Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free State inspiration (Concord Monitor)  (Read 6394 times)

antistate1190

Free State inspiration (Concord Monitor)
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:07:04 am »

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/229740/free-state-inspiration

LETTER

Free State inspiration

Dan Schroth Piermarocchi, Pittsfield

By For the Monitor

December 18, 2010

To the good citizens of the Free State Project: Thank you for setting an example.

Many of us would gladly trade the protections society has bestowed on us for the liberty to live as we choose without harming our neighbor. Here in Pittsfield we have started the Free Town Project.

We have drawn up a petition to repeal the 1988 zoning ordinance. It has been signed and delivered to Paul Skowron, our very capable town administrator. He has assured me this will receive a hearing and be on the ballot come March. The way I figure it, the cops own the roads, the IRS still owns part of our pay, our fire chief, Gary Johnson, still wants you to get a fire permit, and Dan Kramer, our building inspector, still wants you to get a building permit. If we repeal zoning we get everything else. This almost has the taste of freedom.

You know the song "Uprising" by Muse? I think we are going to use that for our campaign theme song. I hope to meet some members of your group. You are always welcome in Pittsfield. You have been inspiring.

DAN SCHROTH PIERMAROCCHI

Pittsfield

This is a good letter. The FSP must get more natives on board if we want less gov. in NH.

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
Re: Free State inspiration (Concord Monitor)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 07:08:21 am »

Here is his previous letter.

Down with zoning!
By For the Monitor
November 14, 2010

Here are five good reasons to repeal Pittsfield's 1988 zoning ordinance:

1. Larger business that are already established can easily come up with the permit fees, engineering and lawyers. We need to get rid of zoning in Pittsfield to let the little guy in the door and help plant the seeds of future business.

2. Zoning hurts competition. That's why some established businesses approve of zoning.

3. Most folks operating out of their backyards are intimidated by the planning board and zoning board and their reputation for presenting a large hurdle.

4. Barton Lumber might start doing more business. Also, the hardware store along with many other businesses in and around Pittsfield would benefit. If there was no zoning, people would be much more likely to open with a sign and be proud of it.

5. I'm thinking I don't cut my hair until Pittsfield is liberated from the shackles of zoning.

DAN SCHROTH PIERMAROCCHI

Pittsfield
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 07:35:33 am »

He may call the Free State an inspiration but the Free State should call him an inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_2vMA4WQKk
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:52:59 am »

Stone wall is a work of art
By Dan Schroth Piermarocchi / For the Monitor
May 4, 2010

On March 2, my dog, Baxter, and I finished rebuilding the new England stonewall on the east side of the new ball field on Tilton Hill Road in Pittsfield.

The rebuilding and adding a back to the wall took 24 days and was done over the course of one year, mostly this winter, with a crew of three some days, four others; sometimes I worked alone with my dog.

Here are the statistics: 12,000 pounds of fieldstone from Webster Mills Road and 38,000 pounds of ledgerock from Clough Road were trucked in and dollyed down the path of sorrow. The old rock wall on site weighed approximately 95,000 pounds and is approximately 30 inches wide, 32 inches high and 223 feet long.

Many thanks to my good friend Larry Berkson and the Youth Baseball Association for the opportunity.

Here are the citizens that made the project possible: Tom and Mary Chayer and Dennis and Hope Mannion donated stone. Pete Pynowski and Ray Webber trucked stone. Jefferey Ames, Clint Brewster, James Schroth, Justin Schroth and Ryan Chase were stonemen.

Together we placed a wager of art. The wall is the highest point of the park. It is facing west; when the sun starts to set, the wall brightens. It is probably the closest thing to a pyramid we will ever build. On a scale of one to 10 - 10 being extremely difficult - this wall was a seven.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

BigJoe

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 10:20:40 am »

lets get this guy to the Liberty Forum

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:41:22 pm »

you could even pay him with a few rocks
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

antistate1190

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 02:01:26 am »

lets get this guy to the Liberty Forum

Or spread his story to inspire more liberty lovers to NH.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 12:39:47 am »

BTW, here are some more good reasons for getting rid of zoning:
1. It makes it illegal--or impractical--to build those beautiful New England town centers that once sprung up before zoning came about.
2. Zoning discourages that kind of good development that most folks only wish that we could get.
3. Euclidean Zoning virtually guarantees that towns will get only big box strip malls and franchises that have become the common case in towns that use this policy.
Not to mention the most important reason of all:
"I have no doubt but that the misery of the lower classes will be found to abate whenever the Government assumes a freer aspect and the laws favor a subdivision of Property."
~James Madison

Here is his previous letter.

Down with zoning!
By For the Monitor
November 14, 2010

Here are five good reasons to repeal Pittsfield's 1988 zoning ordinance:

1. Larger business that are already established can easily come up with the permit fees, engineering and lawyers. We need to get rid of zoning in Pittsfield to let the little guy in the door and help plant the seeds of future business.

2. Zoning hurts competition. That's why some established businesses approve of zoning.

3. Most folks operating out of their backyards are intimidated by the planning board and zoning board and their reputation for presenting a large hurdle.

4. Barton Lumber might start doing more business. Also, the hardware store along with many other businesses in and around Pittsfield would benefit. If there was no zoning, people would be much more likely to open with a sign and be proud of it.

5. I'm thinking I don't cut my hair until Pittsfield is liberated from the shackles of zoning.

DAN SCHROTH PIERMAROCCHI

Pittsfield
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »

I think your conclusions are dependent on the wording of the zoning statutes and variances allowed.
Pittsfield has many problems... the largest being the lack of a market to entice business.

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »

And Dan Piermarocchi is saying that zoning is a big cause of the lack of businesses to make a market.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 01:15:49 am »

Possibly. But not likely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything