Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: AT LEAST 13 Free Staters Elected to the NH House!!  (Read 26007 times)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: AT LEAST 13 Free Staters Elected to the NH House!!
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 08:05:07 pm »

Toowm...
I bet your way off.
Nope
Yep. NH has to balance a budget, and there isn't as much dancing room as even Lynch is suggesting.
So I bet they focus on social issues... same way the Dems did.

Friday

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a browncoat!
    • Shire Liberty News
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:40 pm »

They are defined as libertarians by their ratings from NHLiberty.org (they have to get an A- to qualify).

just how libertarian does one have to be to get the A-?  is there anyway to know how many A+ people got elected?  is the 40-60 A- or better the norm or a significant gain?  Is the grading done on a curve, or against a constant standard?

BigJoe, the NHLA's report card is available online here:
http://www.nhliberty.org/2010_liberty_rating

You could compare it to the election results to get the answer to your first question.  Grading is not done on a curve; it's done on a set, formulaic basis, which is described in detail at the link above.

FYI, the NHLA has its own discussion forum where you are welcome to post further questions about the NHLA:
http://forum.nhliberty.org/ 

but that only helps with any incumbents that won reelection.
I believe I answered the questions you posted.  If you're looking for a psychic projection of future A- or A+ Reps, I'm afraid I can't help you; the local PD impounded my crystal ball and refuses to return it, even though the charges were dropped.
Shire Liberty News - spotlighting activism in New Hampshire: the frontier of freedom
http://www.shirelibertynews.com

BigJoe

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 09:03:30 pm »

They are defined as libertarians by their ratings from NHLiberty.org (they have to get an A- to qualify).

just how libertarian does one have to be to get the A-?  is there anyway to know how many A+ people got elected?  is the 40-60 A- or better the norm or a significant gain?  Is the grading done on a curve, or against a constant standard?

BigJoe, the NHLA's report card is available online here:
http://www.nhliberty.org/2010_liberty_rating

You could compare it to the election results to get the answer to your first question.  Grading is not done on a curve; it's done on a set, formulaic basis, which is described in detail at the link above.

FYI, the NHLA has its own discussion forum where you are welcome to post further questions about the NHLA:
http://forum.nhliberty.org/ 

but that only helps with any incumbents that won reelection.
I believe I answered the questions you posted.  If you're looking for a psychic projection of future A- or A+ Reps, I'm afraid I can't help you; the local PD impounded my crystal ball and refuses to return it, even though the charges were dropped.

NHLA endorsed candidates that were running for the first time, no?  http://www.nhliberty.org/2010/endorsements  on what basis did they endorse candidates who hadn't actually voted on anything? I am trying to see how many of the NHLA endorsed candidates in the election were A+ or A+ projected.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »

Survey. Obviously not perfect.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 12:36:00 am »

If the FSP doesn't say, how is the candidate being dishonest? Our official position has always been to respect participants' privacy. We publish names from time to time, just not without permission.

That's what I meant, the candidate should be the one who makes it known.

Sorry, I'm just rolling my eyes. I see this from time to time: "The candidate should've told us this on non-Issue X. He was dishonest."

Sorry. A candidate doesn't know everything that's important to each and every voter. Did you ask the candidate? --Did anyone ask? If no one asked, it probably wasn't that important.

FSP? I personally don't see it as an issue. The job of the FSP is to get people to move here. It pushes no complex political agenda, nor endorses campaigns, parties, candidates, or specific legislation. For MOST people, there really is no "association" whatsoever to the FSP, Inc. Except that some people moved to NH from somewhere else because the FSP advertised, "This is a good place to live. You should look in to that."

Regardless, the FSP itself rarely knows who is associated with the FSP. You really have to know locals to figure it out. Even today the day after the election, people are still trying to figure it who's a "Freestater" and who isn't. Really, in the end, it doesn't really matter.

Someone said being associated with the FSP can hurt them in an election. The evidence for this is anecdotal, but certainly possible. Particularly in areas where the Free Keeniacs are more well known.

Exactly...people might not want to vote for them if they know they are associated with the FSP, so not telling people that beforehand is not being honest.

It's also possible that people might not want to vote for individuals who've had premarital sex, an abortion, donated money to the NRA or the ACLU, declared bankruptcy, not wanted to hire union workers, blah blah blah, ad nauseum. It doesn't make them dishonest because they didn't tell you everything about themselves. Candidates don't go out to volunteer every detail of their complicated life stories to voters. Candidates try to put their best foot forward, present the political issues, how they're going to address them, face the tough questions, and hopefully (for the candidates' supporters) win the election.

--If someone lied about something, okay, I can see that... but, show me where some one did. Continuing to argue "dishonesty" is sorta ridiculous. Please, spare humanity.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:53:27 am by B.D. Ross »

freedomroad

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 03:07:28 am »

Exactly...people might not want to vote for them if they know they are associated with the FSP, so not telling people that beforehand is not being honest.

You seem to have a very unique understanding of what it means to be honest.

creaganlios

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 08:09:24 am »

I didn't issue a press release announcing that my six children are all adopted, and minorities.  Some people may not want to vote for me if they know I have a vested interest in racial equality.  So not making that announcing is somehow dishonest?

How about the fact that I drive a foreign make of car?  Or the fact that I am a union member? Or that my eyes are grey, I prefer Colgate toothpaste, I was born in New York, and prefer Broadway musicals over plays?   If I leave any of that out, am I dishonest?

As for the FSP, which answer do you want?  The fact I moved here before the FSP chose NH, or the fact that I generally support the FSP?   The fact that I support FSP, but not FK?  The fact that I voted for Maine, and not NH, as the target state?

It seems you are looking to define terms to advance a personal agenda.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 08:20:34 am »

Or the fact that I am a union member?

What, you're a union member?  Thom, I have no problem with your being gay, or any of the other things... but really?  really?

(joke)

Besides, you're a Democrat, they hand out union memberships free when you join.

(joke)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 08:39:59 am »

Nonsense.  There is a big difference between promotion and discussion.

"I believe in XYZ! It's on my signs!"
and
"Hey, can you tell me about your position on XYZ?" "Sure, I like it and support it."

Did you know that one of the selectmen in the governor's hometown, which still went entirely Democrat, is a freestater?  The folks who elected him the first time he ran, they elected him because he's honest, involved, and vocal about the issues.  Then the newspaper outed him in the midst of another story they were covering (long story, but he was never secret about it, BTW).  And he was still reelected, because he's honest, involved, and vocal about the issues.  And most folks didn't care about anything else, now that they knew him.  But if he'd put 'freestater' up front first off, lots of those Democrats wouldn't have voted for him, the first time, or even now.  So is/was he dishonest?  Nope, pragmatic and clearly he made the right call.  (And BTW, I suspect most of them still don't know... because they don't care, they like _him_, so why seek a reason to dislike him?)

As I said, early in this thread:
1) Googling will uncover folks who have been public, or at least involved.
2) Those who are public, we still realize that the stigma of being a 'freestater' is far worse than the reality, so we don't wear it on our sleeves... why SHOULD we?
3) Dave Ridley didn't ask for permission to make his list, nor did Denis Goddard didn't ask for permission during his primary reporting.  But they still should be asking at the least, or it's rude, and they (nor anyone else) shouldn't be outting anyone without prior permission - it's rude.
4) Even those of us with _access_ to the DB of signers, we don't go looking up names... it's NOT our business, it's private.  So there is no 'official' list, we always are going to compile lists by hand, the numbers won't always agree (I guarantee you: any number is always LOW: folks move without signing, other folks move and never out themselves)... because we don't Ask and Don't Tell, but if someone is open about it, it's not hard to find out.  And I'm not aware of anyone who will deny it if they did, though they might ask you to not repeat it widely.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:25:23 am by "Hagrid" »

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 08:49:08 am »

and prefer Broadway musicals over plays? 

This would have been a deal-breaker for me.  You should have disclosed it.

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:03 am »

You seem to have a very unique understanding of what it means to be honest.

Since HC was, by her own standards, dishonest about her intentions here, I'll "out" her: Just go over to what's left of www.freekeene.com and check out her techniques.  In her case, you're not just feeding the troll, you're providing a host for an especially virulent strain of bacteria....

creaganlios

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 10:32:46 am »

and prefer Broadway musicals over plays? 
This would have been a deal-breaker for me.  You should have disclosed it.

AND

What, you're a union member?  Thom, I have no problem with your being gay, or any of the other things... but really?  really?

Wow...I should just exclaim my love for the musical "Evita" with its emphasis on the role of Trade Unions in Argentina, and I could kill two birds with one stone  ;D

Actually, I was an Agency Fee member at my school for 12 years.  The union was ripping itself apart between two 'factions" - one that challenged the administration, and one that was more 'conciliatory.'  I was aksed by both sides to become a member and run for union office, so I did: Mine was the only unchallenged position, so I'm not only a member, I'm an officer!

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 11:23:24 am »

I expect that the new majority will pass a Constitutional Carry bill and likely a bill requiring judges to instruct juries on their right to nullify.  Those two alone would be huge victories.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

ny2nh

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 12:21:27 pm »

Here's some food for thought. Digest first before commenting please.

There were A LOT of pro-liberty types elected. A nice healthy chunk. Some might even say a nice healthy voting block. :)  Some were FSP members, some were not.

Election day is over, but there is still the process of electing the House Speaker and committee assignments. These two things will be important when it comes to moving pro-liberty things forward.

By "outing" who makes up this nice healthy chunk, one thing that could happen is that the less than pro-liberty folks in the GOP will lobby hard for a certain speaker and then I will venture to guess many of the pro-liberty reps will end up on committees where they can be least effective.

Liberty in our lifetime. Isn't that the goal? For those that choose to be in-system types, the legislative process is there way of getting there. Part of the process is strategy. Sometimes stratehy means not posting everything for all to see.....just like a football coach doesn't show his game plan. Be patient....I am confident that soon enough if you are involved at all in NH, you'll know who won.

BTW - I also agree with the fact that the FSP doesn't tell who is a member and who is not.....nor should they. It's no one's business....not even other FSP members'. People, even elected officials, have a right to personal privacy. being a member of the FSP has nothing to do with their political lives....it's just what got them to NH.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 12:28:23 pm »

I expect that the new majority will pass a Constitutional Carry bill and likely a bill requiring judges to instruct juries on their right to nullify.  Those two alone would be huge victories.
What is a constitutional carry bill? And no bill can instruct right to nullify... it would have to be a consitutional amendment. Changing the basis of the document.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up