Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for an early mover?  (Read 2746 times)

Ishtar

Advice for an early mover?
« on: November 11, 2010, 05:50:44 pm »

Hi everybody,

After talking about it for what seems forever, and after some recent nasty government related experiences, my boyfriend and I finally decided to take the big step, and become early movers, instead of thinking about moving plans more long term.

Right now, we’d be looking at moving somewhere this summer, at the latest by the end of 2011. We’ve got a pretty clear idea of what we want, and I’ve done a lot of research, but there are still some questions remaining as to what area exactly would be best for us.

I’m currently a college student, going for a BS in chemistry, so a 4 year college that offers this degree would be a must, so that means within about 45 min drive of Dartmouth, Durham, Plymouth, Keene or Manchester.

My husband is a software engineer, and will most likely be working from home, so high speed internet is a must, which I’ve read isn’t available in a lot of places.

We’d like to get and stay in touch with fellow porcupines, and are looking to join some of the activism going on, albeit, not very hard core.

Our eventual goal is to be as self-sufficient as possible, preferable relaying on our own water and electricity supply, growing our own vegetables and raising some animals for meat, so we’re looking for a property with at least a couple of acres, with a nice sized home. Our budget would be around 250.000 maybe stretching as far as 300.000 for the right property.

Based on that information, are there any specific areas any of you here recommend?
People to get in touch with?
People with similar circumstances?
Positive/negative feedback?
Any specific things we need to take into account?

Thanks for the help,

Ishtar

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
Re: Advice for an early mover?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:55:26 pm »

My husband is a software engineer, and will most likely be working from home, so high speed internet is a must, which I’ve read isn’t available in a lot of places.
Many of us early-movers are software geeks. I'm in the same boat as your husband -- work from home, high-speed internet is an absolute must.
I have lived in Nashua, Concord, and now in Hopkinton. I have had excellent high-speed cable in all 3 places.
I'm sure Manchester and the seacoast (Portsmouth) have similar connectivity.

I suspect the only places without good internet are really small towns. There are a lot of those in NH but if you go where the people are, you'll have excellent internet. Trust me.

HardyMacia

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a newfy!
    • Catamount Software
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:29:10 pm »

You really just need to ask the realtor/landlord when you are looking at places to live, then call the phone or cable company to verify what they have for services. Some small towns will have good high speed access others won't.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:50:02 am »

You really just need to ask the realtor/landlord when you are looking at places to live
Yes, that's the best advice. Just inform whoever you're buying or renting from of your requirements. Number of bathrooms, parking, high-speed internet, etc

Redchrome

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:40:36 am »

Having been here for over 4 years and having learned a little about the political process and how politics is really done by the big parties and the people who have been successful; the best advice I can give is that whereever you end up, get involved in your local community. The best activists are not the ones who are 'loud and proud'; but rather are willing to stand up, *listen* instead of speak, and *do* (for other people in their community!) instead of debate.

There are a lot more FSPers here than we know about; and we sometimes only find out about them when they turn up after having gotten elected to some office. These are the sorts we need; because they are the ones who make friends and influence people and don't create a stigma around 'Free Stater'.

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:12:03 pm »

Welcome home.  A GREAT way to move to the state is to attend Porcupine Freedom Festival (June 23-26, 2011) and then STAY!
PM me with any specific questions about rental rates or property values around the state. I work exclusively with buyers, and only liberty-oriented clients at that.  We want to facilitate your move to the Free State.
You might want to chat with Stephanie, who is a MD/PhD student at Dartmouth. She should know about the chemistry programs around the state.  You've already heard from a couple software programmers on this thread -- there are DOZENS of them here that your husband can talk to about job/contract opportunities.
Hurry....
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:43:46 pm »

I'd recommend renting till you're out of college.  Just in case you decide you want to settle somewhere further from a university.

When you buy a property being on your own water will be easy (I am) as long as you don't live in a town without any town water, which is probably the majority of NH.  Your own heat is slightly more difficult, but a house designed for wood with a few acres of woods around it should do.  As for electricity it's quite a bit more complicated, this thread might help: http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=21598.0

High speed internet can be hard to find if your looking for out of the way places.  Where I moved to only recently got DSL available in August.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:42:39 am »

I’m currently a college student, going for a BS in chemistry, so a 4 year college that offers this degree would be a must, so that means within about 45 min drive of Dartmouth, Durham, Plymouth, Keene or Manchester.

Maybe choose the school first then find something close by. After a while maybe you can find just the right thing to buy there.
Dartmouth is totally different than those other places. Keene and Plymouth are party schools. Plymouth is in the prettiest area. Durham is the big one. Anyplace in NH is within 45min of one of those colleges. :)
You would have to go out of your way to end up in a place with bad internet connections. At one time NH had the highest rate of high speed internet users with Utah second. Even my backwoods town finally has dsl. We were the last in our area.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:31:13 am »

Have you signed up as an FSP project participant?

If you think you'll move before the end of September 2011 please sign the Next 1000 Pledgebank page (unless you already have - if so i give you my thanks). The link for this is in my signature.

Also, if you're already in the US, I hope you'll consider joining my Liberty Caravan if you move in September (there may be some other caravans earlier in the year too). It's a group of people moving to NH and traveling together. The facebook event for the caravan is at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=135525403138047. I hope to have the libertycaravan.com website back up shortly as well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:32:58 am by 10stateswithnh »
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!
Pages: [1]   Go Up