Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spammers  (Read 12033 times)

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
Spammers
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:00:35 am »

The signal-to-Noise ratio is plummeting on the forum. It's getting to look like a very unkempt and uninviting space.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
Re: Spammers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:23:32 am »

Agreed, the mods are doing the best they can to deal with them but some more (perhaps some out west so there is distribution across timezones) would probably be useful for dealing with the issue.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:19:34 am »

yea it was very annoying
i had to shut off email notification of a whole pile of threads
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

larkspur

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:50:12 pm »

I'm on the west coast and would be happy to help moderate.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." -- Thomas Jefferson

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 08:39:49 am »

Does this forum software have a feature like Wordpress where you can cause any first-time posts to require moderation and then once someone has something posted, their posts go up without moderation?

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:17:21 pm »

The anti-spammer mods have blocked over 27000 spammers since it was installed.  If the forum is upgraded to 2.0, that will give the ability to moderate first posts.  Wondering if that will go gold this century.

Alex Libman

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:39:05 am »

So last night I found myself banned from the forum.  Stated reason: spam.  Remembering the satirical overload of my last few posts, I thought one of the mods didn't like my sense of humor, making this the third major FSP-related forum I am banned from (after NHLA and FTL).  Good thing that, before engaging in any Beatrix Kiddo type of activities (or possible Seppuku), I've decided to check via a proxy, thereby discovering that guest access from all IP's seemed to be banned as well.  Everything was fine this morning.  Did someone fat-finger an IP filter or something?

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:13:52 am »

So last night I found myself banned from the forum.  Stated reason: spam.  Remembering the satirical overload of my last few posts, I thought one of the mods didn't like my sense of humor, making this the third major FSP-related forum I am banned from (after NHLA and FTL).  Good thing that, before engaging in any Beatrix Kiddo type of activities (or possible Seppuku), I've decided to check via a proxy, thereby discovering that guest access from all IP's seemed to be banned as well.  Everything was fine this morning.  Did someone fat-finger an IP filter or something?

That would be me.  While blocking a Korean spammer I misstyped the first octet and banned EVERYBODY.  Sorry about that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything