Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hampshire is the Most Libertarian State in the USA  (Read 24367 times)

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
Re:New Hampshire is the Most Libertarian State in the USA
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2003, 07:03:03 pm »

I know other states have Liberty minded events throughout the year, especially on the 4th, but it was AMAZING to day to go and listen to the Declaration of Independence being read today in one of the NH churches where it was originally read. So much of it sounds like the bill of rights (the 1st part) of the NH Constitution, that I got the feeling the NH folks there were probably thinking they were copying them. :)

JM

Ahhh.. One more time for the 4th... :D

NH Constitution [Art.] 10. [Right of Revolution.] Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

June 2, 1784
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2003, 10:00:01 pm »

I know other states have Liberty minded events throughout the year, especially on the 4th, but it was AMAZING to day to go and listen to the Declaration of Independence being read today in one of the NH churches where it was originally read. So much of it sounds like the bill of rights (the 1st part) of the NH Constitution, that I got the feeling the NH folks there were probably thinking they were copying them. :)

JM

Ahhh.. One more time for the 4th... :D

NH Constitution [Art.] 10. [Right of Revolution.] Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

June 2, 1784

Constitutional Right and Duty of Revolution

Reason number ten why New Hampshire is the most libertarian state in the nation.
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2003, 08:32:47 am »

I'm not Keith or Paul, but I'll take a whack at it.

. . .I'd personally rank (in no particular order) ID, AK, NH, and WY as the most libertarian states in the country.  Idaho then tends to trail the other three due to fiscal issues.  For instance, they've just recently raised taxes there, and their legislature has defeated citizen initiatives for term limits twice now.

Fiscal responsibility, or the lack thereof, is by far the biggest single inhibitor to reducing government and promoting freedom. When you begin a battle with 40-50%* of your funds in the enemy's treasury, the odds are severely stacked against you already.

If state A steals 40%* of my life work to use in limiting the choices I get to make and state B steals only 15%*, I'll vote for state B every time.

New Hampshire is State B, as it currently steals the least sweat from the backs of the productive citizens that live within its borders.

*Numbers are not to be taken literally or quoted out of context.

Edited for typo.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 08:33:28 am by Palindrome »
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up