Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How can we abolish NH property tax?  (Read 30162 times)

antistate1190

How can we abolish NH property tax?
« on: November 13, 2010, 11:47:56 pm »

I keep hearing from critics of the FSP that NH was a bad state to choose b/c of all the property taxes. I believe property ownership is a fundamental right and property taxes infringe on that right. Do you think it's feasible for property tax to be abolished all together in NH esp. since they claim it's "necessary" to make up for not having income or sales tax?

I think the FSP should be the most focused on preserving the right to own property. Without property rights what other rights do we have? So yes abolish property taxes and bring back this right.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: How can we abolish NH property tax?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 11:59:38 pm »

I keep hearing from critics of the FSP that NH was a bad state to choose b/c of all the property taxes.

Name 3.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:06:22 am »

Since the property tax was established to protect that fundamental right... it probably will never be abolished.
Though its not a certainty once one learns the system.

creaganlios

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:16:13 am »

I propose the OPPOSITE:  replace the local property tax for education with a single statewide property tax based on lot size alone (perhaps with current use safeguards for undeveloped land permitting access).  Force the legislature to set the rate.  Distribute it to schools (public and private) based on a pure per-student basis across the state (Give home educators a property taxc credit up to the amount of their tax).

That complies with Claremont, ends spiraling local budgets caused by vested school cabals that run the local budget elections, expands school choice, and taxes land but not improvements which remain yours without punishment.

CNHT

• Lower Taxes, Less Government, More Freedom!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:46:30 am »

I keep hearing from critics of the FSP that NH was a bad state to choose b/c of all the property taxes. I believe property ownership is a fundamental right and property taxes infringe on that right. Do you think it's feasible for property tax to be abolished all together in NH esp. since they claim it's "necessary" to make up for not having income or sales tax?

I think the FSP should be the most focused on preserving the right to own property. Without property rights what other rights do we have? So yes abolish property taxes and bring back this right.

If you are interested in lowering property taxes, you should have been at the CNHT meeting today. If not, why not?
Even though NH has a fairly low overall tax burden due to no sales or income tax, the property taxes are where you pay the bulk and that is decided once a year at town meeting.

CNHT meetings on the Second Saturday of the month in Concord at 8 North Main. We had a very good meeting yesterday of many folks who are getting involved now that the legislature can be brought somewhat under control.

Questions? webmaster@cnht.org

Thanks!

dude6935

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 03:09:55 pm »

I support use rights of land, not property rights. I support property rights only for the fruits of labor.

For this reason, I see a tax on land value as the least bad tax. I would prefer to eliminate all other taxes before eliminating a tax on land value. So I would support your crusade to eliminate taxes on improvements, but I would oppose your attempt to eliminate the portion of the property tax that is levied on land value (at least until after all other taxes are abolished).

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 05:15:09 pm »

THose people mostly don't know what they are talking about.
I live in a 'high tax' town.  I have over an acre.  I have friends in CA, NY, PA who all pay higher taxes than I do ....and I have a bigger house etc etc.

Most people don't know the truth about 'high property taxes'.  They heard that NH is high so they just repeat it.  Just like people say NH is being invade my MA liberals.
(But I read it on the internet so it MUST be true!)

Also most of the $$ from property taxes stay local so YOU can directly change/lower your taxes if you work locally.  See cNHT.ORG FOR MORE DETAILS.

Also overall NH has the 2nd lowest tax per capita in the nation.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 10:43:46 pm »

I propose the OPPOSITE:  replace the local property tax for education with a single statewide property tax based on lot size alone (perhaps with current use safeguards for undeveloped land permitting access).  Force the legislature to set the rate.  Distribute it to schools (public and private) based on a pure per-student basis across the state (Give home educators a property taxc credit up to the amount of their tax).

That complies with Claremont, ends spiraling local budgets caused by vested school cabals that run the local budget elections, expands school choice, and taxes land but not improvements which remain yours without punishment.
It would transfer the cost to owners of larger parcels smaller than 10 acres. And still wouldn't end local spiralling costs, as the municipalities have the taxing power to supply additional revenue.

Oddly, originally under P2A83... the Legislature used to set the local educational budgets.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:46:47 pm by John Edward Mercier »

creaganlios

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 09:27:53 am »

It would transfer the cost to owners of larger parcels smaller than 10 acres.

As it does now.  No Change.

And still wouldn't end local spiralling costs, as the municipalities have the taxing power to supply additional revenue.

Actually, I would accompany it with a mechanism that prohibited local school districts from raising additional money via property tax  More enterprising solutions would have to be found, and local property tax would only be used for non-school local town government.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:06:21 pm »

Incorrect on your first statement. It currently transfers the cost to owners of more valuable property.
I think you may have meant to use value instead of quantity?

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 07:35:54 am »

I was listening to a talk show once where the topic was property taxes.....

Call after call came in from people that had lost their homes/property, family farm because they could not pay their property taxes.

One person said that their family farm was very modest and had been in their family for generations but they had lost the farm that had been in their family for so long just because they couldn't pay their property taxes.  They had to sell the farm just to pay what they owed from previous years.

Another person called in crying because it would be within the week that this caller would be evicted from their home because they had lost their job in this economy, had not been able to find a job regardless of how badly the caller wanted a job, and the little money the caller had went to lights, food, gasoline to look for work, and left nothing to pay the property tax.  The caller was in tears as the caller felt the grandparents and parents that had worked so hard to pay for and pass down this home had been let down because the caller was unable to keep the home.  The caller went over how much the property taxes had been and how much they had gone up simply because the area had grown.  So, the taxes soared out of what the caller could afford to pay.  This caller tearfully begged the radio host for any help, tips or ideas on how to stay in the home his family had worked so hard for.

Property tax seems like renting from the state.  If the "renter" can't or doesn't pay the tax (rent) they get evicted.  So, are we really just a nation of renters that could become homeless?  Is this correct, or does it not work that way? 

I don't think people should have to worry about losing a family home or farm that has been passed on to them over property tax.  I think a primary residence should be off limits to anyone and everyone for every reason since humans need shelter (if someone has 10 homes, then homes 2-10 are fair game).  Instead, if taxes are mandatory, then why not charge a sales tax on the home when the home is bought/resold?  That is a one time thing that can only be done when a home is sold. 

Can you imagine buying a television for your home and even though you worked to pay the cost of the t.v. and buy it, you had to pay taxes on that t.v. every year.  If you added anything to your t.v. to make it go up in value, like a DVD player, your annual tax on the t.v. increased.  Well, shelter is a necessity for humans, but a person can choose not to buy a t.v.  Also, why punish people with higher taxes for improving their land by taxing them higher because they made the property worth more by improving it?  Don't we want people to make things nicer and better?  Then why punish them financially for doing so?

Well, these are just opinions, and some of the reasons I support ending property taxes nationwide.
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:03:36 am »

On each property tax bill is information on how to receive a tax exemption, abatement, or credit; with one of the reasons for such being 'unable to pay taxes due to poverty or other good cause'.

shooter77

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 03:22:12 pm »

I was listening to a talk show once where the topic was property taxes.....

Call after call came in from people that had lost their homes/property, family farm because they could not pay their property taxes.

One person said that their family farm was very modest and had been in their family for generations but they had lost the farm that had been in their family for so long just because they couldn't pay their property taxes.  They had to sell the farm just to pay what they owed from previous years.

Another person called in crying because it would be within the week that this caller would be evicted from their home because they had lost their job in this economy, had not been able to find a job regardless of how badly the caller wanted a job, and the little money the caller had went to lights, food, gasoline to look for work, and left nothing to pay the property tax.  The caller was in tears as the caller felt the grandparents and parents that had worked so hard to pay for and pass down this home had been let down because the caller was unable to keep the home.  The caller went over how much the property taxes had been and how much they had gone up simply because the area had grown.  So, the taxes soared out of what the caller could afford to pay.  This caller tearfully begged the radio host for any help, tips or ideas on how to stay in the home his family had worked so hard for.

Property tax seems like renting from the state.  If the "renter" can't or doesn't pay the tax (rent) they get evicted.  So, are we really just a nation of renters that could become homeless?  Is this correct, or does it not work that way? 

I don't think people should have to worry about losing a family home or farm that has been passed on to them over property tax.  I think a primary residence should be off limits to anyone and everyone for every reason since humans need shelter (if someone has 10 homes, then homes 2-10 are fair game).  Instead, if taxes are mandatory, then why not charge a sales tax on the home when the home is bought/resold?  That is a one time thing that can only be done when a home is sold. 

Can you imagine buying a television for your home and even though you worked to pay the cost of the t.v. and buy it, you had to pay taxes on that t.v. every year.  If you added anything to your t.v. to make it go up in value, like a DVD player, your annual tax on the t.v. increased.  Well, shelter is a necessity for humans, but a person can choose not to buy a t.v.  Also, why punish people with higher taxes for improving their land by taxing them higher because they made the property worth more by improving it?  Don't we want people to make things nicer and better?  Then why punish them financially for doing so?

Well, these are just opinions, and some of the reasons I support ending property taxes nationwide.

That's exactly how it works you don't own your property you have what's actually a color of title.  If you think you own your home then stop paying your taxes and find out who really owns it.  I believe even when your home is paid off there is some kind of hidden lien attached to the house.  I think it has something to do with fed reserve notes not being lawful money and have heard of people paying that lien off with a couple thousand worth of silver, but I don't fully overstand how all that works.
wanna hear a joke?  Global Warming.  LOL!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 06:34:12 pm »

That's exactly how it works you don't own your property you have what's actually a color of title.  If you think you own your home then stop paying your taxes and find out who really owns it.  I believe even when your home is paid off there is some kind of hidden lien attached to the house.  I think it has something to do with fed reserve notes not being lawful money and have heard of people paying that lien off with a couple thousand worth of silver, but I don't fully overstand how all that works.

It doesn't.

The fact that they can steal your house, does not mean you do not own it.  Someone can steal your car, your computer, your wallet, or anything else that you own.

Taxes are nothing but armed robbery, and there's no magical way to make the mugger just go away because you said specific words in court, or waved silver at him, or whatnot.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

TJames

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 09:31:34 pm »

Alternative sources of conventionally government services need to be provided by other sources or non-libertarians will act as though this is a fight of life and death. If these sources exist just point them out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up