Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction to Libertarianism  (Read 15975 times)

Dex Sinister

• Where are we going & why are we in this handbasket
Introduction to Libertarianism
« on: August 13, 2002, 02:19:14 pm »

In another topic, Steve said:
Here's a fine new Flash-based presentation on libertarian philosophy:

http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf
Go check it out by clicking on the link above, guys!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2002, 02:56:24 pm by Dex Sinister »
"[Thus,] there is no end to observations on the difference between the measures likely to be pursued by a minister backed by a standing army, and those of a court awed by the fear of an armed people.'"

--Aristotle.

Neo-Jeffersonian

• Life Boy Scout and NRA Sharpshooter.
Re:Introduction to Libertarianism
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 03:14:49 pm »

Very interesting.  Am I correct that it is essentially saying no one has the right to harm anyone, or to force someone to harm another, but one, however, does have the right to do what they want with their life as it doesn't hurt anyone?  That is the way life should be. No one should be able to controll someone else's life.  Let people do what they want to themselves and their lives, as long as do not physically harm another human being.

:)  GANDLAF THE WHITE  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 04:07:28 pm by Gandalf the White »
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

poptabbin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 08:32:27 pm »

darn tootin'!  seriously though, its good to hear younger people say things like that (I'm not to old myself!) but public schools drill it into their heads that the government should be all powerful and help everyone  and is a good thing to save people from themselves.  I have a little sister, who we are trying to disavow of that notion, but its hard.  they hear it everyday.    of course people should make decisions about their own lives!  but some laws in place wouldnt let you....... :-\

5pectre

• FSP Participant
  • terrorism is the symptom not the disease -1.5/-7.7
    • home
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2002, 09:39:30 pm »

public schools drill it into their heads that the government should be all powerful and help everyone

mine didn't. it didn't drill any political belief into me. if anything it told me to be more individual.

they hear it everyday.

you must have some pretty sucky public schools in the US. do you think it is a problem of management or lack of funds? my school was very poorly funded but it coped fairly well considering. don't give up completely on public schools, they have contributed a lot to society over the years (although in some they are beginning to show their age).

ShrineGuard

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2003, 06:38:07 pm »

onenat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 09:30:01 pm »

Very interesting.  Am I correct that it is essentially saying no one has the right to harm anyone, or to force someone to harm another, but one, however, does have the right to do what they want with their life as it doesn't hurt anyone?  That is the way life sould be. No one should be able to controll someone else's life.  Let people do what they want to themselves and their lives, as long as do not physically harm another human being.

:)  GANDLAF THE WHITE  :)

You're right.

Libertarians in general believe that all should live their life as they see fit, as long as they don't infringe on anybody else's right or ability to do so.

ShrineGuard

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2003, 09:05:58 pm »

What is the best part about that argument is that if you argue it, there really is no rational reason why the government should outlaw personal harm.

Well, those who are more religious and feel that imposing their belifes is a part of their religion will say it is because God mandates it, and I can't really argue that one.  If it's a person's faith, they are entitled to think that.

But the ones who say that people have been innundated by propaganda, that people can't make intelligent choices, and so on, are simply herding themselves down a path in which we can say they wish to control another person's life.

Then, when they try and say that you shouldn't argue with them because you support their right to annoy you, just tell them that you haven't gotten the government to fix the problem  ;D

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 06:56:35 pm »

you must have some pretty sucky public schools in the US.

Speaking of bad schools, did you know that California has the 48th worst government school system in the nation?  That is really sad.  
    The government schools are there to create servants to the government.  The teachers are the sheperds and the students are the sheep.  However, there are some kids who actually think.  They realize that they don't want to be part of the system.  My favourite thing to do is to disrupt the satus quo.  It is so wonderful to see people completely baffled.  

Mithrandir, Gandalf the White.
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

ShrineGuard

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 06:53:55 pm »

Well, rememember that not everyone who 'thinks' necessarily wants to not be a part of the system.  Many people decide to ride along with it and use it to their advantage, or try to change it.

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 11:21:52 am »

Well, rememember that not everyone who 'thinks' necessarily wants to not be a part of the system.  Many people decide to ride along with it and use it to their advantage, or try to change it.

Good point, ShrineGuard. I hadn't thought of that.

Jaytina

• why is everyone automatically a llama?
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 09:44:09 pm »

Gandalf, you seem like a pretty cool person - baffling the school system, sharpshooter, intense boardgames... :)
 I want to ask you; (from being such an old-timer on these boards, compared to me at least) do you like what you see? I mean, do you have an opinion on the free state and the people involved or are you just kind of being brought along because you're with your parents?

I guess I'm asking because I admire your vocality on here...and I believe you are an example of someone signed up without too much of a choice about it, which is a rare case.

Umm, I could be wrong about that, but forgive me if I am.

Jaytina

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 04:32:36 pm »

Gandalf, you seem like a pretty cool person - baffling the school system, sharpshooter, intense boardgames... :)
 I want to ask you; (from being such an old-timer on these boards, compared to me at least) do you like what you see? I mean, do you have an opinion on the free state and the people involved or are you just kind of being brought along because you're with your parents?

I guess I'm asking because I admire your vocality on here...and I believe you are an example of someone signed up without too much of a choice about it, which is a rare case.

Umm, I could be wrong about that, but forgive me if I am.

Jaytina

Perhaps I did not have much of a choice, but I do think that the Free State Project is a very good Idea.  I thought so from the beginning.  To say what I just said in more simple words, you are both correct and incorrect at the same time.  I was sort of – urged – by my parents, but I wanted to talk on the boards. I like to talk on the board and tell my Ideas over practically the whole country.  
   The reason that I spread my Ideas is so that other people can baffle the school system.  It would be better if occasionally people said, "No, I am not going to go along with the game.  I will not colour inside the lines."  Some that I know try to stop me from "spreading my ideas" (whatever that means ???) because he doesn’t want people to think.  He happens to also be a school teacher and an ex-navy commander, so that explains everything to me.  

Well, Jaytina, if this has not answered all of your questions, I am truly sorry.  If you have anymore questions to ask, please feel free.  

Gandalf the White Rider
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 05:25:45 pm by Gandalf the White »

Jaytina

• why is everyone automatically a llama?
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 10:19:56 pm »

Yeah I have a question; Who on Earth smote you!?!   :o
 All I can think of is that they must have been sore losers and you kicked their butts in boardgames... (?)

You answered just what I wanted to know, and graciously, thank you. When I think of anything else, I will let you know!  :)

J-tina

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2003, 11:55:22 pm »

Yeah I have a question; Who on Earth smote you!?!   :o
 All I can think of is that they must have been sore losers and you kicked their butts in boardgames... (?)

To you I say:  I hope that question is rhetorical ???.  If not I haven't got the slightest Idea as to who smote me.  I don't recall having done anything terrible or bad to anyone, but you never can tell with humans.

Mithrandir, Gandalf Grayhame
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 04:04:47 pm by Gandalf the White »

John-Wiltbank

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2003, 10:18:19 pm »

Here's an introduction to libertarianism:

Don't steal each other's toys.
Don't kidnap people to help you fight your annoying next door neighbor.
Don't lock people in your basement for eating brocolli (or injesting other things you don't like).
Don't take away other kid's sticks and rocks. (2nd Amendment)
Don't rummage through people's backpacks looking for sticks and rocks. (5th Amendment)
Don't hit people with rocks when they say things you don't like. (1st Amendment)
Don't barge in and make up rules for people playing a game that has nothing to do with you.
Don't lock those people in your basement when they won't play by your rules.
Don't kill people if they won't come to your basement.
Don't sleep over at someone's house without their permission (3rd Amendment)
Don't force everyone to give you their toys in exchange for IOUs written on green scrap paper and then refuse to give the toys back.
Don't punish people without first determining whether they actually did it. (Right to a trial)
Don't make all your neighbors bow down on your front lawn and worship your He-Man action figure. (1st Amendment again)
Don't kill people for insulting He-Man.
Don't kill people who won't help the magazine drive.
Stop eating all the food from the food drive.
Don't demand everyone pay He-Man to build education camps that will make their children smart.
Don't send Larry a bill when you play doctor with Molly.
Don't store your toxic sludge in other people's bedrooms.
Always stand up for the kid the teacher is harrassing.

Basically, don't lie, have some honor, and leave innocent people alone.  That is Libertarianism to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up