneux has conducted interviews with people such as Nathaniel Branden,[6] Max Keiser,[7][8] Alex Jones,[9] Peter Schiff,[10] Stephan Kinsella,[11][12] Bill Gairdner,[13] Mary Ruwart,[14] Alison Gopnik,[15] Marc Faber,[16] David Lindorff,[17] Greg J. Siegle,[18] Stuart Shankar,[19] and several other figures in the fields of education, academia, psychology, politics, and economics.

Public Speaking

Stefan Molyneux was the closing speaker for the 2009 New Hampshire Liberty Forum on March 8.[20][21] The position was taken by Ron Paul in 2008 and John Stossel in 2007. Molyneux debated with 2004 US Presidential Candidate Michael Badnarik at Drexel University on July 5, 2009.[22][23] Molyneux was the opening speaker for PorcFest 2010 on June 24,[24][25] the annual liberty festival organized by the Free State Project. Molyneux spoke at the Students For Liberty Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference hosted at Drexel University on October 9, 2010.[26][27][28] Molyneux spoke at Libertopia[29][30] on October 14–15, 2010. Molyneux spoke at the Ontario Libertarian Party Annual Liberty Seminar at Toronto on November 6, 2010.[31][32] Molyneux was a speaker at the 2010 Freedom Summit in Phoenix, Arizona on December 5.[33]

Criticism

Stefan Molyneux and Freedomain Radio received media coverage in 2008 after newspapers published a story about parents of members who claimed that Freedomain Radio is a therapeutic cult.[34][35][36][37] Former members of Freedomain Radio, as well as friends and family of Freedomain Radio members, claimed that Molyneux manipulates people into thinking their family relationships are abusive. Molyneux answered that adult relations are voluntary, and that he simply reminds people of that.[38]
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:02:11 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_P._Murphy

Robert P. "Bob" Murphy (born 23 May 1976) is an Austrian School economist and free market-oriented author.

Education and personal life

Murphy completed his Bachelor of Arts in economics at Hillsdale College in 1998. He then moved back to his home state of New York to continue his studies at New York University. Murphy earned his Ph.D. in economics from NYU in 2003 after successfully defending a dissertation on Unanticipated Intertemporal Change in Theories of Interest.[1]

Murphy has one son, Joel Clark Murphy, and lives in Nashville, Tennessee. Murphy is a Christian, and has stated in his writings that "my ethical beliefs are informed by my Christian faith, and I am a firm believer in natural law."[2]

Career in Economics

After earning his doctoral degree, Murphy served as Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics at Hillsdale College in Michigan, U.S., a role he relinquished in the summer of 2006 when he moved back to New York City. From 2006 until early 2007, Murphy was employed as a research and portfolio analyst with Laffer Associates,[3][4] an economic and investment consultancy firm.[5]

Murphy is a senior fellow in business and economic studies at the Pacific Research Institute,[6] and is an adjunct scholar and frequent speaker at the Ludwig von Mises Institute. He writes a column for Townhall.com[7] and has also written for LewRockwell.com. He is an adjunct scholar at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy[8] and an economist for the Institute for Energy Research.[9] Murphy appeared before the United States House Committee on Financial Services on 24 July 2008 to discuss oil prices and the United States dollar.[10] His work has been cited by Walter Block,[11] with whom Murphy has also published.[12] Murphy is a frequent radio guest. He appeared on "Free Markets With Dr. Mike Beitler" on the Voice America Business network on October 30, 2008, and has also been featured as a guest on The Political Cesspool.[13]

In 2010, Murphy wrote Lessons for the Young Economist, an introductory textbook aimed at younger students. "The idea is that newcomers to economics — whether young people or even adults who have never read deeply in the Austrian tradition — should read this book first and then move on to the works of Hazlitt and Rothbard." [14]

Bibliography

Books

* Chaos Theory (2002) - A short, self-published work composed of two essays on market anarchy; one discussing the production of defense services, and one describing the provision of private criminal and civil justice.

* The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism (April 2007) - A volume in the best-selling "Politically Incorrect Guide" series published by Regnery Publishing.

* The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal (April 2009)

* Lessons for the Young Economist (2010)

Murphy has also designed a home study course in Austrian economics (2005), and has written a study guide for Murray Rothbard's Man, Economy and State (with Power and Market) and Ludwig von Mises' Human Action, both published and distributed by the Mises Institute.

Reviews

In the 14 May 2007 edition of Human Events, reviewer Mac Johnson said of the Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism that,

it takes some discipline to distill complex concepts down to a convenient and accessible form. The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism hits this mark…Topics covered include price theory, unions, CEO pay, the minimum wage, child labor and anti-discrimination laws, banking, the gold standard, environmental regulations, antitrust law, deficit spending, safety laws, bread and circuses, globalization, free trade, and the new investor class…[15]

In a 9 July 2007 review for Barron's Magazine, Gene Epstein declared that the book,

contains more economic wisdom in its fewer-than-200 pages than the average principles textbook several times its length. In clear and often irreverent prose, Murphy makes a compelling case for the unfettered free market, or what his intellectual antagonists would call "free-market fundamentalism."

Although the review is a generally favorable one, Epstein opines that "
  • ccasionally I wish Murphy weren't so irreverent." Referring to the five-question quiz with which Murphy opens the volume, and the answer key Murphy provides, Epstein says "the uninitiated could have benefited from more pointed explanations. I hope Murphy provides these explanations in a subsequent edition." Later in the same column, Epstein compares Murphy's Guide to Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics, noting that,

I only wish Sowell were as informed about the economics of the Austrian school as author Robert Murphy. While Basic Economics and The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism work well as companion volumes, in the few cases where they seem to disagree—as in the discussion of money and business cycles—Murphy's version is the more trustworthy.[16]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:04:03 pm by Sovereign Curtis »

BigJoe

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 02:41:25 am »

Bob also teaches courses online at https://academy.mises.org/  He is an excellent teacher, I have taken 3 of his courses.  What is he talking about at PorcFest or is that a secret/to be determined

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:19:40 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roderick_Long

Roderick Tracy Long (born February 4, 1964) is a professor of philosophy at Auburn University and libertarian anarchist blogger. He also serves as a senior scholar for the Ludwig von Mises Institute, an editor of the Journal of Ayn Rand Studies, director and president of the Molinari Institute, and an advisory panel member for the Center for a Stateless Society. He received a B.A. in philosophy from Harvard University and his Ph.D. from Cornell University. He has edited the book Anarchism/Minarchism: Is a Government Part of a Free Country?. His work has been debated by Robert Bidinotto and cited by Gene Callahan. Long served as the editor of the Journal of Libertarian Studies and was a member of the Liberty and Power group blog.

According to Long, he specializes in "Greek philosophy; moral psychology; ethics; philosophy of social science; and political philosophy (with an emphasis on libertarian/anarchist theory)." Long supports what he calls "libertarian anarchy", but avoids describing this as "capitalism", a term he believes has inconsistent and confusing meanings. He is an advocate of “build[ing] worker solidarity. On the one hand, this means formal organisation, including unionization—but I’m not talking about the prevailing model of ‘business unions' . . . but real unions, the old-fashioned kind, committed to the working class and not just union members, and interested in worker autonomy, not government patronage.”

Bibliography

* Wittgenstein, Austrian Economics, and the Logic of Action: Praxeological Investigations (ISBN 978-0415329484) Routledge, August 2008.
    * Anarchism/Minarchism: Is a Government Part of a Free Country? (ISBN 978-0754660668) Ed., with Tibor Machan. Ashgate, February 2008.
    * Reason and Value: Aristotle versus Rand (ISBN 978-1577240457) Objectivist Center, 2000.

BigJoe

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:14:36 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roderick_Long

Roderick Tracy Long (born February 4, 1964) is a professor of philosophy at Auburn University and libertarian anarchist blogger. He also serves as a senior scholar for the Ludwig von Mises Institute, an editor of the Journal of Ayn Rand Studies, director and president of the Molinari Institute, and an advisory panel member for the Center for a Stateless Society. He received a B.A. in philosophy from Harvard University and his Ph.D. from Cornell University. He has edited the book Anarchism/Minarchism: Is a Government Part of a Free Country?. His work has been debated by Robert Bidinotto and cited by Gene Callahan. Long served as the editor of the Journal of Libertarian Studies and was a member of the Liberty and Power group blog.

According to Long, he specializes in "Greek philosophy; moral psychology; ethics; philosophy of social science; and political philosophy (with an emphasis on libertarian/anarchist theory)." Long supports what he calls "libertarian anarchy", but avoids describing this as "capitalism", a term he believes has inconsistent and confusing meanings. He is an advocate of “build[ing] worker solidarity. On the one hand, this means formal organisation, including unionization—but I’m not talking about the prevailing model of ‘business unions' . . . but real unions, the old-fashioned kind, committed to the working class and not just union members, and interested in worker autonomy, not government patronage.”

Bibliography

* Wittgenstein, Austrian Economics, and the Logic of Action: Praxeological Investigations (ISBN 978-0415329484) Routledge, August 2008.
    * Anarchism/Minarchism: Is a Government Part of a Free Country? (ISBN 978-0754660668) Ed., with Tibor Machan. Ashgate, February 2008.
    * Reason and Value: Aristotle versus Rand (ISBN 978-1577240457) Objectivist Center, 2000.

BAM!!    What is up.   Austro-libs in the House for P-Fest
Pages: [1]   Go Up