Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Survivalism?  (Read 8508 times)

MajesticLeo

• FSP Participant
  • Am neither Dahlai nor Lama
Re:Survivalism?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 06:17:53 am »

Leopard, Thank you, that was what I meant to say, but didn't get it out quite right.  
I'm off to be the Wizard!!!!

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 07:32:57 pm »

at your service, fellow feline!
nothing to say...

preparehandbook

Re: Survivalism?
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 07:49:51 pm »

Porcupines quill system is inherently defensive.

Contrary to folk tales of porcupines "throwing there quills" they are a purely passive defense*

This analogy seems to apply to the FSP who use it as their mascot. I am a survivalist in that I work with red cross and have sustainable living skills. Part of survivng is avoiding violent conflict.

I will raise a sign against my government, I will not raise my hand against my government"

*The 1987 Smith & Wesson "porcupolt" did indeed fire pocupines ballistically, but the creatures were unwilling projectiles.

time4liberty

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »

*The 1987 Smith & Wesson "porcupolt" did indeed fire pocupines ballistically, but the creatures were unwilling projectiles.

Win  ;D

etc

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 02:16:06 am »

Hmmm, well, I am not opposed to violence at all, if someone attempts to harm me or my family they will most certainly be met with violence.   It is my understanding the FSP is not against "violence" as much as against "aggression against another" which is a whole other issue.  I, personally, would much rather live around people capable of being violent in the right situation than knowing they would all just stand around and watch or accept aggression against them.

Might sound like merely a semantic distinction, but I think the distinction is important.  I certainly agree with the statement about "Survivalist" being a term that has been given a bad reputation and an undeserved one.  After all, everyone who moved west from St. Louis in the 1800's and earlier was a "Survivalist" in the strictest sense.

That hits the nail on the head...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:45:06 pm by etc »
New Hampshire Charter: Considering with ourselves the holy will of God and our own necessity, that we should not live without wholesome laws and civil government among us, of which we are altogether destitute, do, in the name of Christ and in the sight of God, combine ourselves together to erect and set up among us such governments as shall be, to our best discerning, agreeable to the will of God.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 05:05:01 am »

It is my understanding the FSP is not against "violence" as much as against "aggression against another" which is a whole other issue.

From the FAQ:

Q: What kind of people are not welcome as members of the Free State Project?

A: Anyone who promotes violence, racial hatred, or bigotry is not welcome.

preparehandbook

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 12:08:16 pm »

I've got a porcupolt, and I'm not afraid to use it.

etc

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 12:51:58 am »

From the FAQ:

How is that view compatible with this?

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself! They are the American people's Liberty Teeth and keystone under Independence. From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere, restrains evil interference -- they deserve a place of honor with all that's good!"
--President George Washington, in a speech to Congress. 7 January, 1790

New Hampshire Charter: Considering with ourselves the holy will of God and our own necessity, that we should not live without wholesome laws and civil government among us, of which we are altogether destitute, do, in the name of Christ and in the sight of God, combine ourselves together to erect and set up among us such governments as shall be, to our best discerning, agreeable to the will of God.

preparehandbook

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 01:53:20 pm »

It's the difference between a person who will use force to defend themselves against force and a person who commits violence to further political means.

I guess if we wanted to be technical the constitution intendend that when faced with the situation we are faced with now we would line the storm washington and drive the bastards out at the muzzle of a gun....

Me, I'm just too chicken, no armed surrections for me.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »

Actually the quote is pretty funny, when considering Washington's role in the War of Aggression.
His later having to 'suck it up' and ask for the French help... and then his immoral actions towards an ally.

Add his actions in the Whiskey Rebellion, after supporting its causation... and the final financial gains he insured to himself.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 08:09:09 pm »

From the FAQ:

How is that view compatible with this?

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself! They are the American people's Liberty Teeth and keystone under Independence. From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere, restrains evil interference -- they deserve a place of honor with all that's good!"
--President George Washington, in a speech to Congress. 7 January, 1790

I don't see him promoting violence, racial hatred, or bigotry. How is incompatible?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up