Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction to Libertarianism  (Read 15822 times)

Freestate

• Give me liberty or give me death
Re:Introduction to Libertarianism
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2003, 04:54:41 pm »

Hi all,
Abortion is, in all aspects except legality, the SAME AS MURDER.  Parents are not allowed to kill their 3 yr old child.  It is only due to an inexcusable power grab by the supreme court that it is legal to kill your baby before the baby is born.
Succession and a costal state may be our best option

Neo-Jeffersonian

• Life Boy Scout and NRA Sharpshooter.
Re:Abortion
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2003, 06:42:02 pm »

Free State,

The Controversy is whether of not a baby that has not yet been born is really a person.  Until its birth, a baby is only a well developed Embryo.  As I figure it, Thousands of eggs are not fertilized.  Thousands more are fertilized, but do not even survive through pregnancy.  Killing an unwanted, unborn embryo should be no different then the body killing a fertilized egg.  Really, it's just assisted miscarriage ;).  

Gandalf
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

Freestate

• Give me liberty or give me death
Re:Introduction to Libertarianism
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2003, 03:28:57 pm »

Hi all,
Consider the following:  a baby is 1 sec away from being born.  It will not noticeably change in the next second of its life.  At this point, it is still legal to murder the baby.  After 1 second passes, the baby is now born.  It still is at the same level of development as it was 1 second ago.  Now, killing it would be punished as murder.  

"person" is defined as "The living body of a human"
"life" is devfined as "The property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli or adaptation to the environment originating from within the organism. "
based on these definitions, I can't imagine a rational argument saying an unborn baby is not a living person.  A baby is clearly and obviously growing and developing from the point of conception.  If one were to require all the functions in the definition of life to qualify as living, a 5 year old would not be alive because it can't reproduce.  Because we all know a 5 year old is alive, we must conclude that only one of the funcitons in the definition of life is required for something to be considered to be living.  therefore, because the baby is alive, it is a person, born or unborn, and should be lawfully protected as such.
Succession and a costal state may be our best option
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up