Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New New Hampshire poll  (Read 6763 times)

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
New New Hampshire poll
« on: June 28, 2003, 07:32:29 pm »

As many of you know, the NH Senate and House passed a new state budget with an 8% increase, which just got vetoed by Governor Craig Benson the day before he became the first Governor to meet with the Free State Project.

Here's how New Hampshire residents feel about his veto:

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_show.html?article=23090

Poll: 72 percent of NH
adults favor budget veto
Union Leader News

Nearly three-quarters of Granite Staters approve of Gov. Craig Benson’s veto of the state budget, according to the latest New Hampshire Poll by the American Research Group of Manchester.

The poll also has Benson’s job approval rating at 61 percent.

The poll of 600 New Hampshire adults, conducted on June 26, showed 72 percent favored the veto, while 18 percent opposed it and 10 percent were undecided. The poll has a margin of error of 6 percent.

When asked if they agreed with Benson that the spending increases in the budget were too high or if they agreed with the legislative leadership that the increases are not too high, 71 percent said they agreed with Benson, 15 percent agreed with the leaders and 14 percent were undecided.

Of the 600 surveyed, ARG said that 450 identified themselves as registered voters. Among that group, 170 were Republicans, 120 were Democrats and 160 were undeclared voters.

Among the Republicans, 85 percent favored the veto, while 11 percent were opposed. Among undeclared voters, 67 percent favored the veto while 19 percent were opposed, and among Democrats, 56 percent favored the veto while 24 percent were opposed.

-eoa-

Note the HUGE percentage of Independents and even DEMOCRATS who support the veto.

This is the type of electorate who will happily vote the FSP into power, as they have elected the 28 libertarians serving in New Hampshire now. Two ex-Lib candidates for NH Governor are now working in the state house.

The LPNH has the political experience, media and political contacts galore, and we know how to win elections - All we need now are more candidates - With 20k activists, we will be THE dominant party - Even within a year, we could have dozens of people in the state house, plus hundreds serving elsewhere..

New Hampshire people will elect us. This poll shows how much support there is for small government in New Hampshire.
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
Re:New New Hampshire poll
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 12:40:10 pm »

You keep stating the Benson approval rating as if it means anything. Just look at the approval rating of Bush and you will see what I mean.  ::)

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 01:31:50 pm »

Don't look at New Hampshire... We voted Buchanan in the Republican primary.... Bush cheated children out of ice cream here.  PLUS he and his dad are/were RINO's. :-\

And actually, we are touting that Craig :D met with us, and told us to "come on up, we'd love to have you". But the POLL had to do with NH citizen's widespread approval of Craig's :D veto of the budget, not only his approval ratings. If 2/3'rds want a smaller budget, it bodes VERY well for FSP candidates in NH... And for the ones who choose to work through the LP, NH voters are used to voting in Libertarians... The press and politicos in NH like and respect the LPNH. That's why we have 28 Libertarians in office currently, and fully plan to be over 50 next year. A feat no other candidate state can even come close to matching.

JM

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 04:45:38 pm »

Has the LP attained major party status in any state yet?

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 08:41:57 pm »

Wyoming and Alaska are the only two that I know of.

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 08:48:55 pm »

The budget battle in New Hampshire may change this somewhat, but as of June 22, the Concord Monitor released a poll showing that President Bush enjoyed a higher approval rating in New Hampshire than Governor Benson:

Poll: Benson less popular than Bush

Governor gets 44 percent approval in 'Monitor' survey

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003

By JENNIFER SKALKA
Monitor staff

New Hampshire voters also support the new state law requiring parental notification before girls can get abortions.

President Bush gets high job approval ratings from New Hampshire voters, but Republican Gov. Craig Benson isn't riding his coattails, according to a new Concord Monitor poll.

The poll of 600 likely New Hampshire voters found that 44 percent of voters approve of Benson's performance, while 64 percent said Bush is doing a good or excellent job. Research 2000 of Rockville, Md., conducted the poll between June 17 and 19. The margin of error was 4 percent.

Of those polled, 163 people identified themselves as Democrats, 214 as Republicans and 223 as independents.

Benson's lukewarm review doesn't bode well for a first-term governor who should still be in the honeymoon period of his term, according to researcher Del Ali, who conducted the poll.

"If the Democrats put up a good candidate against him, they could definitely make it a race," Ali said. "Obviously his numbers have to improve."

A random inquiry of shoppers at Steeplegate Mall in Concord Friday shed a little light on why the two Republican executives fared so differently with New Hampshire voters.

Eric Jordan, a Gilford resident who owns Jordan's Ice Creamery in Belmont, said he supported Benson in 2002 and Bush in 2000. If he had to cast a ballot today for both of them, however, he'd vote for Bush but not Benson, Jordan said.

"I think there's been a great upheaval in state government," Jordan said. "I had high hopes that he would do a great job when he got in there. He hasn't met my expectations."

Jordan, an independent who previously supported Bill Clinton, said Benson has a "high-handed" approach to government. He said Benson hasn't done a lot of listening while in the corner office and that communication from the governor's office to the public has been poor.

But Jordan said he's behind Bush 100 percent. He characterized the president as a decisive leader with an unwavering dedication to the causes he believes in. Jordan said he supported the war against Iraq but not the president's $350 billion tax cut.

"Is it going to pump a lot of money into the economy?" Jordan said. "I don't think it really is."

Five percent of voters said Benson was doing an excellent job as governor; 39 percent gave him "good" ratings. Thirty-two percent said the governor's performance was fair or poor; 24 percent said they weren't sure.

The Monitor poll found that both men got mediocre marks for their management of economic matters. About 44 percent of voters support Benson's handling of the state budget, the latest version of which he has encouraged lawmakers to reject. Benson has threatened to veto the Legislature's version of the budget but won't make a final determination until next week.

Thirty-two percent of voters said Benson has done a fair job on the budget, 6 percent said his effort has been poor and 18 percent said they're not sure.

Richard Day, a retired insurance claims manager who lives in Loudon, said Benson may have ruffled feathers with the veto warning, but politicians often have to stir things up to get what they want.

"You need to threaten in order to get things done," said Day, who voted for the governor and thinks he's doing a good job.

Benson and Bush are about on par when it comes to economic matters. Just 42 percent of New Hampshire voters approve of how Bush has handled the economy. The president gets a fair review from 41 percent of respondents and poor marks from 17 percent of those polled.

Bush's tepid numbers on the economy and his solid overall approval ratings show that voters haven't yet linked the president with the nation's stumbling economy, Ali said.

"Right now, none of this is sticking with Bush," Ali said. "Maybe part of it is because we're so far out of the presidential election. But as you get closer it is pocketbook issues."

Elizabeth Grappone, a Bow grandmother, said she's not happy with Bush or Benson. Asked about the governor's performance in office, and Grappone offered a quick "stinks, and the president stinks, and I voted for both of them."

Grappone said she doesn't like Benson's proposed budget cuts, which included sweeping cuts to state social services. She was particularly miffed that Benson wants to fold programs for the elderly, like adult day care.

"The governor, my God, he has no compassion for old people," she said.

As for the Bush tax cut, Grappone was equally unimpressed. "That's going to feather the rich people's nest," she said. "He's putting us in debt."

Many people polled by the Monitor, 41 percent, said the tax cut will have no effect on their family's financial situation. About 29 percent said it would help them, 27 percent said it would hurt them and 3 percent said they were not sure.

Poll respondents also overwhelmingly said the tax cut is designed to benefit the rich: 42 percent said it's crafted for the nation's wealthiest, 17 percent said it's for the middle class, 1 percent said it's for the poor, 29 percent said it's for everyone and 11 percent said they're not sure.

Donna Ong, a mother of one who teaches eighth grade in Allenstown, said she knows the tax cut will benefit the affluent not the poor. Ong said she doesn't support the president's plan for just that reason, even though her family - her husband is an MRI technician - will get a boost.

"I think the rich" stand to benefit, Ong said. "I can say that confidently because I will get that benefit."

Day said that the rich pay the bulk of the nation's taxes and therefore deserve a break. He also said the tax cut would jumpstart the economy.

"I certainly am not thrilled with the amount of taxes I pay, and anytime anyone wants to cut them I'm all in favor," Day said.

Ali said that 2003 is looking more and more like 1991. Bush, like his father, is standing tall in the polls, a likely result of the war against Iraq. Well over half of those polled - 59 percent - said that the war against Iraq was justified even if weapons of mass destruction are not found in Iraq. Only 21 percent said the war was justified only if weapons are found, and 14 percent said the war was unnecessary even if weapons are discovered.

All told, Ali said that the nine Democratic presidential contenders need to shift public discussion from homeland security and international matters to domestic issues, the economy in particular, if they have a prayer of victory in 2004.

"The economy is not driving the issues in the presidential race at this point in New Hampshire," he said. "Bush gets low marks in New Hampshire but when you match him up with any of the Democrats, he's well over 50 percent against them." (The Monitor will run a story tomorrow on hypothetical Bush match-ups with the nine Democratic presidential candidates.)

In New Hampshire, the budget has been a thorn in Benson's side and a point of contention between the governor and the Legislature, whose members favor a more generous package. But there's one issue on which the public and the Legislature agreed with the governor: parental notification. More than half - 55 percent of those polled - said they support a notification law, which requires minors younger than 18 to notify their parents before they can have an abortion. In contrast, 38 percent oppose the proposal, which narrowly passed the Legislature. Benson signed it into law last week.

"I have no problem with that," said Maryann Mahoney, a 29-year-old environmental consultant who lives in Concord. "If they're under 18, the parents need to be notified."

Ali said it's still early in Benson's term, and he has time to rebound. If Bush's numbers stay high, he could help carry Benson through a rocky budget season. But if Bush's numbers plummet, Benson could be even worse off than he is today.

"If his numbers stay like this a year from now, if his approval is in the 40s, if he doesn't break the 50 percent approval threshold, he very well could be a one-term governor," Ali said. "I mean, you're looking at a competitive race without any question."

Sunday, Jun 22, 2003

phylinidaho

• Friend of the FSP
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2003, 08:48:57 pm »

Wyoming and Alaska are the only two that I know of.

I'm not quite sure what is involved in the term "major party status", but if it means having a primary, Idaho qualified in 2002.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 03:40:28 pm »

NH House backs governor's budget veto
By GARRY RAYNO
Capitol Bureau Chief

CONCORD — By just four votes, the House today sustained Gov. Craig Benson’s veto of the $8.8 billion budget package, and later passed a continuing resolution to keep state government running.

Benson said he would support the resolution if it passed the Senate, which was meeting this afternoon.

The House voted 245-128 to override HB 1, while 249 votes were needed to make the bill law despite the veto.

The House also voted 131-242 to sustain Benson’s veto of HB 2 which contains fee increases and changes of law needed for the budget. ...

Full Story

Mickey

• Libertarian, Objectivist, head-banger
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 04:45:26 pm »

The Libertarian Party of Indiana has enjoyed major party status for years. :)
Ubi libertas ibi patria
Where there is Liberty, there is my homeland.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2003, 03:18:40 pm »

Several states (IIRC, 24) have LP major party status. Doesn't seem to matter much. I think more can be done by focusing on small, local winnable elections such as those being targeted by the LPNH.

The really important bit of the poll is that "Of the 600 surveyed, ARG said that 450 identified themselves as registered voters. Among that group, 170 were Republicans, 120 were Democrats and 160 were undeclared voters.
Among the Republicans, 85 percent favored the veto, while 11 percent were opposed. Among undeclared voters, 67 percent favored the veto while 19 percent were opposed, and among Democrats, 56 percent favored the veto while 24 percent were opposed. "

That goes to show that there is a HUGE fiscally conservative voting block in NH not tied to either of the old parties. We can even win over 1/2 the Democrats to our side. That just makes our job that much easier.

JM

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2003, 03:27:43 pm »

Several states (IIRC, 24) have LP major party status. Doesn't seem to matter much. I think more can be done by focusing on small, local winnable elections such as those being targeted by the LPNH.

The really important bit of the poll is that "Of the 600 surveyed, ARG said that 450 identified themselves as registered voters. Among that group, 170 were Republicans, 120 were Democrats and 160 were undeclared voters.
Among the Republicans, 85 percent favored the veto, while 11 percent were opposed. Among undeclared voters, 67 percent favored the veto while 19 percent were opposed, and among Democrats, 56 percent favored the veto while 24 percent were opposed. "

That goes to show that there is a HUGE fiscally conservative voting block in NH not tied to either of the old parties. We can even win over 1/2 the Democrats to our side. That just makes our job that much easier.

JM
See this is where the FSP comes in instead of doing things the way that we used to in the LP, which have failed. How we win over Democrats when we eliminate welfare and other federal and state perks is beyond me.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2003, 03:52:21 pm »

We can even win over 1/2 the Democrats to our side. That just makes our job that much easier.

JM

See this is where the FSP comes in instead of doing things the way that we used to in the LP, which have failed.

It's so far failed everywhere except NH (28 Libs in office, 2 Lib ex-gubernatorial candidates working at the statehouse), and to a lesser extent, VT and AZ.

How we win over Democrats when we eliminate welfare and other federal and state perks is beyond me.

It can be done. You just need to be reasonable, work with people, and treat one another with respect. That is something the LPNH is very good at. We're actually well in government, and every side treats the other sides with respect. If you're well known in the LPNH, you'll even be recognized at the statehouse. We work WITH each other whenever possible. We get a lot more of our agenda passed that way.

JM
« Last Edit: July 01, 2003, 03:55:14 pm by jgmaynard »

ZionCurtain

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2003, 03:56:10 pm »

Quote from: ZionCurtain link=board=5;threadid=2193;start=0#msg30605
date=1057091263
We can even win over 1/2 the Democrats to our side. That just makes our job that much easier.

JM
See this is where the FSP comes in instead of doing things the way that we used to in the LP, which have failed.

It's so far failed everywhere except NH (28 Libs in office, 2 Lib ex-gubernatorial candidates working at the statehouse), and to a lesser extent, VT and AZ.

How we win over Democrats when we eliminate welfare and other federal and state perks is beyond me.

It can be done. You just need to be reasonable, work with people, and treat one another with respect. That is something the LPNH is very good at. We're actually well in government, and every side treats the other sides with respect. If you're well known in the LPNH, you'll even be recognized at the statehouse. We work WITH each other whenever possible. We get a lot more of our agenda passed that way.

JM
If the LP has not failed in NH then why is it not already a free state? It has less liberty than other states we are considering, how can you say that is success?

As for being nice to someone and all that does not mean they will vote our way just means they will be friendly back.

Tony Stelik

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a rabid individualist
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2003, 05:14:47 pm »

If the LP has not failed in NH then why is it not already a free state?  
It is very much closer to be free state than you can think.
It has less liberty than other states we are considering, how can you say that is success?

Consider flood of socialism in the east as well as west ocean sides.
What these people did to safeguard constitutional rights in so minimal numbers of activist, amongst whom many libertarians are not even a members of Libertarian Party, I consider BIG success.
Maybe Montana and Wyoming are free-er but not easer to reverse progresive socialization which hapens alo in there. Cost of freedom is the lowest in NH, not that I would not be willing to pay higher if I had to. But we do not need to
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forgive you
Pages: [1]   Go Up