Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hampshire Won't Be Chosen  (Read 11800 times)

Michelle

• FSP Participant
Re:New Hampshire Won't Be Chosen
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 01:54:45 pm »

What do you say of NH having more people opting out of every state but NH. Seems to me that there is a concerted campaign of deception going on.

Zion,

Continuously repeating an untruth doesn't make it true. As I pointed out to you twice yesterday:

You people are beating a dead horse, but since you insist, I decided to run some numbers. Based on the total membership of each of the ten states on May 9, it appears that Delaware, Alaska, and Montana are the worst three offenders. Of course, it should be pointed out that this *wasn't* against the rules until just recently. But anyhow, here are the percentages of each states' membership that have opted out of all but their own states.

DE - 37.14%
AK - 28.57%
MT - 20.41%
NH - 16.95%
VT - 14.29%
ME - 9.52%
ND - 9.09%
ID - 8.69%
SD - 0% (but only 15 members)
WY - 0% (but only 17 members)
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

etphonehome

• FSP Participant
  • Have a nice day!
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 02:26:59 pm »

I don't pretend to know how the vote will go, since I just joined the Free State Project, but I do believe that New Hampshire is the better choice in almost every aspect of life. I'm not really from the "West" or the "East." I live in Minnesota, and I have visited Wyoming and New England a couple of times in the past. My impressions of Wyoming were always as follows: it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Right now, I am studying computer engineering at a university, and when I graduate I will try to obtain employment in the technology industry, preferably in the free state. From what I have read, there is practically no technology industry in Wyoming, while there is a growing high-tech sector in New Hampshire. This might not be important for many of you who work in other professions, but I will not move to the free state until I find employment there, and I just feel that the chances for a person with a degree in computer enginering to find employment in New Hampshire is a lot better than the chance of finding a job in Wyoming.

Also, I think New Hampshire has a huge advantage in the structure of its state government. In New Hampshire, the state legislators receive practically no salary, which gives them little incentive to spend large amounts of money on their campaigns. In New Hampshire, it seems that the campaigns would be easier to win on a low budget, and even though the population is large, it is highly in favor of freedom, and it seems that it would be less opposed to severing financial ties with the federal government as much as possible.

Again, I'm not disputing that Wyoming will win the vote, because I honestly haven't seen enough information to know. However, I do know that Wyoming will be among the bottom of my rankings, for precisely the reasons listed above.
“With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.”
   â€”Captain Picard

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2003, 02:28:44 pm »

What do you say of NH having more people opting out of every state but NH. Seems to me that there is a concerted campaign of deception going on.

Zion,

Continuously repeating an untruth doesn't make it true. As I pointed out to you twice yesterday:

You people are beating a dead horse, but since you insist, I decided to run some numbers. Based on the total membership of each of the ten states on May 9, it appears that Delaware, Alaska, and Montana are the worst three offenders. Of course, it should be pointed out that this *wasn't* against the rules until just recently. But anyhow, here are the percentages of each states' membership that have opted out of all but their own states.

DE - 37.14%
AK - 28.57%
MT - 20.41%
NH - 16.95%
VT - 14.29%
ME - 9.52%
ND - 9.09%
ID - 8.69%
SD - 0% (but only 15 members)
WY - 0% (but only 17 members)
I Said more people not percentage, ok spin doctor.  ::)  Typical.

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2003, 02:35:31 pm »

ROTFLOL! Zion! New Hampshire, according to the most recent publicized figures, has 118 members to Wyoming's 17, Montana's 49, and Idaho's 46. Per 1000 population, New Hampshire has almost double the members of Montana. Who's the spin doctor??
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

RacecaR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2003, 02:37:57 pm »

I'd suggest those in western states place New Hampshire on the bottom so they get few condorcet points as possible.  I don't have anything against New Hampshire per se, but the state chosen WILL be a western state.  I've put a bet out there but nobody yet has accepted the offer.  

My vote will be as follows:

1.  Montana
2.  Wyoming
3.  Idaho
4.  Alaska
5.  South Dakota
6.  North Dakota
7.  Vermont
8.  Delaware
9.  Maine
10.  New Hampshire

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2003, 02:41:27 pm »

ROTFLOL! Zion! New Hampshire, according to the most recent publicized figures, has 118 members to Wyoming's 17, Montana's 49, and Idaho's 46. Per 1000 population, New Hampshire has almost double the members of Montana. Who's the spin doctor??
You are the one who spun it. I said most people opting out of evey state except there own. That is a fact. You are the one who came in and said that it was a lie and then provide evidence that has nothing to do with my statement.  Keep spinning it reveals your true intentions.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2003, 02:46:48 pm »

Michelle already put up the numbers.... NH is only 3rd or 4th on nono-optouters percentage.

Too bad you are just anti-NH, and not interested in promoting which state you think will be the best for the project.

Being positive and in FAVOR of something is a really great feeling.

I wish you happiness.

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2003, 02:48:31 pm »

You are the one who spun it. I said most people opting out of evey state except there own. That is a fact. You are the one who came in and said that it was a lie and then provide evidence that has nothing to do with my statement.  Keep spinning it reveals your true intentions.

C'mon Zion. It's simple math that an eight-year-old could figure out. Seriously, if Wyoming is a great choice for me to list as my #2, convince me. Trying to build up a state by tearing down another is simply doing the opposite as I am sure it is doing for many others.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2003, 02:54:43 pm »

C'mon Zion. It's simple math that an eight-year-old could figure out. Seriously, if Wyoming is a great choice for me to list as my #2, convince me. Trying to build up a state by tearing down another is simply doing the opposite as I am sure it is doing for many others.
Up until recently I had NH ranked 2nd so don't feed me that crap. I also never questioned your math, you just spun it to make NH not look so bad. I said people and you call me a liar and provide percentage.  :o

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2003, 02:56:49 pm »

Irrationality is a sign of panic.

I’m enjoying the show.

But seriously, you rabid western-chauvinists do your cause a disservice. Please keep it up.
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

RacecaR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2003, 02:58:33 pm »

When I say New Hampshire won't be chosen, I'm not tearing it down.  I'm sure it's a nice place.  I just don't think it will be chosen.  And personally I don't want to live on the East Coast.  I was born in upstate NY but I grew up in the west and feel more comfortable with lots of cheap land, smaller cities, sparse population, libertarian leaning locals who want the fed out of their personal lives, etc.  I just don't see that happening in the east; at least not to the same degree as the independent, self-reliant, liberty-minded, freedom-loving, west.

That's funny coming from someone who is irrational enough to use a term like "rabid western-chauvinists"
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 03:01:12 pm by RacecaR »

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2003, 02:58:41 pm »

I?m enjoying the show.

But seriously, you rabid western-chauvinists do your cause a disservice. Please keep it up.

And your prejudices against westerners show your true intentions. Spin it.

Karl

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2003, 03:05:35 pm »

...lots of cheap land, smaller cities, sparse population, libertarian leaning locals who want the fed out of their personal lives, etc...

That sounds a lot like New Hampshire!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 03:06:47 pm by Karl »

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2003, 03:06:02 pm »

And your prejudices against westerners show your true intentions. Spin it.

If you will READ my post, you will see that I specified the rabid western-chauvinists are doing the disservice. I didn’t say all westerners were rabid or chauvinist. I guess you guys also have gov’t schools out there.

Actually, I lived in the west and loved it.

Before I heard of the FSP, my family had determined to move to ID or MT.

I intend to give WY my #2 vote.

Having said that, I firmly believe New Hampshire offers the FSP its greatest chance of attracting both right and left libertarians. It would be great to make it to 20,000 ya know.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 03:14:28 pm by Doug(stumpy) »
Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2003, 03:08:59 pm »

New Hampshire has so many more members than any other candidate state that percentages are the only reasonable way to look at it.

I think most people realize that. Ten black marbles in a bag of 20 is significant. In a bag of 1000, 20 black marbles is insignificant.

But you knew that. :)

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up