Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: worried about acceptance  (Read 5260 times)

preparehandbook

worried about acceptance
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:12:22 pm »

My wife and I currently live in California. Last year we lost the farm (literally) a homesteading project we had been doing for a couple of years in Hawaii, long story short... the volcano on the big island has been spewing toxic gas for the last year or so and a lot of people are dying (find that on CNN), then the economy tanked and that was the end of that.

My concern comes from the non-volcano problems we had upon moving to Hawaii. There was a very strong resistance to people moving in from out of state. This manifested in a strong concerted effort to make people feel unwelcome. Law enforcement disputes were resolved based on how long you lived there, I had a family history from HI so could get by, but property/safety rights really didn't exist reliably for transplants, racial violence was a constant problem. I know Hawaii is particularly bad for this, and I have encountered this in other regions, but I have also heard that the east coast is not friendly to west coast transplants.

My wife and I have just discovered the FSP and it fits perfectly with our beliefs, more so than I thought was possible. before this Washington state and Norway were at the top of our short list of possible relocation destinations.

How would Californians be recieved? Would our state of origin even matter? Are there any California refugees out there who could relate their experience?

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: worried about acceptance
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:04:51 am »

Violent crime? Relatively rare here. The people are generally nice (then again, most people are...).

Some notable former Californians will certainly be along shortly... the current president of the FSP was in California before he moved. You might actually be able to find some old posts on people from California. Memory tells me this questions comes up a lot. Let me see if I can't find something...

time4liberty

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:13:54 am »

I'm a native NHite, in california now, moving back soon :). Look forward to seeing you in NH!

Jacobus

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:30:25 am »

It seems like half the "native" people we meet here in southern NH moved from out-of-state.  I don't think you'll have any problems. 

joanb

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 08:33:45 am »

Don't worry about acceptance here in NH! That's one of the best things about the FSP- everyone is from somewhere else. All are welcome  :)

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:09:19 am »

I moved from CA and I can think of at least 10 FSPers who moved from CA.

You may hear a joke or two but nothing beyond that.

Tell people you moved from CA BECAUSE of high taxes etc... and they will smile... and say you want to keep NH ...NH and you will be accepted.

time4liberty

LTVOLT

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 11:09:34 am »

as long as you say you moved away from california to get away from it, not to bring those values to NH you will be fine

preparehandbook

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 01:36:43 pm »

as long as you say you moved away from california to get away from it, not to bring those values to NH you will be fine

California's values were paralel with mine for a little while and only to a small degree. Somewhere in the late 70's we grew apart and developed ireeconcilable differences. I still love California but I'm not IN love. I really hope California and I can remain friends, but I think some distance would help us remain close.

time4liberty

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 08:24:02 pm »

California's values were paralel with mine for a little while and only to a small degree. Somewhere in the late 70's we grew apart and developed ireeconcilable differences. I still love California but I'm not IN love. I really hope California and I can remain friends, but I think some distance would help us remain close.

lol ;D

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:22:54 pm »

Yup, if you are here to "Keep New Hampshire New Hampshire," (as I've been saying since about 2004) then you'll likely be accepted.  If you come in like you're here to tell people how to do things, you're as likely to be accepted as anyone else from California who acts like they know better.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

preparehandbook

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 02:53:08 am »

Yup, if you are here to "Keep New Hampshire New Hampshire," (as I've been saying since about 2004) then you'll likely be accepted.  If you come in like you're here to tell people how to do things, you're as likely to be accepted as anyone else from California who acts like they know better.

The only good thing I saw in hawaii was bumper stickers that said "we don't care how you do it on the mainland" the concept works well if you insert any state/region for the word "mainland"

We are very practical folks, We've done a lot of homesteading, been off grid for 7+ years, but could care less if you want to own a 20 room mcmansion. we're very much into the nuts and bolts aspect of getting by. What doesn't work for us here is that if you see the constitutiion as a real set of laws, vs a historical quirk, you are seen as a radical extremist of the sort likely to plot coups or fly a plane into something.

Currently there is a strong effort to limit/regulate any and all vegetable gardening in california and it is now probable cause for a search to have a garden in an urban setting. Yep, you heard right, screw the constitution, as our attorney general stated, "Why do these individuals feel so strong a need to hoard food that they need they're own supply that they're neighbors can't have? What armegeddon are they preparing for?" This was in response to LEO's raidng a suburban house based soley on the fact that the family was regularly seen tending their backyard garden.

Live and let live is seen as a freakish thing here.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 06:33:10 pm »

I lived in SoCal for 8 years before moving here.  I feel very welcomed here.

waifofthenorth

• Wandering Waif of the North
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 09:19:21 pm »

I live in an apartment in CA, so I don't have a garden, but raiding people with backyard gardens is seriously weird. That's even more wrong than the "raw milk" raids.

Maybe I will have to start telling people I'm fleeing CA for political reasons...

preparehandbook

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 01:49:23 pm »

What bums me is the folks who prefer raw milk, who like to grow their own food, these aren't people to be feared. But I'll give my governement somewhere near the trust it gives me, which is none.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up