Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How can we convince more NH youths to drop out of government school?  (Read 18374 times)

dude6935

Re: How can we convince more NH youths to drop out of government school?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 11:29:07 am »

Why is there no mention of private schools? Don't schools get funded based on the number of students they have? So if you convince people to go to private school you will cut funding to public school and reduce your own taxes. Push for vouchers and/or charter schools as a path to privatization.

There is little to be gained by targeting kids, they can't make these decisions until they are like 16. Parents make most of these decisions.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 02:19:13 pm »

Private schools don't involve any public funding. While charter, vouchers, and conventional public would receive State funding based on the number of students and 'offsets'. Vouchers aren't popular because the means to use them does not exist.

Charters schools, so far, have failed to remain fiscally viable within State/federal public funding mechanisms. I believe them to be viable, but not within the models that were chosen.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 07:32:00 pm »

Someone mentioned the age of 16. At what age is a high school student in NH legally allowed to drop out. 18? 16? Is the answer different if they emancipate themselves?
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

slothman

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:37 pm »

When private schools are cheap enough or homeschooling can be easily done while both parents still work.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 08:50:06 pm »

Someone mentioned the age of 16. At what age is a high school student in NH legally allowed to drop out. 18? 16? Is the answer different if they emancipate themselves?
18. And I would presume so with emancipation, but I don't know.

BigJoe

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 11:39:02 am »

When private schools are cheap enough or homeschooling can be easily done while both parents still work.

as long as the market is dominated by public schools, private schools will never be cheap enough due to the crowding out effect.

Vouchers are no good, that will just lead to even more regulation of private schools and will keep prices high.

I think one of the key first steps is to get rid of all or at least make compulsory education and child labor laws more liberty friendly.

Then start banning rich kids from attending public school, and then start moving that bar lower and lower, all while lowering taxes since there will be less need for school funding with fewer kids attending.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 03:02:53 pm »

Your insinuation is wrong.

dude6935

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 11:44:53 am »

Vouchers aren't popular because the means to use them does not exist.

What does that mean?

Charters schools, so far, have failed to remain fiscally viable within State/federal public funding mechanisms. I believe them to be viable, but not within the models that were chosen.

Why do you say they aren't viable? I was under the impression that they are growing. New York just increased the number of charters they would allow by hundreds.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 11:51:06 am »

We had several charter schools within NH, they fell apart.
Vouchers aren't viable because other options don't really exist in many cases. But in any case, the State (federal?) funding follows the student.

We would need to provide the mechanisms for the system to function...

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 12:37:41 pm »

But in any case, the State (federal?) funding follows the student.

If this is true, then should I expect a check in the mail from the state of NH, and possibly the US Dept of Education?  After all, I'm homeschooling my kids.  That should save my local school at least $5,000k-$10,000k per year, per student.    >:D

Actually, not only will I not receive education $$ for homeschooling my kids, it is also my understanding that the public schools in NH have lobbied to receive (or possibly already receive?) funding for the students who are homeschooled in their districts.  Does anyone know whether the schools actually receive $$ from the state for these students?  I think the supposed justification for this is that homeschooled students in NH are technically allowed to participate in some activities at public schools (athletics, for example), which potentially costs the schools some amount of $$.  Though from my perspective it looks a little more like a money-grab.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »

As far as I know, the State Education grants don't include athletics, maybe that is federal funding.
I believe that legislative work is being done for some format of tax abatement for private tutorial.

slothman

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 04:52:58 pm »

I think one of the key first steps is to get rid of all or at least make compulsory education and child labor laws more liberty friendly.

Then start banning rich kids from attending public school, and then start moving that bar lower and lower, all while lowering taxes since there will be less need for school funding with fewer kids attending.

I think comp edu should be removed.
It seems like slavery to me, just like drafting but that is a different story.
I also think labor laws of various kinds should be removed; if a child wants to work then why not.
Again, off topic though.

It almost seems good to require rich people to go to public schools.
That way they will lobby to get improved teaching like private schools would do.

Jacobus

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 07:32:59 am »

You can help move kids from government to non-government schools by donating to the Liberty Scholarship Fund:)

BigJoe

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 08:38:05 am »

It almost seems good to require rich people to go to public schools.
That way they will lobby to get improved teaching like private schools would do.

why would that be good?

dude6935

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 12:00:35 pm »

We had several charter schools within NH, they fell apart.

A Google search seems to show that there are plenty of charter schools in NH right now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up