Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Craig" says "Come on up"  (Read 3401 times)

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
"Craig" says "Come on up"
« on: June 28, 2003, 12:05:12 am »

Hi all:

Amanda Phillips will be writing a full write-up on this soon, but we FSP-NH supporters had our meeting with NH Governor Craig Benson today.

First, when we were first talking to him, he told us to call him Craig... "I hate titles", he said. FSP members are on a first name basis with him. :)

Craig :D also said that he didn't like debating with John Babiarz, because "we agreed on everything".

He also said he would be interested in signing up as a friend of the FSP. We're sending him information. Hopefully, he might join as a full member. :)

AND..... When asked directly how he "would feel about 20,000 small-government activists moving to New Hampshire to work for smaller Goverrnment" he answered "Come on up, we'd love to have you".

The Governor of New Hampshire now officially wants the FSP in the granite state. :)

Amanda will give you all the full story as soon as we get her out of the woods... :D

JM
« Last Edit: June 28, 2003, 12:24:57 pm by jgmaynard »
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

milas59

• I'm a llama!
Re:"Craig" says "Come on up"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2003, 01:20:49 pm »

JGmaynard

Let me ask you why in the 101 Reasons to Pick NH, you guys ignore the fact NH was run by a Big Government Democrat for quite  a few years. In truth its pretty close to 50-50 DEM/REP

Sure Craig Benson can  tell me to come on up, but what are the chances he'll still the governor in four years.?

I ask FSP folks not to be swayed by this NH Outing in the Woods and to recall the 102nd thing about NH is its population is already huge compared to other FSP choices and its growing rapidly.

Anywhere But NH

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2003, 02:14:34 pm »

Let me ask you why in the 101 Reasons to Pick NH, you guys ignore the fact NH was run by a Big Government Democrat for quite  a few years.

Actually, Jeanne Shaheen was a moderate-government Democrat. She got elected because when she first ran in 1996, it was HER and not the Republican who took a pledge of no new taxes.

In truth its pretty close to 50-50 DEM/REP

Where did you get that? Methinks you need to do more research.... The REAL registered numbers are 36% R, 27%D and 37% Independent. And the independent vote is strongly supporting Craig Benson's veto of the state budget.

Sure Craig Benson can  tell me to come on up, but what are the chances he'll still the governor in four years.?

With only about a 9% disapproval rating, pretty good. :D

I ask FSP folks not to be swayed by this NH Outing in the Woods and to recall the 102nd thing about NH is its population is already huge compared to other FSP choices and its growing rapidly.

ALL the states give us a 1:62 ratio or better. One of the western states has a higher population and is growing faster than NH.
PLUS for a straight population to population comparision, the electoral systems and costs would have to be the same... That is not the case.
In NH, we control the budgets in spring elections every year, State Rep candidates only spend about $500 to get elected, and multiseat districts means our candidates would only have to win 5th or 7th place to get elected in many places. Add to that fusion candidates where we can easily run candidates as Lib-Reps or Lib-Dems, and we pick up the straight ticket votes as well. That system is not allowed in most candidate states.
Many state Rep races cost $100,000, even in candidate states. We could elect 200 NH state reps for the cost of one of those elections. The NH state house has one representative who won with only 720 votes, and an 18 year old who won election right out of high school.

Anywhere But NH

Even the most determined of the western fans must realize the NH is "the best of the east". If you'll go "anywhere" else, may I recommend Hawaii... The weather is beautiful. But of course you won't get freedom there. It's ours for the taking in New Hampshire :)

JM
« Last Edit: June 28, 2003, 02:16:46 pm by jgmaynard »

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

milas59

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2003, 04:49:08 pm »

MS Shaheen was not elected because she couldnt solve the school tax problem, my understanding.  With that number of independents, it can easily be 50/50 given the 10% registered disparity.  Like the Unbeatable Mr Bush, we'll wait and see about Benson. The point is all the variables NH FSPers refer continually to are either historical or entirely changeable. Using the one exception of 700 electoral votes is the usual NH hype w/o providing the real data.

Existing population and projected growth rates which exist make NH twice the size of WY or SD or even neighboring VT which few are considering.

Not Hawaii or Big ID or NH  thank you.   Thankfully most FSP folks who have signed on are looking for the state we have the best chance of success in, not out there just fighting for their home state.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 07:19:17 pm »

MS Shaheen was not elected because she couldnt solve the school tax problem, my understanding.  

Not sure that makes sense...

With that number of independents, it can easily be 50/50 given the 10% registered disparity.

It could be. 2002 proves it isn't.  

Like the Unbeatable Mr Bush, we'll wait and see about Benson. The point is all the variables NH FSPers refer continually to are either historical or entirely changeable. Using the one exception of 700 electoral votes is the usual NH hype w/o providing the real data.

If you're trying to beat the old parties, knowing what mark you have to hit is EXACTLY the information you want. And it wasn't electoral votes... Those are something entirely different.

Existing population and projected growth rates which exist make NH twice the size of WY or SD or even neighboring VT which few are considering.

...and getting into office in NH is STILL easier... :D

Not Hawaii or Big ID or NH  thank you.   Thankfully most FSP folks who have signed on are looking for the state we have the best chance of success in, not out there just fighting for their home state.

Yes, that is a good thing... That's why NH supporters on this list and others come from Mass, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Arizona, Texas, Washington, Vacouver, Alabama, Georgia and many other places.

Even many people whose move would be easier going to the west are supporting New Hampshire. why?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2003, 07:20:34 pm by jgmaynard »

StevenN

• Friend of the FSP
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2003, 08:09:02 pm »

Wow, this is great news! He's 'libertarian', he has high approval ratings, his tax vetoes are very popular, and he wants the FSP to come to NH!
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man" -- Jebediah Springfield

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2003, 10:57:46 am »

It wasn't even a tax veto.... The house and senate both passed budgets with no new or raised taxes.... Craig :) made it clear - "No new taxes. No higher taxes. No way." But the house passed a 3% increase in spending, The Senate passed an 11% increase, and they compromised at an 8% increase - It was because the spending increased faster than the rate of inflation that Craig :) vetoed the budget, as he promised he would do.
You're talking about a state house where TWO ex-Libertarian gubernatorial candidates are working with the Governor.

JM

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 08:15:11 am »

What an incredible week!! :D

I need to spend the day catching up on work, but will post more as soon as I can.

This meeting and open-armed welcome of the FSP from NH Governor Craig Benson was the icing on the cake. Because I had met the governor in the past and will hear him speak at the LPNH Convention Nov 1 (he is coming as our lunch speaker) I chose to leave the limited space available for the trip to meet him for other porcupines. Many people are probably just getting home from Escape and catching up on sleep, but they will write more about it from first hand experience. They have photos and quotes. Really exciting!!

Again...what an incredible week!! :D Thanks so much to everyone who came (from 22 states!) and made it such a success.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

robmayn

• Freedom Rising!
    • Citizens For Property Rights
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2003, 09:48:26 am »

It wasn't even a tax veto.... The house and senate both passed budgets with no new or raised taxes.... Craig :) made it clear - "No new taxes. No higher taxes. No way." But the house passed a 3% increase in spending, The Senate passed an 11% increase, and they compromised at an 8% increase - It was because the spending increased faster than the rate of inflation that Craig :) vetoed the budget, as he promised he would do.
You're talking about a state house where TWO ex-Libertarian gubernatorial candidates are working with the Governor.

JM

STOP PLEASE!!!  You are making this poor Vermonter jealous!

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2003, 02:07:12 pm »

It's OK, robmayn..... We'll get Vermont back soon enough. :D

JM

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2003, 02:58:00 pm »

Even the most determined of the western fans must realize the NH is "the best of the east".

Absolutely!  NH is the best of the East and most of the West too(especially over California).

One thing I think a lot of people need to realize as we go into choosing a state, as Joe aka Solitar and others have pointed-out, is that no matter which state wins the FSP vote, it is going to be highly dependent upon having other states lending support.  For example, we need at least 13 states on our side to block a destructive official ammendment/repeal of the Constitution.

Let's not burn bridges as we compare and contrast the states.  Someday, all of us in the state of the FSP choosing may one day be looking to states that we once derided and pleading for their support in our battle, not just for immigration recruits and campaign help, but for votes from their own elected representatives to support a cause that means our success.

This is why I have frequently argued for a state that will augment the regionalism effect, this effect seems greatest in the Intermountain Western states, but there seems to be a bit of 'state brotherhood' in the Northeast also.  Of course, it could work the other way too, making Alaska our best candidate, nobody really seems to know.  One thing we do know for sure is that no state is a political island in this federation of states called the USA.  Some want to deny this fact and dream of secession, but even that will not ever happen until we get several states to agree that our state should have the right to such a cause, and even that won't happen until we get the majority of the people within our state to agree with the cause of the FSP, unfortunatley most of them regard themselves Americans and it may be another generation hence before we see a state that has a libertarian majority that are filled with support for their state first and for their country last.  

Fans of various states beware: Don't burn too many bridges,  the state you mock today may be the role-model or ally you seek tomorrow.  Every single one of our states has some fine point, some piece of legislation, some liberty-group or other factor you may jealously covet or seek to implement into our own chosen state someday.  I am happy to see so many good things coming out of New Hampshire, even if NH is not my #1 favorite state.  Freedom is indivisible,  Freedom is amplified worldwide and illegitimate power and control over mankind go down wherever freedom pops up, whether in Latvia and Estonia or Boise, Idaho it benefits us all, and we should all rejoice instead of be cynical of any good news.

Remember, whether we go to Wyoming, New Hampshire, or North Dakota, the state you help to save may be your own, even if you are from California.

Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 09:37:04 pm »

I've read the rough draft of Amanda's report on our meeting with the Governor. It's good... It's VERY good.... :D
Coming soon folks... The full story....

JM

Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything