Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How can we abolish NH property tax?  (Read 30163 times)

ZeekLTK

Re: How can we abolish NH property tax?
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2012, 09:41:06 am »

On the original thread topic, it seems like ending property taxes will only come AFTER we majorly cut government spending and privatize on all levels, from state and county, down to city and town. Otherwise, it would just encourage the people who WANT government to keep spending tons to come up with new taxes which are less accountable to the people than a property tax set at the city or town level is.

Indeed.  Property taxes will be the last to go.

But why should people be FORCED to participate in the economy? That is basically what property tax does, it forces you to be in the economy.  It literally takes away the option anyone has of simply buying a piece of land, growing their own food, and self-sustaining. In that situation, the person would have no income, so how are they suppose to pay a property tax? They wouldn't be able to. Then they'd lose their land. Why? Just so YOU can have your roads and schools that they DON'T use?

With sales, income, and other taxes like that - at least the people being taxed are VOLUNTARILY participating. They are choosing to work or choosing to shop, etc. There is no option for property tax. Everyone has to live SOMEWHERE. By supporting property taxes you are forcing these people to participate in the economy against their own will. How is that "freedom"?

Winston Smith

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2012, 09:45:33 am »

As far as I'm concerned, if you have to pay taxes every year on something you've already paid for, you don't really own it at all(I sure hope that is just the result and not the goal of our government)  You should be free to buy land, and never work again if you can sustain yourself off the land that is YOURS.
"Outie belly buttons are the turkey thermometer of a communist."

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 10:07:22 am »

But why should people be FORCED to participate in the economy? That is basically what property tax does, it forces you to be in the economy.  It literally takes away the option anyone has of simply buying a piece of land, growing their own food, and self-sustaining. In that situation, the person would have no income, so how are they suppose to pay a property tax? They wouldn't be able to. Then they'd lose their land. Why? Just so YOU can have your roads and schools that they DON'T use?

With sales, income, and other taxes like that - at least the people being taxed are VOLUNTARILY participating. They are choosing to work or choosing to shop, etc. There is no option for property tax. Everyone has to live SOMEWHERE. By supporting property taxes you are forcing these people to participate in the economy against their own will. How is that "freedom"?

No tax, ever, is compatible with freedom.

Property taxes are the least anti-freedom.

You cannot just buy a piece of land and live there on your own, with no interactions with others.  You'll have tools, seeds, or whatnot that you have to purchase.  A sales tax would interfere with that.  You'll have to earn income to make those purchases, so an income tax will interfere with that.

If you buy some land in NH and don't "develop" it, then you can put it in the "current use" tax category (which, ironically, means that it is not currently "used").  That will get the taxes down to a few dollars a year.  You can probably afford that.  If you cannot... well, the town ain't going to go to the trouble of seizing your land because you "owe" a hundred bucks.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have to pay taxes every year on something you've already paid for, you don't really own it at all

So, under that theory, a sales or income tax means that the government owns me, right?

I find it offensive if they try to lay claim to my property, but nowhere near as offensive as if they try to lay claim to my body and my life.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

freedomroad

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »

If you want to not pay property taxes, live in a part of NH without property tax, live on the water or live on someone else's land.

Heck, in NH, a great deal of land is presumed open to camping. So you could just camp somewhere.

There are other options. You could have a duplex. Live in 1 unit. Rent out the other unit. Use part of the profit from the other unit to pay the property taxes for both units.

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 12:50:29 pm »

If you want to not pay property taxes, live in a part of NH without property tax, live on the water or live on someone else's land.

What makes you think that bodies of water don't have tax assessments? It's acreage, so it's either taxed if private property, or controlled and regulated if it's public property.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »

Love and Peace...
A great deal of land is not presumed to be open to camping.

MaineShark...
If you can't pay a provision exists that property tax payers can find at the bottom of the billing.

For the others...
There was a proposal to change the NH Constitution to further enhance your property taxes.
And that proposal is once again on the legislative agenda.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2012, 05:29:21 pm »

There was a proposal to change the NH Constitution to further enhance your property taxes.

Banning a new state broad-based income tax won't do anything to property taxes. The state doesn't collect general fund revenue from property taxes.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:37 pm »

Banning a new state broad-based income tax won't do anything to property taxes. The state doesn't collect general fund revenue from property taxes.

Of course they do. Money is fungible, and there is NH precedent that specific funding targets may be freely ignored, even in the NH Constitution.

freedomroad

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »

For the others...

If Jason didn't give a hint, I would have had no idea what you meant by this. Show me how property tax rates are related to income taxes? I don't see the connection. It certainly doesn't mention it in Question 1.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2012, 06:35:01 pm »

What makes you think that bodies of water don't have tax assessments? It's acreage, so it's either taxed if private property, or controlled and regulated if it's public property.

I cannot guarantee it, but I spoke to a Realtor who claimed that water, even if developed (eg, marinas on Winnipesaukee) was not taxable.  Of course, the land was assessed higher because it had docks connected to it, but the actual square footage of water enclosed in the marina was not taxed.

I know someone who bought a large boat and put it on Winnipesaukee, because the dock fees were less than he would have paid in taxes on a similar-sized "structure" if on land.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2012, 08:37:30 pm »

The water isn't taxable because it publically-owned.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2012, 08:39:49 pm »

Of course they do. Money is fungible, and there is NH precedent that specific funding targets may be freely ignored, even in the NH Constitution.
For the money to be fungible, it would need to be transferred to the State.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2012, 08:41:50 pm »

For the others...

If Jason didn't give a hint, I would have had no idea what you meant by this. Show me how property tax rates are related to income taxes? I don't see the connection. It certainly doesn't mention it in Question 1.
Property taxes aren't related to income taxes. Unless we are to suggest that the State currently uses income taxes to pay for funding its mandates.

freedomroad

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2012, 08:14:40 am »

For the others...

Property taxes aren't related to income taxes. Unless we are to suggest that the State currently uses income taxes to pay for funding its mandates.

Since the amendment is about new types of income taxes, the state currently doesn't even receive money from such taxes, as it doesn't have them. So, it currently doesn't use them to pay for funding at all.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2012, 08:40:22 am »

Huh? CACR21 was about removing the requirement that the State pay for its educational mandates; thus transferring them onto local property taxes.
It is once again an LSR; meaning it gets another vote.

What your talking about wouldn't be a proposal on the legislative agenda, as its already a ballot question come November.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:43:14 am by John Edward Mercier »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up