Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WY or AK?  (Read 4947 times)

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
Re:WY or AK?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 09:59:42 am »

So even though you're opted out you'll go?  Good dedication on your part.  AK also concerns me because a large percentage of it is unworkable, though should that Arctic shipping lane become a reality, AK will be booming.

While I love the concept of AK, I really can't imagine living there.  It's remoteness is disheartening, and to be honest, proximity to my friends and family is a serious concern for me (and the fact that my wife couldn't care less about the FSP, so any move would have to be within reason).

If you're going to live 'flying distance' instead of 'driving distance' away, it won't make a whole lot of difference.  There's tons of service to the 'mainland' from Anchorage.  In fact, time wise, there are *some* places that the time from Anchorage to the destination would be about the same as from parts of Wyoming.

On to the reason for this post - despite the political advantages of AK, is it the most opted-out state?  

I'm opted out of AK.  I'm highly confident if it's chosen, we'll go.  Can't say that of some other states I'm opted out of (i.e. ME, ND, and some more popular ones ;-)

V-

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2003, 11:14:45 am »

So even though you're opted out you'll go?

Right.  Opting out doesn't mean "I won't go", it mean's "I'm not committed to going".  There's a big difference.  Now the 1 state wonders might not actually go, but depending on the state, there may be people that would go even though they're opted out.  A lot of it will have to do with after-the-vote marketing.

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2003, 07:40:16 am »

Ahh, I've interpreted it differently.  I didn't opt out of anything unless I wasn't willing to move there, though I understand your logic as well.  Though I'm not a one state wonder, one of my key opt-out factors was proximity to my family and friends.  As for the opt-outs, I would be willing to move to one of them as well, should the project succeed or show signs of success.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up