Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wyoming the only choice  (Read 15139 times)

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
Re:Wyoming the only choice
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2003, 10:07:08 am »

New Hampshire may be smaller than Wyoming, but there is no space issue in either state, so it is irrelevant.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2003, 10:24:50 am »

New Hampshire may be smaller than Wyoming, but there is no space issue in either state, so it is irrelevant.
Maybe it is to you but not everyone else. There is a definite space issue in NH. We have different meanings of open space in the west obviously.

Karl

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2003, 10:33:45 am »

Maybe it is to you but not everyone else. There is a definite space issue in NH. We have different meanings of open space in the west obviously.

For goodness' sake, exactly how much space do you need?  1,000 acres?  10,000 acres?  You do know all this cheap land is dry, treeless sagebrush, right?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 10:34:43 am by Karl »

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2003, 10:52:54 am »

For goodness' sake, exactly how much space do you need?  1,000 acres?  10,000 acres?  You do know all this cheap land is dry, treeless sagebrush, right?
I can see you have never been to Wyoming.

Karl

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2003, 10:59:52 am »

Irrelevant.  You didn't answer my question.  How much land is enough?  Exactly where is this land, which you imply is not dry and sagebrushy, and how does it meet your definition of affordable?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 11:01:03 am by Karl »

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2003, 11:07:01 am »

Irrelevant.  You didn't answer my question.  How much land is enough?  Exactly where is this land, which you imply is not dry and sagebrushy, and how does it meet your definition of affordable?
I think 100,000+ acres of open land is a a starting point. From moutain ranges, to rivers an dry plains. Affordable to me is under $500 per acre. Not that I am cheap, but I believe land should be free like the old Homesteading Act.

Karl

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2003, 11:17:00 am »

I think 100,000+ acres of open land is a a starting point. From moutain ranges, to rivers an dry plains. Affordable to me is under $500 per acre. Not that I am cheap, but I believe land should be free like the old Homesteading Act.

So, your 100,000 acres of dry treeless sagebrush, at $500 an acre, comes up to $50 million.  That's quite an estate.  I thought you said you would go bankrupt in New Hampshire?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 11:20:38 am by Karl »

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2003, 07:37:18 am »

Zion, you're right.  If you want 100,000 acres than you'll have a problem in New Hampshire.  Luckily for us, most FSP members are willing to settle for 20 or even 100 acres so long as the political situation works out.

Karl

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2003, 08:30:56 am »

Zion, you're right.  If you want 100,000 acres than you'll have a problem in New Hampshire.  Luckily for us, most FSP members are willing to settle for 20 or even 100 acres so long as the political situation works out.

I think that some people don't really understand how large an acre is.  If one owned 100,000 acres, or more than 156 square miles, in Wyoming, they would be among the largest individual land owners in the state.  I doubt that many, if any, free staters could afford it.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2003, 08:39:49 am »

Karl -
I understand the size of an acre, I was just sticking to the rhetoric that was presented to me.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2003, 08:40:00 am »

I don't want to own that many acres, just want that much open space.

Karl

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2003, 08:45:20 am »

Karl -
I understand the size of an acre, I was just sticking to the rhetoric that was presented to me.

Yeah, I know.  I was agreeing with you, and adding my own thoughts. ;)

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2003, 08:46:01 am »

The only way you're going to keep that much space to yourself without owning it is if you live in a desert where no one else wants to visit.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Karl

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2003, 08:49:10 am »

I don't want to own that many acres, just want that much open space.

Open space is great, but I'd rather have trees.  Personal choice, I guess.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up